Canyonlands's Maze and Fins Loop

Joey

walking somewhere
This is my trip video for an 8 day backpacking trip I did into the Maze and Fins sections of Canyonlands National Park.
I wrote a trip report for it here: http://backcountrypost.com/threads/8-days-in-the-maze-canyonlands-np.3553/#post-41451 . But my pictures don't show up anymore (a Facebook issue), so it's not that good of a read (I did try to edit and add new photos in there, but the website won't allow me to upload images). The exciting part of this trip was a 24 hour stretch of rain while I was down in the Fins, which resulted in multiple floods.

Here is a link to the route on Caltopo: http://caltopo.com/map?id=2D5E
maze overview 2.png Maze overview.png

I love the tight squeezes and other natural features but the petroglyphs are just really cool!

It's been a long time since I camped through a good storm so I'm jealous.

The flooding looks intimidating

Nice math on the calories and TP.

Wow on the climbing with a full pack (at least the TP wasn't weighing you down).

Thanks for sharing!

I'm pretty sure I read that report last year. And if my memory serves me right, the lack of food on the last day was more of an issue than I was lead to believe in the video. Regardless I really enjoy the video's you've been producing. It can be addicting and fun. The best part? Your getting really good at it. Keep up the good work, Utah.

Side note: Isn't it about time for you to hit the trail?

Very nice. First time I heard of the Maze was when a backpacking acquaintance invited me on a trip there. It sounded so sketchy I didn't bother rearranging my schedule so I could go. Maybe some day. It's beautiful.

I'm pretty sure I read that report last year. And if my memory serves me right, the lack of food on the last day was more of an issue than I was lead to believe in the video. Regardless I really enjoy the video's you've been producing. It can be addicting and fun. The best part? Your getting really good at it. Keep up the good work, Utah.
Books are always better than the movie :). But your confusing trips. That was my Lower Basins/Monument Basin trip across the river in Island in the Sky. I had no food the last day, and hiked maybe 12 miles or so before climbing straight up maybe 1200 feet in the heat of the day. Then I stuffed myself with food when I got back to the van. Already dehydrated, eating food only made things worse. Taking caffeine pills earlier that day didn't help either. I got dizzy, my heart was racing, and I was burning up. I had to lay down for an hour in the shade before being able to stand up. It was pretty scary. Think back to my video where you made the wise crack about combing my hair ;). That's the trip.

On the last day of this trip I managed myself better. Even though I was low on food, caffeine helped stave off hunger. I also made myself take shaded breaks and drank a large amount of water to keep me full.

Side note: Isn't it about time for you to hit the trail?
Vans in the shop getting fixed, should be ready any day now. When I get it back........:wavespin:

Nice video Joey. Crazy how vast the backcountry is out west. Beautiful out there. I felt for you during those wet days. You're tough as nails man.

Nice video Joey. Crazy how vast the backcountry is out west. Beautiful out there. I felt for you during those wet days. You're tough as nails man.
Thanks John, its not tough at all. Kind of fun really.
Since you played the Skid Row card earlier this week, curious if you know the song/band playing at the beginning. Or how they impacted 90's rock. :)

You're right in my wheelhouse @Joey! I was a 90's teen. I know the band/song well and I definitely know the impact as I was a huge Pearl Jam fan. Thinking about all this... it might have been more appropriate for you to use another song from another band made of MLB members since you ran out of food at the end of your trip. Can you guess the song/band I'm referencing??? This is fun!

You're right in my wheelhouse @Joey! I was a 90's teen. I know the band/song well and I definitely know the impact as I was a huge Pearl Jam fan. Thinking about all this... it might have been more appropriate for you to use another song from another band made of MLB members since you ran out of food at the end of your trip. Can you guess the song/band I'm referencing??? This is fun!

:)

Haha ding ding ding.. Lobbed up a softball for you.
I'm impressed you knew about Mother Love Bone. That whole Temple of the Dog album was put together because of Andrew Wood's death. Pretty crazy what became of all that.

@Joey - we are planning a loop in The Maze in late April. Your video was a great reminder for me to be hitting the gym ASAP to get my body ready for the heavy pack. I sent it to our group as a reminder to be prepared for wind/rain. :)