Cinemascapes

This is Backcountry

Cool video made by backcountry.com. Warning: some naked butts

These guys were camped next to us at Sandthrax and they were filming and I would like to see their stills and vid. I can't really find many vids on their site. And when I go to their Youtube channel, it is just videos of products which I guess is what they are really all about so I shouldn't complain.

stunning night photography. All these lapses make me want a dolly. Great stuff.

No matter how many times I see that guy do what he does, I still can't quite believe it. That shot where he rests his hands with his toes wedged into that crack... what the...

So @langutah, as a climber, what do you think of Mr. Honnold and his dance with death?

Yeah, I keep wondering when we'll hear he finally made that one final mistake. What gets me is how weather dependent that is, starts raining, you die. Unless maybe the guy filming throws you a rope then.

He is one of my heroes! I am not an advocate, at all, of soloing. Alex is one of history's best climbers and makes what is extremely difficult look casual. You are right, many "objective hazards" exist. Unforeseen circumstances can bite you at any time. He manages them. He climbs 3 day routes in 2 hours. He climbs in good weather. He solos below his grade.

In the end, it is his call and I guess I don't fault him for it. I'd hate to lose him. He is one of the gentlest and modest elite climbers I've ever heard of. And he is pulling off some of the greatest feats, roped and unroped, that have ever been imagined. You've heard of his recent grand traverse of the Fitzoy Massif, dubbed the "Fitz Traverse", eh?

BTW pretty well filmed, no?

Last edited:
Yeah, have to admire his abilities and nerve! I'd agree, it's hard not to like him listening to interviews. Just hope he retires before he pushes it too far.

No matter how many times I see that guy do what he does, I still can't quite believe it. That shot where he rests his hands with his toes wedged into that crack... what the...
It is called a no-hands rest, and treasured. Notice the big old smile on his face. Priceless.

The future of whitewater videos...my only issue would be I can't paddle and film at the same time...

Back