CVNP Blue Hen Falls and The Ledges 07/23/2023

TractorDoc

Last week @Bob stated that I needed to incorporate more roots, rocks, and mud into my training if I was going to survive the Thorofare.

Mud was sparse on today's hike, but I was able to check roots and rocks off the list. . . hopefully to Bob's satisfaction. :)

Mrs. TractorDoc joined me today for an early drive to Cuyahoga Valley. We tackled the out and back hike to Blue Hen Falls first. I posted about this short hike in previous report, so I'll skim over the details this time around.

The mile and a half hike to the falls follows some undulating terrain. Going up!

0O7A0287[1].JPG

When we arrived at the falls we had it all to ourselves. We knew it would not be long before others arrived though as we had passed several groups on the trail.

I had enough time to set the camera up for our picture. Still testing the range on the remote; it worked about half the time I wanted it to.

0O7A0295[1].JPG

We wandered downstream a bit. Technically there was some mud encountered here, but not likely to Bob's standards.

0O7A0304[1].JPG

Some scrambling on the way out. Roots -- check. Rocks -- check.

0O7A0307[1].JPG

Waterfall pictures before the party started.

0O7A0309[1].JPG

0O7A0312[1].JPG

A quick ice cream break. . .

thumbnail_IMG_0715.jpg

Then it was off to an area called The Ledges. I would describe the ledges as a big chunk of exposed sandstone with a trail around the perimeter as well as across the top. This trail sign probably tells a better story.

0O7A0367[1].JPG

We started out from the Octagon Trailhead and worked our way up to the trail.

0O7A0322[1].JPG

0O7A0324[1].JPG

The trail was a good choice for anyone looking to incorporate roots and rocks into their hike.

0O7A0331[1].JPG

Many pictures that follow are looking up at rock formations from different points along the trail.

Mrs TD said this one looked like a monkey face. I did not notice that at first, but now that I see it I cannot unsee it.

0O7A0327[1].JPG

0O7A0337[1].JPG

0O7A0350[1].JPG

GOPR0635.JPG

GOPR0637.JPG

Somewhere along the way I was pointing out some of the differences/transitions in geology to Mrs. TD, but here it seems I was not able to hold her interest. :)

0O7A0353[1].JPG

Ice Box Cave is fenced off to keep people out. Nearby postings mention that an endangered bat lives in the cave.

0O7A0354[1].JPG

0O7A0359[1].JPG

Staircase built by the CCC back in the day. Where do those stairs go? :thinking: They go up, of course!

0O7A0366[1].JPG

After circling the ledges we took a quick walk up the towpath trail thru the Beaver Swamp.

Highlights included some flowers. Milkweed and Rose of Sharon?

0O7A0380[1].JPG 0O7A0381[1].JPG

Possibly my favorite photo of the day. . .

0O7A0379[1].JPG

There was some wildlife too.

0O7A0385[1].JPG 0O7A0387[1].JPG

At first I thought Hugh would be happy with the previous snapper shot, but then I saw this next one flopped out on a log. My focus is not as crisp as it could be, but that turtle had the @scatman smile mastered. :scatman:

0O7A0396.JPG

0O7A0369[1].JPG

A stop at Ohio Pie on the way home -- this time I tried their Piggy Bird Pizza.

thumbnail_IMG_0716.jpg

GAIA GPS snapshot. Not the biggest mileage day, but it was more about the ups and downs today than it was the distance. ;)

CVNP 07-23-2023.jpg

The End!

Last week @Bob stated that I needed to incorporate more roots, rocks, and mud into my training if I was going to survive the Thorofare.

Mud was sparse on today's hike, but I was able to check roots and rocks off the list. . . hopefully to Bob's satisfaction. :)

Mrs. TractorDoc joined me today for an early drive to Cuyahoga Valley. We tackled the out and back hike to Blue Hen Falls first. I posted about this short hike in previous report, so I'll skim over the details this time around.

The mile and a half hike to the falls follows some undulating terrain. Going up!

View attachment 123198

When we arrived at the falls we had it all to ourselves. We knew it would not be long before others arrived though as we had passed several groups on the trail.

I had enough time to set the camera up for our picture. Still testing the range on the remote; it worked about half the time I wanted it to.

View attachment 123199

We wandered downstream a bit. Technically there was some mud encountered here, but not likely to Bob's standards.

