Daddy Daughter: To the Notch & 17 Lakes

Fantastic on multiple levels. Thanks for the write up. I'll be visiting this area for a little backpacking trip with my 7-year-old son, so this was very helpful.

Where did you get your kids backpack.? I have been looking for one for my oldest (6) son but cant find one that fits the narrow shoulders and short torso.

Where did you get your kids backpack.? I have been looking for one for my oldest (6) son but cant find one that fits the narrow shoulders and short torso.

It was the previous model of the REI Passage. They had them on their outlet site for about $60 but I don't see them listed on their anymore so they must have cleared them all out.

This is just awesome. I have a 7 year old daughter (and a 10 year daughter) and she loves the Uintas.
I've done very well fishing at Clyde lake. The last time I was there (2014) in the morning there were decent sized brookies cruising the shore that would readily take a small black gnat.
These are the things your adorable daughter will remember about her daddy.

So... old TR, but I have a question, if you'll indulge me (looks like I'll be spending a week in Park City with my in-laws for a family reunion, and I'm looking for any excuse I can come up with to avoid spending too much time sitting around staring at each other.) I've usually seen a variation of this loop done as a day hike. The mileage on caltopo seems fairly short; even if you go over to Ibantik and back, we're talking less than 8 miles. I won't be there with anyone as young as your daughter I don't think (unless some nieces or nephews end up tagging along); my youngest son is 12, and he's quite large and athletic for his age (and he just finished the hiking merit badge a few weeks ago) so I'm not worried about his ability to do the whole thing in a day. But let me know if I'm being unreasonable in my expectations! We're not used to altitude, at least.

Also: it looks like you went around to the south of the Twin Lakes to join the trail going back up to the Notch. I've seen some other variations where from the end of the Clyde Lake trail they went around the north of the Twin Lakes on the ledges or benches to the Notch. Any comments on that? How hard does it look to route-find up that way? Based just on the topo and a few low resolution high distance pictures, it looks easy, but you never know, right?

<iframe width="100%" height="500px" src="http://caltopo.com/m/ET22"></iframe>

So... old TR, but I have a question, if you'll indulge me (looks like I'll be spending a week in Park City with my in-laws for a family reunion, and I'm looking for any excuse I can come up with to avoid spending too much time sitting around staring at each other.) I've usually seen a variation of this loop done as a day hike. The mileage on caltopo seems fairly short; even if you go over to Ibantik and back, we're talking less than 8 miles. I won't be there with anyone as young as your daughter I don't think (unless some nieces or nephews end up tagging along); my youngest son is 12, and he's quite large and athletic for his age (and he just finished the hiking merit badge a few weeks ago) so I'm not worried about his ability to do the whole thing in a day. But let me know if I'm being unreasonable in my expectations! We're not used to altitude, at least.

Also: it looks like you went around to the south of the Twin Lakes to join the trail going back up to the Notch. I've seen some other variations where from the end of the Clyde Lake trail they went around the north of the Twin Lakes on the ledges or benches to the Notch. Any comments on that? How hard does it look to route-find up that way? Based just on the topo and a few low resolution high distance pictures, it looks easy, but you never know, right?

Many people make just a day trip out of that loop. While we did go straight from upper Twin to Clyde, when I did it with my daughter, the surrounding terrain is pretty mild looking for some cross country travel. I think the biggest obstacles would just be all the marshy areas around that you'll want to be mindful of, but I don't see that type of stuff being a problem up along the ledges along the Notch. I too have see a few reports of people who started up the Clyde Lake trail and got up on the ledges above Clyde to make their way up to the Notch. I think it'd be a good adventure for a young teen.

I did that section by accident in September. It was very easy. Somewhat steep at times, but it really didn't last long. You shouldn't have any problem making your way up to the Notch off trail.

Another quick question; we'll certainly have some non-hikers in our group, but some of those non-hikers are fishers. What's the best lake along the Mirror Lake Hwy (close to the Crystal Lake TH would be ideal, but not essential)? If I can get the fishers on board, it'll be a lot easier for me to take hikers out nearby too, without me having to just be stubborn and saying that I'm going regardless of what everyone else is doing.

