Canyonlands/Needles hiking along river

Mike Schasch

Hey there,

I'm wondering if anybody has any beta on hiking from Spanish bottom (Needles side) up past the confluence of the Green, and up and out the exit canyon roughly 1.3 miles upstream of the confluence. In particular I'm wondering about the zone right below the confluence overlook area. Doesn't look like there is a lot of room, but thats the best I can tell from space (google earth).

Thanks

Which exit canyon are you thinking about? Horse doesn't go and Salt must be difficult in upstream mode - at least 5.9 or aid. I would love to know of any other.

The two non technical ways I have done are the Box Elder camp to cat track up near the Loop, and the scramble almost directly above the confluence, pictured here:

image by jan nikolajsen, on Flickr

Thanks guys. We've got packrafts, but sometimes prefer the simplicity of traveling on foot.

Cool to know there is another scramble out. Where abouts is it?

The route I saw is circled in red:
2017-02-21 07_57_57-Canyonlands National Park - Google Maps.png

I've looked up the one you circle in red. Looks good. You've done it? There's a small lip at the top.

The confluence exit is on the pic below. This is a loop starting and ending at Big Spring. First down that canyon, then Salt to the river. Paddle down and up the scramble ending at Cyclone and following the Confluence Overlook trail back to the car. About 17 miles. Long day. Includes a 40' rappel in Salt.

image by jan nikolajsen, on Flickr

Very interesting, that break might work even better. Thanks!

I've not done my proposed route, or any route in the area for that matter. Trying to create an awesome loop for our first time to the Needles.

The route I saw is circled in red:
View attachment 52530

I've gone up that canyon. It's a scramble, but not that bad. One can't get out at the top though -- so you have to meander back to the west and then south to connect with the Confluence descent route to get all the way up. I did it back in 2009 when I couldn't spot the other route from the bottom.

Also... FYI, there is no more walking along the river north of that point as it gets walled out.

Looking up the canyon from the bottom:

92gAb_feb9R45wtpizqlMhiIbwdzNeqQo42-dltMwsjqZdQ35zOsVzGeMJGGqOiKWQ1LmO4rfvQIphge6CN5sM5UmrxXtw=s0-d

BTW -- if you wanna see a bit more of that canyon, check out my NV to CO video. The very end of part 3 has me trying to make my way up the canyon and finding it blocked. This link should jump to that section (if not, go to 11:45ish):

Back then I didn't have that much experience scrambling. I had only casually noted the location of the Confluence scramble route and thus was kinda making it up as I went -- so forgive the overly dramatic video. :)

Also -- once up on the higher ridges, there's another gully to the east which I didn't explore that might go out to the top. This area is within the Needles North zone btw -- which usually makes it easier to grab a permit if you want to camp.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
K Hiking the Needles Canyonlands Trip Planning 9
Sarah Canyonlands: Hiking the Needles and Island in the Sky Hiking & Camping 6
rinats Canyonlands/Needles: Salt Creek to Chesler Park Trip Planning 6
SeanIsADesertRat Interesting/mysterious patterns Needles District, Canyonlands General Discussion 19
Desertratgal Backpacking/Packrafting Needles and Maze Districts of Canyonlands Trip Planning 3
TrailScot Canyonlands NP Needles backpacking permit in winter General Discussion 5
angeedraper Canyonlands - Needles 2 Night Backpacking (April 29-May1) Backpacking 0
J Canyonlands Needles District simple backpack with a close friend April 1-3, 2021 Backpacking 2
JBPHXAZ Canyonlands Needles Backpacking Suggestions Trip Planning 8
AKay09 Canyonlands NP: Needles District 4/24-4/27 Backpacking 11
J Canyonlands Natl Park Needles District Circumnavigation April 9 to 15, 2018 Backpacking 1
JDWalters Canyonlands/ Needles District question Trip Planning 5
George_Washington_Hayduke Canyonlands Figure 8: Packrafting Loop through the Needles and Maze District Backpacking 3
C day hikes in Canyonlands Needles in late November Trip Planning 19
J Canyonlands Needles Dist.: Crosscanyon Backpack Traverse April 10-15, 2016 Backpacking 1
IntrepidXJ Bear-proof gear will be required at Needles District of Canyonlands General Discussion 36
Melissa Suggestions for shuttle hike in the Needles district of Canyonlands Trip Planning 17
Tyler Canyonlands NP: Needles District (Paul Bunyans Potty, Tower Ruin, and Druid Arch) May 2008 Hiking & Camping 3
M Canyonlands, and some random routes Trip Planning 7
Desertratgal Packrafting Canyonlands Round 2: Dates? Trip Planning 2
Desertratgal 5 Days Solo Packrafting Canyonlands On The Water 4
Desertratgal Canyonlands Packrafting Rough Draft Trip Planning 18
dpnoll Colorado Canyonlands Backpacking 10
IntrepidXJ Arches and Canyonlands National Parks Accepting Comments on Proposed Fee Increases for Backcountry Operations General Discussion 38
Laura V. Bears in Salt Creek Canyon, Canyonlands Trip Planning 76
IntrepidXJ Canyonlands Permits going to Recreation.gov General Discussion 4
J Family hike in the Maze in June? (Canyonlands / Moab) Am I crazy? Trip Planning 5
Parma Pssst, don't tell anyone but Canyonlands is opening up General Discussion 3
gnwatts BLM Oil and Gas lease auction, Arches, Canyonlands, Bears Ears etc. General Discussion 5
DouginGJCO Hiking &/or backpacking partner for Canyonlands Natl Park and nearby Noobs: Introduce yourself! 0
OwenM Canyonlands in winter/off-season Trip Planning 19
chandlerwest Monument Basin - Canyonlands NP - Not enough hours in a day. Hiking & Camping 6
P Salt creek in Canyonlands Trip Planning 13
Parma Missing Person In Canyonlands General Discussion 2
U Maze District of Canyonlands question Trip Planning 15
M Water in Canyonlands Salt Creek early April? Trip Planning 11
zionsky Arches & Canyonlands closed due to snow General Discussion 12
Benjamin Hayden Looking for advice on Maze District, Canyonlands Trip Planning 1
C cave of 200 hands in Canyonlands Trip Planning 0
IntrepidXJ Canyonlands National Park: Expanded Bear Container Requirements General Discussion 7
D Canyonlands 1976 Backpacking 2
Brian Skibbe Moab, Arches NP, Canyonlands NP. May 2017 Hiking & Camping 3
J "Mazing" Six day backpack in Canyonlands Maze Dist. Pt 2. April 13-15, 2017 Backpacking 8
J "Mazing" Six day backpack in Canyonlands Maze Dist. Pt 1. April 10-12, 2017 Backpacking 0
blueeyes Canyonlands/Moab Jug Handle Bikepack Loop March 18, 2017 Everything Else 21
C Canyonlands: Chesler Park, Virginia Park ??? Trip Planning 7
C Horse Canyon on Canyonlands Trip Planning 7
D 2 or 3 DayTrip To Canyonlands National Park Trip Planning 34
Vegan.Hiker Canyonlands NP (Part 4 of 4) Backpacking 14
Vegan.Hiker Canyonlands NP (Part 3 of 4) On The Water 8