Cascade Corner Yellowstone

Tater Head

Hoo are you looking at?
I have always wanted to backpack in this area. I have heard that there are several water falls and quite a bit of wildlife in the area. I wonder if that's why they call it CASCADE corner.ahee ahee... Has anybody been?I have three day weekends and wondered how much I could visit in two and a half days of hiking. It's only a few hours from where I live. I would leave Thursday after work and head home Sunday afternoon. Any info would be great. Thanks

There are several loop hikes in the area like Cave Falls (about 6 miles)or you can always go to Union Falls (about 16 mile round trip). I have not visited that portion of the park as of yet, but I know there are many options. This book tells a lot about the hikes in the area. Hiking Yellowstone National Park by Bill Schneider

Reactions: DAA

DAA

Thanks for the tip on the book Y-1. Taking the family for a week in June, would like to at least get in a good day hike or two while we're there. S

- DAA

Thanks for the tip on the book Y-1. Taking the family for a week in June, would like to at least get in a good day hike or two while we're there. S

- DAA
You can also read the fabulous trip reports and Trail Guides for Yellowstone right here on BCP Dave. ;)
Or if you want some real time/experience info PM me.

Last edited:

Tater Head

Hoo are you looking at?
Should have the book in my hands by Tuesday. Thanks

Scott Chandler

Wildness is a necessity- John Muir
Union Falls is an excellent destination. It is very neat and you can go right down to it. Also not too far from it is Ouzel Pool, also known as Scout Pool. Its a sweet swimming hole fed by thermal waters so it isn't cold like every other stream in that area.

Be prepared to ford COLD rivers. There are not many bridges in that area.

Union Falls 043.JPG
Union Falls 071.JPG

Oh yeah, Ouzel is deep enough you can "cliff" jump into it. :)

Bob

Trailmaster
DAA........ June may be a little early. Grassy lake road may be snowed in as well. I vote for Mr Bubbles...... :) Falcon Books guide is pretty good and get a Trails Illustrated Map.

DAA........ June may be a little early. Grassy lake road may be snowed in as well. I vote for Mr Bubbles...... :) Falcon Books guide is pretty good and get a Trails Illustrated Map.
Agreed, Grassy Lake Road could still be snow packed in June. I have seen Lewis Lake Campground closed until the end of June a couple times because of snow. I think @DAA just wanted general trail info though? @Tater Head wanted to know more about that part of the park. Have you been in the Bechler Area (Cascade Corner) @Bob?

Last edited:
Reactions: DAA

Riggs

We did a several day backpack trip there once. The hot spring at the bottom of Dunanda Falls is great, you sit in the spray of the falls in the hot water. It's about 8 miles in, there's a campsite near it. There's other places to soak in that corner of the park. It's legal to get in as long as the hot has mixed with cold. There was one huge waterfall that was about 95 deg., don't remember the name though. We did it in Sept., drier ground and less bugs then, I've heard. We did get soaked a couple days in downpours. Worth every minute. Lots of cool waterfalls.

Tater Head

Hoo are you looking at?
We did a several day backpack trip there once. The hot spring at the bottom of Dunanda Falls is great, you sit in the spray of the falls in the hot water. It's about 8 miles in, there's a campsite near it. There's other places to soak in that corner of the park. It's legal to get in as long as the hot has mixed with cold. There was one huge waterfall that was about 95 deg., don't remember the name though. We did it in Sept., drier ground and less bugs then, I've heard. We did get soaked a couple days in downpours. Worth every minute. Lots of cool waterfalls.[/quote
Union Falls is an excellent destination. It is very neat and you can go right down to it. Also not too far from it is Ouzel Pool, also known as Scout Pool. Its a sweet swimming hole fed by thermal waters so it isn't cold like every other stream in that area.

Be prepared to ford COLD rivers. There are not many bridges in that area.

View attachment 14691 View attachment 14692

Oh yeah, Ouzel is deep enough you can "cliff" jump into it. :)
Great pics... I would imagine you need a backcountry permit? If so are they hard to get?

Bob

Trailmaster
Been from Lonestar, down thru Bechler, across to Union Falls to Grassy Lk to Beula Lk and out to S entrance Station on a trip. Been into Union Falls area a couple of times, up to Ouzel, Dunada. Drive down Grassy Lk road a lot of times. It is Mosquito central for the USA, even in mid August. Nice area. Some good fishing. Permits needed, apply by April. Some are hard to get up in Bechler. Mr Bubbles is a must stop. Mid July and mid Aug see boy scouts around Union Falls.

HomerJ

I've been wanting to hike this from Kepler Cascades to Cave Falls for years!

Tater Head

Hoo are you looking at?
There are several loop hikes in the area like Cave Falls (about 6 miles)or you can always go to Union Falls (about 16 mile round trip). I have not visited that portion of the park as of yet, but I know there are many options. This book tells a lot about the hikes in the area. Hiking Yellowstone National Park by Bill Schneider

Thanks for the tip on the book.
Thanks for the tip on the book. I got it from Amozon today. Tons of day hikes for me and the whole family. I think Osprey Falls looks like one I would like to give a try. Thanks again...

Don't forget to check out the trail guides for Yellowstone right here on BCP @Tater Head. They give you a little different perspective than the book does and also more pictures. Right now there are 8 trail guides and another one to be added in the next few days. You will like Osprey Falls if you do it.

Tater Head

Hoo are you looking at?
Don't forget to check out the trail guides for Yellowstone right here on BCP @Tater Head. They give you a little different perspective than the book does and also more pictures. Right now there are 8 trail guides and another one to be added in the next few days. You will like Osprey Falls if you do it.
I read your trip report on Ribbon Lake earlier today. Looks great. For some reason lately I have been in love with waterfalls.

I read your trip report on Ribbon Lake earlier today. Looks good. For some reason lately I have been in love with waterfalls.
If you are looking for some easy short hikes to waterfalls, you can check out Mystic Falls or Fairy Falls. The longest of those hikes is Fairy Falls but it's pretty cool. Best to do it in the morning. Mystic gets more people, but if you catch it at the right time you can be alone.