Day hiking in the San Juans - Part 2 of 2

Janice

After spending the first half of our vacation in Ouray, we went to Telluride for the second half. Our son was eager to spend time there, and even though it's more upscale than I'd like, it worked out well because there are so many trails and roads right from town. While my husband and I hiked, our sons made great use of the jeep roads for running and mountain biking. In the evenings, we enjoyed taking the free gondola up the ski mountain for sunset viewing. Again, we made great use of @Diane Greer 's advice and excellent book and website when planning our hikes. The wildflowers were incredible, and I loved all the aspens. I'm scheming for a return trip in Sept. 2025 to enjoy the hikes again with fall color.

The Sneffels Highline loop was outstanding. We got completely soaked at the end, but that didn't diminish our enjoyment of it at all.
I can't wait to come back and see all these aspens in the fall.
IMG_1481.jpg

Telluride's ski slopes are visible across the valley
IMG_1499.jpg

We felt like climbing this just for fun. "Real" climbers could have scaled it in about 5 seconds, but for us it was the perfect challenge.
IMG_1507.jpg

Switchbacks lead to the saddle on the left (not visible)
IMG_1542.jpg

Very rocky at the saddle
IMG_1591.jpg

Big views looking back the way we had come
IMG_1574.jpg
It's very satisfying to identify the mountains using the PeakFinder app.
IMG_2292.jpg

Big views looking down to where we'll be next - in Mill Creek Basin

IMG_1595.jpg

Heading down from the saddle
IMG_1605.jpg

It was at this point that I noticed something pretty cool. In the ridge ahead of us, there was a keyhole window and interesting rocks whose shapes resembled ones I had seen above Upper Blue Lake the other day. Later I looked more carefully at the map, and sure enough they were the same rocks and window, just from 2 different sides of the ridge. Since I take a zillion photos, I had no trouble finding ones that matched up. I put them together in this "Both Sides Now" picture. From Both Sides.png
We made our way down and saw so many beautiful wildflowers. Too many pictures to include them all!
IMG_1614.jpg
IMG_1675.jpg
I had never noticed these "nodding ragwort" before.
IMG_1689.jpg
IMG_1766.jpg

I knew from our Utah trips that Abajo and Pennell are very far away.
IMG_2285.jpg

IMG_1742.jpg
So many aspens down below, in addition to the ones we walked by in the forest. This hike really will be stunning at peak fall color.
IMG_1753.jpg
IMG_1783.jpg
IMG_1788.jpg

Oh my, will that rain across the way come our way???
IMG_1798.jpg

Not that rain, but other storms came our way. During the hailstorm, we took shelter under a short pine tree for a little while. I was fascinated to see that half of each aspen trunk was wet and half was dry.
IMG_1810.jpg

After the hail, it stopped raining but then started up again and kept going for the rest of our hike. There's been a lot of rain in these woods...
IMG_1801.jpg

The rain cleared up and that evening we took the free gondola up to enjoy sunset. The LaSals were visible way off in the distance.
IMG_1817.jpg

The next day, we did a shorter hike to Lake Hope, where there were beautiful wildflowers again. Our rental SUV did OK on the long rocky road to the TH, but we easterners are not used to that kind of driving!

View looking back behind us on the way to Lake Hope
IMG_1860.jpg

We saw less fireweed on this trip than on other years' summer trips. Maybe this time we were at higher elevations earlier.
IMG_1868.jpg

Vermillion Peak
IMG_1871.jpg

Tons of flowers above the lake
IMG_1891.jpg
IMG_1898.jpg
Heading up to the pass
IMG_1943.jpg
IMG_1947.jpg

View of the other side from the pass
IMG_1958.jpg

Dark clouds forming - better get down quickly. Will we get soaked again? (NO - hooray!)
IMG_1965.jpg

While we were hiking, our kids were doing massive runs and mountain bike rides. In the evening, we took the gondola up again for a picnic and more sunset viewing.
IMG_2027.jpg

While we were watching, the Telluride airstrip lights turned on. "Hmmm... do they always do that at night? No, we didn't see them the night before. Does that mean a plane is coming? Yup, there's a light..." We had a good time watching the plane come in for a landing.
IMG_2028.jpg

Our final hike was another spectacular one, Lizard Head. On previous days, we had already seen Lizard Head, Mt. Wilson, Wilson Peak, etc. off in the distance multiple times. It started in the woods, and I'm filing it away for doing again during fall aspen color.
IMG_2036.jpg

We got to Black Face Mtn and weren't sure if the weather would permit us to do the whole loop or if we'd have to turn back. We had started early (as on all the other days - no sleeping in on this vacation!) but didn't know if we'd be able to get down before the storms arrived. We decided to give the loop a try and were so glad we did. Here are some of the views at Black Face:
IMG_2062.jpg
IMG_2093.jpg
IMG_2065.jpg

PeakFinder showed 74 visible peaks at that spot. This is a screenshot of only the first page out of 6.
IMG_2077.png

There were lots of puffy clouds, so the light and shadow kept changing. We got lots of different views of Lizard Head and the other peaks, partly because of the shadows and partly because the trail brought us from one side to the other and down below. It all looked great!
IMG_2099.jpg
IMG_2146.jpg
IMG_2156.jpg

It was fun to walk across this part.
IMG_2168.jpg

Oh no - will that rain get us? (Not that rain, but later yes...)
IMG_2183.jpg

Looks rather ominous...
IMG_2187.jpg

We were fascinated by the volcanic black sand/rock.
IMG_2206.jpg

IMG_2210.jpg

We went down the Cross Mountain trail, which was a bit less interesting than the parts we had done so far. But we saw some interesting things along the way:
IMG_2229.jpg
IMG_2239.jpg
IMG_2241.jpg
IMG_2244.jpg

We would have walked the final part of the loop along the old railroad bed parallel to the road, but it was quite open there and unappealing amidst the rain and thunder. We got a ride from the Cross Mtn TH to the Lizard Head TH and heard about 2 people who had been hit by lightning nearby - well below treeline but out in the open like where we would have been walking. It felt good to be safe in their truck...

We thoroughly enjoyed this trip. We missed backpacking but were glad to spend time with our kids and to enjoy the spectacular scenery. We will be back!

Last edited:
Many, many years since I've been down there. Used to 4x4 all over that country in the late 70s. Skiied Telluride a lot, way before it was a destination.
Did he jeep Blackbear Pass? Thats a highlight.

Probably way crowded now. And I'm sure the Town is very expensive.

Great to hear about your experiences, @Bob. Yes, the town is full of people and very expensive now. We had brought trail food from home and got groceries before arriving, so that helped a little bit. We had no interest in fine dining but picnic food and casual dining were still $$$. Oh well.

I have to say that my older son ran up the jeep road to Black Bear Pass. I think it was on that road that he passed a jeep while running up. And he ran up Imogene Pass. And Bridal Veil. He's got a LOT of energy!
IMG_8068.jpg

Parts one and two look wonderful @Janice !

Abundant wildflowers, distant views, decent weather. So glad you were able to experience a great trip and spend time with family. :thumbsup:

I like to think that I have a lot of energy. There was a time when I probably had more energy than I do now. . . because thinking of your son running up to the pass sounds exhausting! :)

Back