Cuberant Lakes 2013

Well, I am new to this whole forum thing and this will be my first trip report, but look forward to posting more. I just can't get enought of everyone's trip reports! It's nice to know there are a lot of other people who have the same passion for the outdoors as I do!

Anyway, this TR is from one of my trips out last summer to Cubberant Lake. I am sure most have you have enjoyed this part of the Unitas. This was my second time going to these lakes, and unfortunelty I didn't take as many, and not the best quality pictures. My wife just bougt me a new Nikon camera for our anniversary so I am excited to take that from now on. My buddy jake, brother in law josh, and brother Hayden all accompanied me on this trip, along with everyone's dogs as well. Mine are the two dogs with the colorful collars on them, Oakley and Chance. To me, it is not backpacking without my dogs.

image.jpg image.jpg
Classic uintah view
image.jpg
The hike into the cubberants is pretty short, so it it didn't take us to long to make it there. There is only one section that is really steep over the pass, but other than that, an easy hike for just about anyone. But, no matter how short, or easy the hike is, it is always nice to get to your location and set up I camp. And nothing better than my brand new, first time using, hammock! I lived in that thing the whole time, whenever we were just hanging out at camp, I was in that. If your looking for comfort in the backcountry, I highly recommend this hammock!
image.jpg
After setting up camp, we decided to go for a swim with the dogs, it's just looked too nice and refreshing to pass up. And plus, my younger dog, Oakley (brown) still hasn't built up the confidence to swim consistently so I figured if I got in with her, there would be no way she would pass up on getting in with me.
image.jpg
My buddy is a stone mason and so he had to build him a nice seat next to the fire. Of course, he had to choose the biggest boulder he could find... So we did a little campsite remodeling.
image.jpg
It is amazing how much ground the dogs can travel while we stick to our path. They are running non stop, what I would give to have that kind of stamina. After a long day of hiking, it is even nice for them to lay down and relax.
image.jpg image.jpg
Of course, being in the uintahs you can always count on a good thunder storm. Luckily at the last second, I strapped this tarp to my pack, which made it so we didn't have to spend the afternoon sitting in our tents.
image.jpg
Being a short hike, we all decided to do tinfoil dinners. My brother is new to this whole backpacking thing, and didn't quite get the concept of tinfoil dinners, so he decided to bring a couple nice juicy steak for him. We were all jealous. We had to improvise on how to cook it, but came up with this steak on a stick. It worked out great and we were all able to share his second steak.
image.jpg
I can't wait to get out this summer and take my new camera and really get some nice sunset pictures. Looking at everyone else's pictures in your threads I get jealous at how beautiful your pictures are. These pictures are just from my iPhone , so definitely doesn't do the beauty justice.
image.jpg
Heading back to camp.
image.jpg
We stayed up well into the morning hours that night, as we usually do. Nothing like the comfort of a fire. I could sit and stare at fire for hours.
image.jpg
Got up the next morning and did some more exploring around the area. We found all of the Cubberant Lakes, but I wasn't very good about taking pictures.
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
Thanks for looking. I love looking at your guys threads and thought I would share more. I have more to share but will just leave it to this one right now, but definitely look forward to sharing my future trips with you guys.

Steak on a stick! Almost as good as pizza in a cup.

x3 on steak on a stick! That is definitely the first time I've ever heard of that! Great TR. Thanks for posting!