Chesler Park loop, float across river to The Maze

Flying in to Durango 5/07/14 to hike the Canyonlands. I have looked high and low for a good 8-day loop trip using one vehicle, all across SE Utah. Seems like most everything is a hike in and back out, shuttle or 2-3 day loop. I have an idea to hike from Squaw Flat over to The Maze. I plan on looping around Cheslar Park then heading down the Lower Red Lake Canyon Trail to float across to Spanish Bottom (using a cheap inflatable boat just big enough to keep me dry). From here there seems to be plenty of options from Doll House Camp and Chimney Rock area. I'll be hiking with another friend, who I haven't convinced that this could be an incredibly awesome, but difficult trip.
We should arrive at Squaw Flat/ Elephant Trailhead by 5-6 pm. and hope to get down trail to EC-1 or thereabouts. Lots of decisions....
Let me know what you think and if you have any ideas.

You don't see longer trips because of the uncertainty of water.

The date you listed is in the past. Can you clarify?

Depending on your goals/priorities, I could help come up with some good 8-day loops w/o crossing the river on your own. That said -- getting across the river would be exciting -- just not this time of year. If you are talking next May, you could easily hook up with someone with a boat at Spanish Bottom.

>We should arrive at Squaw Flat/ Elephant Trailhead by 5-6 pm. and hope to get down trail to EC-1 or thereabouts.

Make sure you can pick up your permit beforehand. Canyonlands can be pretty strict about this and usually will require you get it in person if leaving a car at a TH. Best to be in the visitor center by 4pm.

- Jamal

Hey guys, thanks for your interest. The date is actually 2014. There will one maybe two other guys with me. I think we arrive in Durango at 1, so should be plenty of time to check in. One member is set on Chesler.
I'm fascinated with the remoteness of The Maze, floating across just adds a little excitement to the trip.

Man, that's a pretty huge, fast-flowing river to get across on a little raft without a paddle. Save some pack weight and maybe your life and give Tex's Riverways a buzz. They'll probably be down there picking up canoes and could give you a lift over and probably bring you vital supplies (beer) too. Just my .02.

Depending on your goals/priorities, I could help come up with some good 8-day loops w/o crossing the river on your own.

Well, it seems that after reading about The Maze they've been scared away. So, what do you have in mind? I more interested in solitude, ruins and challenge the other party just wants good pictures. Flying in and out of Durango...7+ days for hiking. Open for suggestions for a loop or minimal backtracking. Thanks, Jammer

There is a good chance you would hit high water in May, and I think that is just too risky to try to cross the river in anything flimsy at that point. The jet boat operators out of Moab (Tex's and Tag-a-long) pickup flatwater boaters at Spanish Bottom, and you could probably arrange a shuttle across. It depends on whether there is a good spot to land the boat, though.

Don't be scared of the Maze. It's awesome. I could kill 7 days in Salt Creek and Five Fingers, but I don't think that would be for everyone. More of the base camp with exploring option, and only to be attempted if you are serious about good desert hiking practices (staying on slickrock and in washes).

What scared them away about the Maze? The crossing, the solitude, the slickrock in/out or something else? Curious as it would influence suggestions.

- Jamal

Threads indicating hikes are only for serious well-versed outdoor enthusiasts... Mostly, scared of getting lost due to difficulty of staying on routes.