Another quick question; we'll certainly have some non-hikers in our group, but some of those non-hikers are fishers. What's the best lake along the Mirror Lake Hwy (close to the Crystal Lake TH would be ideal, but not essential)? If I can get the fishers on board, it'll be a lot easier for me to take hikers out nearby too, without me having to just be stubborn and saying that I'm going regardless of what everyone else is doing.

Late reply...I haven't been as active on BCP lately, but I'm going to repent. :) Your question of what the best lake would be for fishing next to that TH is a tough one because there are 3 big lakes right there around the Crystal Lake TH (counting Lost Lake across the highway) and many more smaller ones only a few minutes hike and/or drive in just about any direction. There is a designated "Fisherman" parking lot just below Trial Lake that I think also serves as overflow for Crystal Lake TH. Really, there are so many options in such a small area there that one might call it a fisherman's paradise, but with that said, it can get very busy all around there, even during the middle of the week. Seriously, if fishing isn't going well at one lake, you can be at another with 5 minutes of walking, if not sooner, and so on.

I have done a few hikes with my 18 y/o last year that my youngest could not handle.
Now that my oldest is off in the military I have to make easy hikes. I showed my 10 y/o your video and now he wants hiking gear for his birthday next week!
Thank you!!
We have not done over night hikes but really want to. Today what would you suggest for packs, tents/hammock for a 10 y/o that would grow into it? Any other info would be great! I'm a newbie, got lost along the way, have plans for this year just need to make it happen!

I have done a few hikes with my 18 y/o last year that my youngest could not handle.
Now that my oldest is off in the military I have to make easy hikes. I showed my 10 y/o your video and now he wants hiking gear for his birthday next week!
Thank you!!
We have not done over night hikes but really want to. Today what would you suggest for packs, tents/hammock for a 10 y/o that would grow into it? Any other info would be great! I'm a newbie, got lost along the way, have plans for this year just need to make it happen!

One thing I've learned with my kids is that they'll enjoy just the simple stuff and appreciate the time just being out with you and to keep it fun for them. In the past, my desire to get to something I thought was cool or super scenic has often been too ambitious for them, even though it felt a lot easier for me than other other trips I've taken.

Good comfortable footwear and a good fitting pack are probably the two most important pieces of gear to spend the most time on and ensure you make a good purchase on. If starting out, I'd recommend shopping around for some inexpensive 2 man tents, lightweight summer sleeping bags, sleeping pads, cookware, stove, and so forth for relatively cheap be it on Amazon, at Walmart, or a local sports retailer that carries a good variety of outdoor gear. If you find yourself getting out a lot and wanting to go farther in the backcountry and such, then it makes sense to start investing in higher quality, more versatile gear. If you have friends with gear already, it might be worth borrowing what you can to get a feel for things first.

As for a specific junior sized pack, I'd check out REI's selection. I have found that their store-brand packs are about as good as any if you get them fitted right while in-store. Osprey and Deuter also make some good youth sized packs that, like REI, are usually adjustable and can grow with the child until they reach adult sizes. I believe Teton Sports also makes a youth size pack that's popular among a lot of scouts in our area.

The kind of footwear you want to get will largely depend on the kind of terrain you expect to face, but generally a good sturdy pair of sneakers will get the job done.

As for the other big items, I'd look for sleeping bags that weigh no more than 2 lbs for 40 degree summer bags, and a 20 degree bag should weigh no more than 3-4 lbs. Anything that weighs more than that for same temperature ratings just isn't worth the weight in my opinion, no matter the cost savings. An inexpensive but suitable tent need not weigh much more than 4 lbs and can be split up to spread weight out between two hikers. Sleeping pads can be as cheap as $5 for a thin strip of closed cell foam to $100+ for insulated air pads and all over in between.

Lastly, limit first-time trips to nothing more than 1-2 miles away from your car and as your child learns and gains experience, you can gradually start challenging them with a little more if they are up for it. Hope that all helps! And hope your son has a great birthday!

Thank you for all the info. It helps to hear from experience!

Great advice on weight of certain items, that was one thing I was having a hard time with. I got him a small pack with water bag and a small stove with cookware. I thought this may get him used to staying out longer if he could have a small meal.

Hopefully we can get out a lot this summer!

Thanks again for your help!!