View attachment 123200

Some scrambling on the way out. Roots -- check. Rocks -- check.

View attachment 123201

Waterfall pictures before the party started.

View attachment 123202

View attachment 123203

A quick ice cream break. . .

View attachment 123205

Then it was off to an area called The Ledges. I would describe the ledges as a big chunk of exposed sandstone with a trail around the perimeter as well as across the top. This trail sign probably tells a better story.

View attachment 123204

We started out from the Octagon Trailhead and worked our way up to the trail.

View attachment 123206

View attachment 123207

The trail was a good choice for anyone looking to incorporate roots and rocks into their hike.

View attachment 123209

Many pictures that follow are looking up at rock formations from different points along the trail.

Mrs TD said this one looked like a monkey face. I did not notice that at first, but now that I see it I cannot unsee it.

View attachment 123208

View attachment 123210

View attachment 123211

View attachment 123224

View attachment 123225

Somewhere along the way I was pointing out some of the differences/transitions in geology to Mrs. TD, but here it seems I was not able to hold her interest. :)

View attachment 123212

Ice Box Cave is fenced off to keep people out. Nearby postings mention that an endangered bat lives in the cave.

View attachment 123213

View attachment 123214

Staircase built by the CCC back in the day. Where do those stairs go? :thinking: They go up, of course!

View attachment 123215

After circling the ledges we took a quick walk up the towpath trail thru the Beaver Swamp.

Highlights included some flowers. Milkweed and Rose of Sharon?

View attachment 123218 View attachment 123219

Possibly my favorite photo of the day. . .

View attachment 123217

There was some wildlife too.

View attachment 123220 View attachment 123221

At first I thought Hugh would be happy with the previous snapper shot, but then I saw this next one flopped out on a log. My focus is not as crisp as it could be, but that turtle had the @scatman smile mastered. :scatman:

View attachment 123222

View attachment 123216

A stop at Ohio Pie on the way home -- this time I tried their Piggy Bird Pizza.

View attachment 123226

GAIA GPS snapshot. Not the biggest mileage day, but it was more about the ups and downs today than it was the distance. ;)

View attachment 123223

The End!

That snapper is looking quite content. I could go for laying on a rock, soaking up some sun, and pondering my next move.

Those stair shots are making my knees hurt just looking at them. :)

I think you are overtraining, on your next report I want to see a lot more ice cream shots and less uphill from you.

I think the Mrs. might be ready for some Yellowstone backcountry.

So what exactly comes on a Piggy Bird Pizza?

That snapper is looking quite content. I could go for laying on a rock, soaking up some sun, and pondering my next move.

Those stair shots are making my knees hurt just looking at them. :)

I think you are overtraining, on your next report I want to see a lot more ice cream shots and less uphill from you.

I think the Mrs. might be ready for some Yellowstone backcountry.

Overtraining? Says the guy who has been doing some insane mountain climbing for the past few months!

Looks like the Piggy Bird pizza is chicken, barbecue sauce, bacon, and crispy fried onions. If it has bacon it must be good.

And no one is REALLY ready for a Yellowstone adventure with @scatman !!

but a heavy pack is where?
Its on my back Bob! I spared you pictures of my posterior, but if you look at my picture by the waterfall you can see some shoulder straps and a hip belt.

If you were a turtle this is exactly what I imagine you would look like. We need @Rockskipper to photoshop a little bicycle cap on him. :)

Kevin described it exactly. Either he has been to Ohio Pie before or he was able to read the menu.

And no one is REALLY ready for a Yellowstone adventure with @scatman !!
No one is ever really ready. . . and no one is ever the same once the adventure is over. Except maybe @Bob . :D

Great scenes (I'm filing these away for future MI to MD trips...) Love the monkey face! And I've never seen Rose of Sharon in the wild before. Was that near the ice cream shop (or somewhere else) and likely was planted?

I've never seen Rose of Sharon in the wild before. Was that near the ice cream shop (or somewhere else) and likely was planted?
I noticed it along the towpath trail North of the Beaver Marsh area. It was not near anything that I would call "civilized," but there is an overhead power wire in the area that probably gets some trimming/maintenance from time to time.

I think the park has done a nice job of incorporating/planting native flora in the area; these may have missed or bypassed for now.