This could be my 8 day trip, backtracking up Salt Creek. Everyone says there is plenty to see and do throughout SC.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
rinats Canyonlands/Needles: Salt Creek to Chesler Park Trip Planning 6
danger02ward Druid Arch/Chesler Park Dayhike Hiking & Camping 5
C Canyonlands: Chesler Park, Virginia Park ??? Trip Planning 7
Jackson Ravenous Ravens in Chesler Park Backpacking 36
Noun Sequitur Chesler Park - October 2012 Hiking & Camping 9
Nick Chesler Park, Canyonlands Trip Planning 13
Dave Chesler Park to Lost Canyon? Trip Planning 0
Nick Backpacking Chesler Park Backpacking 18
Daryl Yarbrough Salt Creek, Lost Canyon and Chesler Loop Trip Planning 3
Bob Island Park / Yellowstone Private Airport Development General Discussion 8
TheMountainRabbit News Release: Yellowstone National Park increases protection for bears and visitor safety by implementing changes to two bear management areas General Discussion 14
Tweedie Weminuche off-Trail from Elk Park to Needleton 2023 (Via Vestal, Balsam, Noname and Ruby) Backpacking 15
scatman The Gallatin River, Bighorn and Fawn Passes, Yellowstone National Park - September 7, 2023 Backpacking 14
TractorDoc Mohican State Park -- July 4, 2023 Hiking & Camping 11
I Rescue Creek - Yellowstone National Park - June 3, 2023 Backpacking 15
F Frontenac Provided Park Ontario, Canada June 2023 Backpacking 4
scatman Rescue Creek - Yellowstone National Park - June 3, 2023 Backpacking 56
TractorDoc Cuyahoga Valley National Park (again!) 06/04/2023 Hiking & Camping 6
TractorDoc Cuyahoga Valley National Park 05/28/2023 Hiking & Camping 20
scatman Rescue Creek - Yellowstone National Park Meet Up (Members Only) 19
BobFink Joining from Park City, UT Noobs: Introduce yourself! 2
The Trout Whisperer Echo Park Hiking & Camping 0
Ted California couple killed in Yosemite National Park rockslide identified by park officials General Discussion 0
NorthwestWanderer Backpacking Grand Teton National Park : Fossil Pass,Fox Creek Pass,Indian Lake,Alaska Basin,Hurricane Pass,Ice Floe Lake,& Snowdrift Lake Backpacking 19
NorthwestWanderer 8 Day High Sierra trek : Humphreys Basin, Star Col, Granite Park, Lake Italy & Piute Canyon 6/25-7/2/22 Backpacking 7
canadug Hiker death in Zion National park :( Hiking & Camping 32
F Frontenac National Park, Quebec, Canada Hiking & Camping 2
chandlerwest Glacier Nat'l Park - "The Collector" Hiking & Camping 7
scatman Shoshone Lake Lollipop Loop - Yellowstone National Park - July 24, 2022 Backpacking 63
kwc Campobello Island, Roosevelt International Park, NB, Canada Everything Else 2
chandlerwest Glacier Nat'l Park - BCP Fix Hiking & Camping 11
Absarokanaut Flooding in Yellowstone National Park and Adjacent Areas of Montana Today June 13, 2022 General Discussion 82
Rockskipper pay-for-bot-scanning services for National Park campsites - interesting comments General Discussion 1
WasatchWill WRHR - Day 7: Beaver Park to Green River Lakes Backpacking 15
norwegianxplorer 7 days backpacking Breheimen/Glacier Home National Park in Norway Backpacking 2
WasatchWill WRHR: Day 6 - Titcomb Basin to Beaver Park Backpacking 9
Outdoor_Fool Yellowstone - Through the Heart of the Park Backpacking 12
pstm13 Rocky Mountain National Park Mid June with Kids Trip Planning 7
pstm13 Rocky Mountain National Park Mid June with Kids Trip Planning 0
Rockskipper Application Period Open For 2023 Private River Trips Through Grand Canyon National Park General Discussion 0
norwegianxplorer Backpacking SAREK NATIONAL PARK, Arctic Sweden, Camping Above RAPADALEN delta. Backpacking 7
S Mentasta Mountains, Wrangell St. Elias National Park and Preserve- family backpack Backpacking 1
scatman Grizzly Lake - Yellowstone National Park - September - 2022 Meet Up (Members Only) 149
norwegianxplorer Finding Hidden Glacier, 9 days backpacking Jotunheimen National Park Pt3, Norway. Trip Reports 0
P A short hike on the AT in Shenandoah National Park Hiking & Camping 0
norwegianxplorer Highest Mountain in Norway, Galdhøpiggen, the start of a 9 day backpacking trip in Jotunheimen national park Backpacking 0
norwegianxplorer 5 days Backpacking Rondane National Park, Norway Backpacking 3
norwegianxplorer Backpacking Norway, Femundsmarka National Park Pt 3, Grand Scandinavian Hiking & Backpacking Tour Ep4 Backpacking 0
scatman Gneiss Creek Part 2 - Yellowstone National Park - September 18, 2021 Hiking & Camping 0
norwegianxplorer Backpacking Rogen Nature Reserve, Sweden & Femundsmarka National Park, Norway Pt2 Backpacking 2