Crater Lake and Lone Eagle Peak

A good friend indulged me and repeated this trip so that I could venture up into the basins below Lone Eagle Peak, a bucket list hike if you live probably within 100 miles of it (as a crow flies). Getting around from the front range to the Grand Lake area takes 2+ hours. We took a 1/2 day on Friday and got up and settled into a campsite as the sun was setting. The next day we explored up to Pawnee Lake and the lake basin leading up to Triangle Lake. We didn't make it all the way up to Triangle. I'll have to take my son there one day and venture up there. The entire panorama looks amazing from any angle. The Indian Peaks, as they're called, are just one gorgeous set of mountains, especially on the picture perfect fall weekend. Also, we got to see 2 moose in a mating ritual. They were running at full tilt up and down the lakeshore as boaters and people watched from shore. He really was persistent with his lady moose. We didn't stick around to see the courtship rituals but the chase was interesting to watch.

I couldn't get many more photos uploaded here. Most file sizes were too big, so I just went with these.
P1020100_1_2Natural.jpg
P1020398.jpg
P1020403_4_5Natural.jpg
P1020302.jpg
P1020359.jpg

Attachments

• P1020423_4_5Natural.jpg
    P1020423_4_5Natural.jpg
    691.1 KB · Views: 5

RyanP

Formerly bob32
I love that area! I've been up that trail 3-4 times and every time I have seen moose. I haven't been there in several years though and it sure has been getting more popular. Some of the easier peaks and passes around there are awesome too.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Born to Hike 85 miles on the Uinta Highline Trail including Crater Lake and a Dinosaur: July 26 - Aug 1, 2020 Backpacking 33
Miya Umpqua NF, Crater Lake, and 'A Whole New World' Hiking & Camping 15
Outdoors24 Two day in Crater Lake National Park Hiking & Camping 4
Mullet Crater lake uintas TR? Questions, Suggestions & Support 3
Tater Head Crater Lake/Jedediah Smith State Park Trip Planning 10
gnwatts Maroon Bells & Crater Lake Hiking & Camping 9
Shirt357 Twin Crater Lakes - 0707-0708 Backpacking 5
Seldom Seen Anderson Guacamole Trail and Crater Hill Hiking & Camping 7
Jackson Hollow Top Lake Backpacking 13
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Shoshone Lake, Ouzel Creek, and Three Rivers Junction -- September 13-16 2021 Backpacking 61
randakag Anaconda-Pintler: Lake of the Isle?? Trip Planning 0
TractorDoc Off Trail to Yellowstone's Aster Lake and Upper Witch Creek -- September 13, 2021 Hiking & Camping 12
Bob Wind Rivers - Lee Lake Loop Backpacking 6
NorthwestWanderer Backpacking Idaho's Cecil D. Andrus-White Clouds Wilderness : O'Calkens Lake & Bighorn Basin Backpacking 2
A Wind Rivers: Clear Lake, Faler Lake and Roaring Fork General Discussion 3
balzaccom Gibbs Lake, High Sierra Backpacking 2
scatman Beartooth Wilderness - Flat Rock Lake Lollipop Loop - July 26, 2021 Backpacking 50
kwc Short jaunt to Broomstick Lake, southern Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 2
Janice Mirror Lake Highway - Crowds? Recommendation? Trip Planning 4
Chuck the Mauler Sierra North Lake / South Lake "loop" questions Trip Planning 10
Duketogo13 Questions about packrafting the Escalante/Lake Powell in September. Need help! Trip Planning 5
priz1234 Pine River, Lake Creek, Flint Creek Loop San Juan. 7/3-7/5 Backpacking 6
Georgia Yankee Apostle Islands, Lake Superior, June 2021 On The Water 4
JuddOutdoors Hike To Grass Lake //Desolation Wilderness //Lake Tahoe Basin Hiking & Camping 0
SirDonB Echo Lake via the Overlook Mt Trail Hiking & Camping 0
Tim Valentine Market Lake Idaho: Birds Photography 3
RyanP North Fork Bull Lake Creek Trip Planning 35
S Packrafting Escalante - FiftyMile Creek and low water level Lake Powell Trip Planning 8
Dustynails0 Beartooth lake to East rosebud traverse Trip Planning 6
kwc Winter Hike into Broomstick Lake 1/13/21 Hiking & Camping 2
kwc Jockeybush Lake in the Winter Hiking & Camping 8
D Coyote Gulch to Lake Powell Trip Planning 8
Tomaswmitchell Cuberant Lake hike, Bigfoot tracks? Video Hiking & Camping 2
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Heart Lake -- September 14-17 2020 Backpacking 32
norwegianxplorer Summiting Mount Whitney from Guitar Lake, 6 Days backpacking the Sierra before the Creek Fire closed everything down. Backpacking 5
Perry Teal Lake Lollipop Over Night Trip Backpacking 21
kwc Murphy Lake, Southern Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 0
Titans Pharaoh Lake Wilderness- some much needed Vitamin W Hiking & Camping 5
NorthwestWanderer Backpacking the Lost River Range in Idaho : Bear Creek Lake & Upper Basin Backpacking 7
Jammer Sequoia: Upper Kern and Lake South America Backpacking 12
NorthwestWanderer Backpacking Okanogan National Forest : Copper Glance Lake & failed attempt at No Dice Lake Backpacking 2
Curt Visiting (Part of) the Lake District of Cloud Peak Wilderness Backpacking 15
scatman Bourbon Lake, Uintas - July 11, 2020 Hiking & Camping 4
NorthwestWanderer Overnight Backpack to Louis Lake, Lake Chelan-Sawtooth Wilderness Backpacking 4
U Favorite sites in Glacier in North Fork, Lake McDonald or Cole/Nyack? Looking at mid july Trip Planning 2
Perry Last Minute Over Nighter to Packard Lake Backpacking 13
Born to Hike Early June 3-day jaunt on the Uinta Highline Trail: Naturalist Basin, Pinto Lake, Margo Lake Backpacking 8
Matt Van Natta HELP: Wind River Range, Baker Lake to Green River Lakes Trip Planning 7
U Just picked up a permit for Shelf Lake 2 nights in Mid/Late July. Any ideas for a day hike/summit from there? Trip Planning 0
Perry 5.7 mag Earthquake in Salt Lake City Area - Check in Here to Let Us Know You're Okay General Discussion 44