Dark Canyon Complex Water Data

Monte80

Hello, new to the site, first post. Does any one have current water data for the Dark Canyon Complex? Like say over the last month? I am planning a "loop" that consists of Sundance, Lean-to, up Bowdie south fork, half-way down Bowdie north fork, maybe a part of Gypsum, Fable Vally, Young's Canyon, Dark Canyon exit. Earlier this year I took Dark, to Youngs, to mid-Fable, counter clockwise around Wild Cow point, back to Fable, etc... There was one long heavy water carry, and once where I probably should've looked for water bet kept walking until my desired endpoint where I knew there was water. But, I'm not looking to chance a half-day without water for these upcoming plans. I have looked over many maps, and the NatGeo set shows spring designations throughout the desired route, but from experience, not all designations are accurate or year-round. I've also spoken with BLM who said they haven't had boots on the ground in that area for a while, and do not have any current available water information, except that the climate has been dry in the area in general. So, I was just trying to find more current water data for the area. Thank You

No experience in Bowdie/Gypsum/Fable Valley, but there is reliable water in Dark between the confluence with Youngs and the Colorado.

Fable valley.... Good spring at junction of gypsum. Potholes down gypsum to falls. Past falls to river..usually some water. Bowdie what I'd call east.. water at big pouroff.... Which you have to climb way up on west side to get around. Water quite often down to junction. Water at high pouroff in main canyon... Also nice ruins above it. What I'd call west for. A small spring about halfway up then dry canyon. I'd have to check my maps for more exact. Never had problem getting regular water thru the entire fable-gypsum-cilorado-bowdievloop or the entire bowdie drainage loop..... But it was quite a few years ago and in early May....

Thank You All! This, combined with the info I received from canyoncollective earlier will be of great help and comfort.

To piggyback on, is there any reason to think Dark itself would be dry in a drought year like this one? Thinking of doing a few nights(but not the Allen traverse) in Dark/Youngs late October.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Nethos Into Dark Canyon Backpacking 12
SeanIsADesertRat Old guys backpacking in Dark Canyon Backpacking 17
B Dark Canyon - Young's to Lean-to Traverse Trip Planning 3
fossana An Allen inspired trip to Dark Canyon Backpacking 32
JBPHXAZ Dark Canyon Backpacking Help Trip Planning 9
Mikjik86 8 Days Backpacking Dark Canyon Wilderness Backpacking 2
Mikjik86 Short Video: Backpacking/Packrafting Dark Canyon Wilderness, Utah. April 2019 Backpacking 0
regehr Allen-ish dark canyon loop video Backpacking 5
Stephanie B Behind the Rocks, Ken's Lake Faux Falls, U-Turn Canyon, Seven Mile Canyon, and Dark Angel Hiking & Camping 4
T Dark canyon - lower blm portion with pack goats?? Canyoneering 2
Gregg B. Dark Canyon/Gypsum Canyon/Cataract Canyon Loop Trip Planning 17
Kullaberg63 Allen's Dark Canyon route Trip Planning 18
MarkintheHV Dark Canyon Trip Planning 4
George_Washington_Hayduke Clearwater Canyon, Black Hole of White Canyon, Dark Canyon, Swett Canyon "Packraftoneering" Canyoneering 6
BJett Dark Canyon Wilderness - Wilderness Volunteers Backpacking 12
J Dark Canyon/Gypsum Loop Trip Planning 16
cmgz Dark Canyon-Woodenshoe to Sundance Backpacking 4
J Dark Canyon Trip Planning 3
Cody Dark Canyon Backpacking 6
Bob Dark Canyon - Dry Mesa Area Backpacking 3
Rockskipper Interesting article about dark sky parks General Discussion 12
dug Dark Cyn/Fable Valley approach roads Trip Planning 5
Nick Poll: Dark vs. Light - 2018 Edition General Discussion 9
Dave Afraid of the Dark Backpacking 12
Nick Dark to Cataract to Hite Backpacking 27
Artemus Dark skies for naked eye astronomers and photographers Photography 16
Nick Poll: BCP Dark & Light? Questions, Suggestions & Support 26
Bob Dark Sky Finder Resource Discussions 5
Backcountry Post BCP - Dark or Light? General Discussion 2
Archbishop I've joined the dark side........ And I LIKE IT! General Discussion 3
Nick Poll: Light vs. Dark Theme Questions, Suggestions & Support 11
fossana Found: prescription glasses near the top of the Flipoff Canyon approach General Discussion 5
Spud Salt Creek Canyon question Trip Planning 11
B Buckskin gulch/Pariah canyon Carpool Trip Planning 0
TractorDoc Paintbrush Canyon / Cascade Canyon Loop -- Grand Teton NP September 11, 2023 Hiking & Camping 9
Kullaberg63 15 day canyon route Backpacking 13
Titans Tricked in the canyon! Hiking & Camping 5
TrailScot Dayhiking the Under-the-Rim Trail - Bryce Canyon NP - October 2023 Hiking & Camping 4
Janice Such a GRAND Canyon - Deer Creek / Tapeats / Thunder River Backpacking 21
M Mee/Knowles Canyon Loop, Grand Junction Colorado Backpacking 4
OldBill Short hike at the Grand Canyon of Pennsylvania Hiking & Camping 1
S Paria Canyon- Whitehouse to Lees Ferry, Oct 18 to 21, 2023 Trip Reports 0
scatman Yellowstone's Thorofare, Headwaters of Thorofare Creek, Majo Pass, Younts Peak, Bob's Canyon, and Cub Creek - August 9, 2023 - Days 7 through 10 Backpacking 34
scatman Yellowstone's Thorofare, Headwaters of Thorofare Creek, Majo Pass, Younts Peak, Bob's Canyon, and Cub Creek - August 9, 2023 - Days 1 through 6 Backpacking 56
A Bowdie Canyon Trip Planning 10
TheMountainRabbit Silas Canyon (Popo Agie Wilderness) - August 2023 Backpacking 3
J Paria Canyon - One Day Trail Trip Planning 10
Bob The New Grand Canyon Trip Planning 1
WhozWutz Invite Horse Canyon Needles Meet Up (Members Only) 1
BJett Part 3 - Tour de Canyon Country. Lower Escalante Loop Hiking & Camping 0