Consider calling your representative in Washington?

This has been discussed before on BCP, but I believe it may be relevant to this discussion.

RS 2477, enacted In 1866:
"the right-of-way for the construction of highways across public lands not otherwise reserved for public purposes is hereby granted."

Amended in 1976:
"Nothing in this Act, or in any amendment made by this Act, shall be construed as terminating any valid lease, permit, patent, right-of-way, or other land use right or authorization existing on the date of approval of this Act"

I always find it disappointing to find cows and cow byproducts in sensitive Wilderness Areas (e.g. Grand Gulch, Ruby Mountains). I thought this was illegal, but looked it up after my last trip and found out that grazing is allowed in some Wilderness Areas. I've almost entirely stopped eating beef for climate change reasons, yet this is one more reason.
The seems overly optimistic but we’ll see. https://www.outsideonline.com/2399736/impossible-foods-beyond-meat-alt-meat

In my own personal opinion ...

There are many things going on in the world today that could truly irk one's world bigtime. This present day human world is not friendly to the environment and never has been. And now days with the whole world being run for material consumerism and money, it will continue to not be a friendly place for the natural ways of the world. In my opinion many environmentalists are some of the biggest hypocrites with their fancy cars, fancy houses, and their material consuming lifestyles. I live here in Jackson Hole and see this on a everyday everyday basis. We all need to really get back to living a super simple lifestyle, friendly to the Earth and all life that make this planet their home. I personally live without a car, live without a phone, and live simply on my bike with just a few possessions.

There is still sooooo many empty and wild places out there thru out the American West. And then think how much more is up in Alaska and Canada. Then consider how much empty country is still out there thru out the world. We are unable to see it all in just one human lifetime. Instead of going along with this corrupt and unfriendly consuming human culture ... we have the ability to opt out of it with running to the wilds wandering and living. Do think the hunter gatherer societies had it right bigtime and we in this modern day so called civilized world have it wrong. Remember an Indian Tribe from the Amazonian jungles called our money ... 'Image Paper Skins'. And they call us a 'People of Stuff'. Now with soooo much empty wild country out there, we can with this country's freedom and liberties still decide to opt out of it all, run to the wilds to wander and live, and be a modern day mountain man or woman. Well, this is pretty much how I have been living all of my life and now will shortly be 63.

There is a quote by Joseph Campbell who I think hit the nail on the head when he said this ...

"Participate joyfully in the sorrows of the world.
We cannot cure the world of sorrows,
but we can choose to live in joy.

When we talk about settling the world's problems,
we're barking up the wrong tree.

The world is perfect. It's a mess. It's has always been a mess.
We are not going to change it.
Our job is to straighten out our own lives."

And as a sign that was onetime at the end of a road near Cody, Wyoming said ...

"At the end of the road where the trails and life begin."

Just my opinion. Enjoy Life and the Wilderness! Wishing Everyone the Best!

Last edited: