Comb Ridge March 25-27 2012

TheDunedain

Not all those who wander are lost
After finishing up a chainsaw project for my work at Potash near Moab, myself and a few co-workers decided to take a small trip to Comb Ridge for our few days off. I had been to Comb Ridge before and I was anxious to get back to see some familiar places and some new ones. We left our basecamp near Monticello in the afternoon and arrived at Comb Ridge about an hour after and set up camp at a spot I knew of near Fishmouth Cave. \

That afternoon myself and friends went up and checked out Fishmouth cave for my second time and their first. My co-workers being from the south and mid-west had never seen Anasazi ruins so I was happy to show them a few. The first ruin is found a short ways up the canyon to Fishmouth and is just a few walls left standing . As the canyon heads up to the cave there is a small cave on the right side that has no ruins but has some pretty spectacular rock carvings of animals, their foot prints, and the phases of the moon. After checking out the smaller cave we headed up to Fishmouth which is pretty spectacular. There are a few ruins along the side of the cave and the cave itself is about 100 yards wide and at least 100 feet to the ceiling which is always dripping with water. Unfortunately the entire back of the cave is covered with graffiti from the many visitors Fishmouth receives which detracts some from the natural beauty of the sandstone but what can you do.

The next day I had planned to go visit Monarchs cave but my crappy map made it a bit difficult so after a few wrong turns we decided to just take a hike to the top of Comb Ridge to get a nice view of Cedar Mesa from there. After a short scramble to the top Comb Ridge delivers one of the best views of Cedar Mesa and the surrounding area available. From there we could see pretty much all of the east end of Cedar Mesa all the way up to Bears Ears and the Abajos. From the top we decided to take a different rout down out one of the canyons and I'm glad we did for as soon as we reached the bottom of the canyon we found the most well disguised ruin I have ever seen. It sits perfectly flush with the canyon wall and if it didn't have a window you probably wouldn't notice it at all. It definitely made alternative rout worth it.

On the last day of the trip we decided to go south and actually visit Monarchs cave this time and then drive out the road south to 191 back to Monticello. Monarchs cave is one of the more pristine ruins I have been to and sits high up in a sandstone alcove above a huge pool at the bottom of the canyon. After checking out the ruin and using my sweet Platypus Gravityworks water filter at the pool (we had just run out of water that morning) we headed south down the road and back to Monticello. All in all a good trip. Das Pictures...new.JPGnew1.JPGnew2.JPGnew3.JPGnew4.JPGnew5.JPGnew6.JPGnew7.JPGnew8.JPGnew9.JPGnew10.JPGnew11.JPGnew12.JPGnew13.JPGnew14.JPGnew15.JPGnew16.JPGnew17.JPGView attachment 4367new18.JPGnew19.JPGnew20.JPGnew21.JPGnew22.JPGnew23.JPGnew24.JPGnew25.JPGnew26.JPGnew27.JPG

I thought the right side looked more sketchy with the slanted slick rock! the left had the dead if you fall edge but it was a pretty good ledge. "Porque" nao sei just wondering!

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
balzaccom Comb Ridge and Wash Trip Planning 8
piper01 Wolfman Panel, Comb Ridge/Valley of the Gods Hiking & Camping 3
WasatchWill A Recon Trip Around Comb Ridge Hiking & Camping 6
kansas ruins at Comb Ridge Trip Planning 3
kansas roads along Comb Ridge Trip Planning 6
Seldom Seen Anderson Cedar Mesa and Comb Ridge Hiking & Camping 11
FourisTheNewOne Comb Ridge/Cedar Mesa - May 2008 Hiking & Camping 11
DAA The Comb & Butler, Feb. 2012 Hiking & Camping 8
IntrepidXJ Big Man Panel & Lower Comb Wash Hiking & Camping 1
seaview53 Chinese Wall - ridge walk thoughts and suggestions Trip Planning 2
scatman Parley's Ridge - May 20, 2023 Hiking & Camping 21
scatman Black Mountain Ridge - May 13, 2023 Hiking & Camping 49
scatman Van Cott Ridge - April 29, 2023 Hiking & Camping 7
scatman North Ridge of City Creek Canyon - February 4, 2023 Hiking & Camping 17
scatman South Ridge of City Creek Canyon - January 28, 2023 Hiking & Camping 4
SteveR Amazing Akamina Ridge Hiking & Camping 4
scatman West Millcreek Ridge - July 10, 2022 Hiking & Camping 22
scatman East Millcreek Ridge - July 2, 2022 Hiking & Camping 21
scatman Millcreek Ridge Planning Trip Planning 22
Yvonne Climbing Mount Saint Helens via Monitor Ridge Route, July 2021 Hiking & Camping 16
scatman Foothill Follies Part 2 - Black Mountain Ridge and City Creek Canyon Loop - November 11, 2021 Hiking & Camping 6
TheMountainRabbit Horse Ridge to Mount Febbas (Fitzpatrick Wilderness) - July 2021 Backpacking 24
travel2walk Lamar River, Pelican Valley, & Speciman Ridge loop - Yellowstone, Jun 29 to Jul 3, 2021 Backpacking 15
Gwen T Fortymile Ridge Road Trip Planning 5
Perry Dahlgreen Ridge - A Navigationally Challenged Day Hiking & Camping 8
scatman Neff's Ridge Loop - June 13, 2020 Hiking & Camping 10
scatman Parley's Ridge or Subaru to Jeep - April 25, 2020 Hiking & Camping 20
Perry Day Hike Exploring the Wasatch Ridge Line Hiking & Camping 5
Hiker Seth Franconia Ridge today Hiking & Camping 7
NorthwestWanderer Uncle visits Washington (Ptarmigan Ridge, Slate Peak & Wing Lake) Backpacking 4
Perry Middle Fork Blacks Fork Ridge Way Trail - Does It Exist? Hiking & Camping 5
SteveR Pocaterra Ridge, Alberta Hiking & Camping 7
NorthwestWanderer Poet Ridge - Glacier Peak Wilderness Hiking & Camping 3
scatman Van Cott Ridge - April 20, 2019 Hiking & Camping 5
Ugly Snowy Dawn Traverse on Deer Ridge Hiking & Camping 6
NorthwestWanderer Ptarmigan Ridge, Mt. Baker Wilderness WA Backpacking 8
NorthwestWanderer Delancy Ridge via Driveway Butte, Okanogan NF, WA (5/20) Hiking & Camping 3
AbinadiWitness Part 1: Telluride Via Ferrata and Mount Sneffels SW Ridge from Blue Lakes- Colorado Trip # 1 - 2017 Backpacking 0
JDWalters Pioneer Ridge Trail, Hiking & Camping 6
Wanderlust073 Black Ridge Canyons Wilderness / Rattlesnake Canyon maps Trip Planning 6
Adventure monkey Steve Allen's exit out of Happy Canyon to the Big Ridge. Trip Planning 17
M VIDEO - Mt. Lindsey (14,042 ft) Northwest Ridge Hiking & Camping 0
Udink Nine Mile Canyon XIV: Warrior Ridge Hiking & Camping 4
TannerT Adam's Canyon North Ridge 1/23 Hiking & Camping 10
Artemus Multimodal Transport on Wham Ridge Backpacking 41
Vegan.Hiker A Farewell to Fall along the Shawangunk Ridge Hiking & Camping 6
Udink Price Canyon Recreation Area to Ford Ridge Hiking & Camping 4
scatman Millcreek Ridge - July 3, 2015 Hiking & Camping 25
T GSMNP Sunkota Ridge, Thomas Divide, Noland Divide, Deep Creek Backpacking 4
hatchcanyon Trough Spring Ridge Off Road 4