Cataloochee (GSMNP)

wsp_scott

I met a friend for a 3 night trip to the Smoky Mountains. The weather was perfect, sunny and highs in upper 50s, lows around 30, and no rain.

I had been eyeing the Cataloochee Valley since early fall, but was not able to make it down to see/hear the elk in rut or to see the fall colors. We still had a good time.

I did not take my SLR, but I'm still happy with some of the cell phone pics.

2016-11-12%2B15.40.03.jpg

2016-11-12%2B10.43.26.jpg

2016-11-11%2B12.53.32.jpg

2016-11-11%2B12.28.06.jpg

2016-11-10%2B14.26.10.jpg

lots more pics/detail here http://backpackandbeer.blogspot.com/2016/11/cataloochee-valley.html

Looks awesome! I really liked the picture of the mystery tree.
And those headstones are very interesting as well. Historical stuff always gets me.

One of the things I like about the smokies is the history of the area.

Here are a couple pics from a trip last December

There are some old cemeteries that are still maintained by local family members. It is interesting and sad to walk through some of them and imagine what life was like. This family seems to have had a couple bad years.
2015-12-27%2B10.48.05.jpg

There is a stretch of the Lakeshore Trail along Fontana Lake where there are a couple old cars that were abandoned.

2015-12-26%2B14.41.09.jpg

Nice @wsp_scott . I live in Lexington, KY as well. I havent backpacked in the Smokies, we whitewater kayak there a lot in the winter though.
Check out Joyce Kilmer-Slickrock and Bald River Gorge sometime, both gems south of the Smokies.

Nice @wsp_scott . I live in Lexington, KY as well. I havent backpacked in the Smokies, we whitewater kayak there a lot in the winter though.
Check out Joyce Kilmer-Slickrock and Bald River Gorge sometime, both gems south of the Smokies.

I made it to Slickrock twice this year, had crappy weather both times :) Never checked out Bald River Gorge, but heard good things.

I'm going back to the smokies next week to check out the fire damage and appreciate the popular places when most people have been scared away.