Catherine's Pass, Dry Fork, to Helicopter Hill

Tye Dye Twins

Sunday's are good, but snowy Sunday's are the best. Took the newest member of the group, Grady, and the usual clowns, Trevor and Ron, up to Catherines Pass, Dry Fork, and out Helicopter hill. A UDOT avalanche forecaster and his 2 rescue dogs went out of their way to meet the "famous" TyeDyeTwins. Shook hands, made sure the dogs got my scent and let him get a pic of us. Then it was off to the Catherine's Pass.

Along the way up the recent avalanche activity was observed in the Catherines area of Alta.

Grady the newest member of the group

Ron hit the pass and couldn't have been happier! (note the lack of snow cover in the background was result of a MASSIVE avalanche triggered last week at Sunset Peak)

We made it to the top of Rocky Point and decided to ski a lap in Dry Fork. Ron was 1st to drop in.

Then Grady

and finally me skiing into Dry Fork

Here is me on the skin route out of Dry Fork with Sunset Peak in the Background.

Point Superme was the last summit of the day. Ron was on it 1st.

The crew ready for lap 2, well except my twin brother who takes all these pics.

But being the photographer gets you 1st tracks! Here were his 1st tracks on Helicopter Hill.

Next up was me!

Then Grady.

Last was Ron.

Just our tracks on Helipcopter Hill! Such a beautiful sight!

Those pics of the tracks are really cool. I wish I could partake in these shenanigans. I think it's probably impossible to ski anywhere but on the slopes over here because we just have too many damn trees. Thanks for sharing.

Those pics of the tracks are really cool. I wish I could partake in these shenanigans. I think it's probably impossible to ski anywhere but on the slopes over here because we just have too many damn trees. Thanks for sharing.
I think you'd fit right in. Ron grew up on long island and moved here 10 years ago. Grady (the noob) just moved from Vermont to Utah. In a month my buddy Dan will be spending 4 months here before returning to New York. As for the actual shenanigans...oh yeah, all we do is drink, laugh, skin up, laugh, ski, drink, and repeat. It's been that way for years!

There are lots of Tree'd runs that I enjoy but right now options are very limited due to the lack of snow cover below 10,000 feet. As the coverage gets better and the avalanches conditions improve I will have more exciting places to share with you guys.

I think you'd fit right in. Ron grew up on long island and moved here 10 years ago. Grady (the noob) just moved from Vermont to Utah. In a month my buddy Dan will be spending 4 months here before returning to New York. As for the actual shenanigans...oh yeah, all we do is drink, laugh, skin up, laugh, ski, drink, and repeat. It's been that way for years!

There are lots of Tree'd runs that I enjoy but right now options are very limited due to the lack of snow cover below 10,000 feet. As the coverage gets better and the avalanches conditions improve I will have more exciting places to share with you guys.

*packs a bottle of Johnnie Walker, Clark Griswold style sledding disc, and health insurance card.. heads to airport :frantic:

totally wish I could!

@Tye Dye Twins - You spend a lot of time skiing in the Wasatch, do you by chance know anything about this? Not disclosing the location, of course. I found it hiking this year and I'm curious who he was and what the story is. I figure if anyone knows, you might.

upload_2014-12-7_22-40-26.png

I heard a rumor that there was a memorial to someone on Rocky Point over the summer. The memorial was still there but I don't know about the whiskey this time.....we were already pretty buzzed (fireball) and the wind doesn't make that a friendly place to sit for any period of time.

Here are some pics from when I visited it in the summer....It would appear that it is almost empty in my pics from August.

There was a bottle of pendleton whiskey left in the artillery shell. I took a shot. I spoke to two other climbers, when they asked what I was doing I replied "drinkin to whoever this poor son of a bitch was". We pondered who he was, how he died, etc. and spoke to each other for a while. Kinda cool as I would have otherwise just given a friendly hello to those hikers if that wasn't there.

IMGP1015_zpsd38e4378.jpg

IMGP1016_zps06916d20.jpg

And I added a little thing of my own.....and drank it at the memorial site.
IMGP1011_zps605f2cb9.jpg

IMGP1009_zpsc9f24264.jpg

Hey @Tye Dye Twins what's up with the pumpkin ale in the summer? Where do you even buy that in the summer?
I got it at wallmart. Wasatch brew also makes a black o lantern beer that kicks ass too. (far right in my pic)

My favorite pumpkin beer is made by Ace. It is also very hard to find. Only saw it 2 years ago till last week.
Ace-Hard-Pumpkin-Cider.jpg