Convenient camp location question.

Chuck the Mauler

Formally known as "kcwins"
Greetings fellow backpackers and outdoor enthusiasts alike. I was hoping to get some info from those with feet on the ground or experience in the Moab area.

A week from Friday I arrive in Salt Lake and will be headed down towards Moab where we start a 3 day float trip / 4 day hike in the Maze. We are using the services of Tex's Riverways where they will shuttle us to Potash and return to pick us up at the Spanish Bottom 7 days later. However, our ship doesn't set sail down the Colorado River until Saturday around noon.

Any idea's as to where a good spot to camp Friday night that is close and/or convenient to Tex's? Or just flat out cool and worth it even though it may not be the most convenient?

I'm hoping there will be a @Joey and @Vegan.Hiker sighting :)

Last edited:
Camping "Near" or in Moab is pretty much the worst place in the state. I'd stay a little more North and camp in the San Rafael Swell, or San Rafael Desert area personally.

Dan, Nick, any particular areas on BLM land in the swell that you'd suggest? I was reading up about it and it sounds like the sites near the Wedge Overlook or Buckhorn Draw might be a good place for us? Does that sound right? If anyone is willing to pm one of us coords of a good site it'd be super appreciated. Or is it not worth looking for a particular site if it's all nice?

That's further out than I'd recommend. Lots of good stuff down near I-70 where it crosses through the reef, just west of Green River. Shoot me a message if that area works for your plan and I'd be happy to share coords. If you really want to camp outside Moab, this thread will help: http://backcountrypost.com/threads/seeking-free-2wd-friendly-campsites-just-north-of-moab.1567/

I also know of some spots south of I-70 between Green River and Crescent Junction that are pretty nice.

we camped out up on the national forest above castle valley. Its a bit further, but worth it and there's noone around. just pull off of the road once you get pass the forest boundary. Amazing views.
the Manti- La sal NF Good luck, the river camps are always crowded with loud groups.

I camped off of Willow Springs Rd. when I went most recently (mid March). Got there on a Friday around 5 and most spots were taken. We managed to find one, and all the people around us were pretty quiet, so that was nice. I'd imagine it only fills up faster in April, but it would still be worth a look if you decide to camp very close to Moab. In my limited experience, I'd echo what @slc_dan and @Nick said about camping close to Moab in that it is nothing too special.

Thanks for the replies, fellas. I will pull the map out and do some snooping around this weekend. If you ever make it to Michigan or have Teton questions........

If it were me I would head down Kane Creek Blvd - (Turn right Between BK and McDonalds off Main St in Moab) - Keep going to the river, you can try any of those campsites along the river or keep going until you cross the creek and it turns to a dirt road. Not the most private or pristine camping, but its convenient and you can check out some rock art which is all over the area.

Maybe this helps, too:
http://www.blm.gov/ut/st/en/fo/moab/recreation/campgrounds/kane_creek_road.html

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
forest dweller Favorite backpacking foods...convenient, easy, delicious, nutritious? General Discussion 20
Janice Yellowstone Yurt Camp - Feb. 19-23, 2023 Trip Reports 15
Ellen What are your favorite spots to hike and camp in December? Trip Planning 10
kwc Great Camp Santanoni Hiking & Camping 1
WasatchWill WRHR: Day 5 - Camp Lake to Titcomb Basin Backpacking 15
WasatchWill WRHR: Day 4 - Halls Lake to Camp Lake Backpacking 17
Perry Henry's Fork Basin - Camp Site Suggestions Trip Planning 3
norwegianxplorer How a Reindeer herd w/calves invaded my camp & started fighting over turf, backpacking Femundsmarka NP Norway Backpacking 2
BackpackingtheSierras Point Reyes National Seashore Coast Camp Trip Backpacking 4
WasatchWill To camp above treeline...or not? Trip Planning 11
Tarp Boy High Sierra Camp Loop, Yosemite, CA Trip Reports 5
D Need suggestions for a backpacking trip with a base camp Trip Planning 10
tropicalwanderer What to do: Grizzly in camp at night General Discussion 22
T Camp notes Hiking & Camping 14
wabenho Butterfly Camp and Ruth Hike 7/19-7/20 Hiking & Camping 4
scatman Lynn Camp Prong Lollipop Loop, Great Smokey Mountains National Park - May 29, 2018 Hiking & Camping 2
AbinadiWitness Chicago Basin: Part 2: Sunlight & Windom Peaks, Black Canyon Camp, Mt. Peale, UT - 16 -18 Aug. 2017 Backpacking 2
TrektheWorld Rawah Wilderness Camp Lakes to West Branch Loop Backpacking 3
John Goering Tobacco Root Mountains South Willow Creek-Camp Creek Reservoir day hike Hiking & Camping 2
Nick Camp Bag Essentials General Discussion 7
Udink Delano and Mine Camp Peaks Hiking & Camping 4
JohnP Ideas around Silverton, CO - Hike + Camp Trip Planning 8
someguy Green River - B Section River Camp Hiking & Camping 8
AllNightAz First official hike and overnight 3-4 day camp trip Noobs: Introduce yourself! 2
Parma Camp Battle General Discussion 2
Bob Camp mor ten percent off code Gear 0
uintafly Good place to camp and hike with kids Trip Planning 2
Nick Nepal Earthquake: Everest Base Camp Footage General Discussion 6
WillisBodillus Everest Base Camp Oct 1-15 Backpacking 16
IntrepidXJ Winter Camp Ridge Hiking & Camping 5
slc_dan Idaho/Oregon/Norcal Camp reccomendations Trip Planning 4
Upgrayedd Areas to hike, camp and explore with small children within 3 hours of Salt Lake. Trip Planning 13
Thomas Rasmuson What do you do while you are away from camp? General Discussion 10
Dave White Crack to miner's camp Resource Discussions 0
uintahiker Camp Rucker, a ghost town without the crowds Hiking & Camping 0
powderglut Hole in the Rock Base Camp Trip Planning 3
Dan Best Camp Shoe - What's the lightest and most versatile? Gear 51
pixie1339 New camp stove/electronics charger Gear 6
L Need a Place to Car Camp in the Uintas Trip Planning 2
DAA Decent camp 2 hours Christmas Meadows? Trip Planning 6
Nurrgle Backpacker's America's Best Camp Sites - Coyote Gulch General Discussion 7
Nick Camp sites along The Burr Trail Trip Planning 10
Tyler Mount Timpanogos Camp/Summit Aug. 2006 Backpacking 10
Nickrgough Radler Trail Camp shoe Gear 4
H location of thirteen faces-horse canyon Utah Hiking & Camping 4
Perry Sunrise/Sunset Uintas Marriage Proposal Location Suggestions Trip Planning 25
Mikjik86 Favorite location with no cell phone service General Discussion 56
Writhdar Escalante area - location? General Discussion 6
Nick Location Tagging Feature General Discussion 9