Day Hike in Yosemite -- Panorama Trail

TractorDoc

Having recently joined the forum a lot of my adventures will have a past tense vibe to them. I felt compelled to contribute at least one trip report -- this one is more of a Day Hike but still provided some nice scenery.

A couple years back the Mrs. and I had an epic road trip planned that was cancelled due to wildfires closing our accommodations around Yellowstone. As a consolation we booked a last minute flight into San Francisco in September (2016 -- hopefully backtracking this far does not break any forum rules!). She wanted to do some sightseeing in the city but also joined me for a couple days in Yosemite. One of our days focused on the Panorama Trail from Glacier Point down to the valley floor. I will admit that we took the bus up to Glacier Point vs. hiking up -- our time was somewhat limited due to staying outside the park with last minute lodging.

Glacier Point was busy as always; smoke from wildfires provided a somewhat hazy view.

IMG_2733.JPG

Moving away from the overlook and down the Panorama Trail the people disappeared and some of the smoke started to dissipate as well.

IMG_2765.JPG

A little farther along and you can make out Nevada and Vernal Falls -- destinations for later in the day.

IMG_2782.JPG

Initially the trail is easy going and downhill. . .

IMG_2784.JPG

But that would change once we passed Illilouette Falls -- a moderate climb is in store on the way to Nevada Fall. Part of the trail is sort of visible on the left side in the foreground.

IMG_2791.JPG

A closer view of Illilouette Falls and a better view of the trail above. Somewhere along that stretch of trail is Panorama Point.

IMG_2800.JPG

The views were outstanding; enough smoke had cleared during the day to allow good visibility.

IMG_2814.JPG

A controlled burn was actually taking place in the valley below.

IMG_2830.JPG

The trail leveled out a bit on the way to Nevada Fall.

IMG_2833.JPG

We came across two to three people on the trail the entire day up to this point. It was very pleasant and peaceful. That changed when we arrived at Nevada Fall -- picnickers and sunbathers everywhere. After resting our legs for a bit we headed off and soon had the trail to ourselves again.

IMG_2847.JPG

We took the Mist Trail along side Vernal Falls the rest of the way down. The falls were but a trickle and influenced by a strong breeze.

IMG_2848.JPG

From here it was a lot of stairs and an easy path back.

Not an epic adventure by any means but it was a great way to spend an afternoon. I hope to have more substantial reports forthcoming ;) .

Attachments

• IMG_2840.JPG
    IMG_2840.JPG
    897.2 KB · Views: 47
Amazing! For how close I live to Yosemite, I have still never hiked there and have only been there once.. Glad you got to experience it! Even with that fire, the views look powerful!

thanks for sharing. we did that hike four years ago, it's a good one. don't worry about posting from the past, it's more than welcome.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Miya My First Hike in Yosemite Hiking & Camping 14
Brian Skibbe Yosemite half-dome hike, October 2016 Hiking & Camping 3
Mike Jones 2 day back country hike Yosemite? Trip Planning 2
M Lost a drone in the San Rafael River area/below the wedge. No time to hike in to retrieve. General Discussion 0
TrailScot Day hike in the Upper East Side of Zion - October 2023 Hiking & Camping 5
TrailScot Upper Paria Loop Hike - September 2023 Backpacking 4
OldBill Short hike at the Grand Canyon of Pennsylvania Hiking & Camping 1
kwc Fall hike to Chase Lake, Southern Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 1
O YNP Union Falls easy hike Aug 4-8 2023? Meet Up (Members Only) 9
kwc Another Adirondack Hike Hiking & Camping 3
kwc Hadley Mountain hike Hiking & Camping 1
T America's Wildest Through-hike General Discussion 0
kwc Short Snowshoe Hike today, Southern Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 2
kwc Another Southern Adirondacks hike - Clockmill Pond and Rock Lake Hiking & Camping 0
Ellen What are your favorite spots to hike and camp in December? Trip Planning 10
F The El Camino Real, A failed hike. Backpacking 16
P Scatman's Grizzly Lake hike, 2022 Backpacking 28
Jackson Quick day hike in the Montana Absarokas Hiking & Camping 13
kwc Adirondack Hike to Middle Lake Hiking & Camping 0
TrailScot "I'll take the High Road ..." - A Loop Hike around the Canyons of Needles - May 2022 Trip Reports 14
norwegianxplorer Hiking Sierra de las Nieves, Spain. Sunrise hike from Yunquera, Andalusia, Wild boar and Spanish Ibex Hiking & Camping 0
Rockskipper Afraid to hike alone? Go with this guy - or maybe not. General Discussion 2
Titans Birthday hike Nov 2021 Hiking & Camping 13
P A short hike on the AT in Shenandoah National Park Hiking & Camping 0
kwc Hadley Mountain Fire Tower hike, Southern Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 1
seekinglost 1000 Mile Nevada Thru Hike on the Basin and Range Trail Trip Reports 14
kwc Short hike to a fire tower Hiking & Camping 3
MikeP Canmore Thru-Hike Trip Planning 1
JuddOutdoors Hike To Grass Lake //Desolation Wilderness //Lake Tahoe Basin Hiking & Camping 0
kwc Blue Mountain hike, Central Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 0
kwc Goodnow Mountain fire tower hike Hiking & Camping 2
norwegianxplorer Mt Whitney Virtual Hike via Horseshoe Meadows & Mt Langley, Sequoia Kings Canyon National Park Backpacking 1
kwc Winter Hike into Broomstick Lake 1/13/21 Hiking & Camping 2
Outdoor_Fool October Denali Hike Hiking & Camping 21
Tomaswmitchell Cuberant Lake hike, Bigfoot tracks? Video Hiking & Camping 2
kwc Stony Pond hike, Central Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 1
Arizona Jones Willow Valley Loop Hike, Arizona Canyoneering 8
kwc Hurricane Mtn hike in the Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 2
regehr quick Medicine Bow / Laramie-area hike? Trip Planning 0
ramblinman Boulder Creek Day Hike, Escalante National Monument Hiking & Camping 5
J Family hike in the Maze in June? (Canyonlands / Moab) Am I crazy? Trip Planning 5
U Just picked up a permit for Shelf Lake 2 nights in Mid/Late July. Any ideas for a day hike/summit from there? Trip Planning 0
kwc Adirondack Spring Hike #? Hiking & Camping 1
kwc Another Hike in the Adirondacks 5/13/20 Hiking & Camping 3
kwc Yet Another Adirondack Hike 5/5/20 Hiking & Camping 1
kwc Another Adirondack Hike 4/23/20 Hiking & Camping 2
Perry Afternoon Hike in Redrock Canyon Trip Reports 2
Perry Day Hike Exploring the Wasatch Ridge Line Hiking & Camping 5
Yvonne Snow Hike up the West Rim, December 15, 2019 Hiking & Camping 7
Benjamin Hayden Looking for good hike away from people in Sedona in mid-February Trip Planning 3