Canyonlands (2010) with Mineral Bottom Switchbacks Missing....

CaptnKidd

These pictures are from a 2010 trip down to Canyonlands (Island in the Sky district) and Dead Horse State park with the family, it was my kids first exposure to camping in the desert and they loved it. I really wanted to go on some of the White Rim Road this time out as I have read so much about it. But as you will see shortly, that wasn't going to happen.

Here is the view from Grand View Point Overlook.
DSC_0210.JPG

Here is a shot looking down the Shafer Trail Switchbacks. I couldn't wait to take a ride up these. We drove all the way out near Moab on Road 279 which eventually connected to Pot Ash Road (142) so that we could drive all the way through the bottom and drive up these switchbacks. It was pretty amazing, except the evaporation ponds.. This is looking down the day before we actually made the drive up.
DSC_0219.JPG

It wasn't too bad except it was a bit more stressful considering I had my twin 3 year old's in the back.
DSC_0220.JPG

In Southern Utah this is when you know an amazing display of mother natures power is about to be revealed, and it did not disappoint.
DSC_0252.JPG

Signs of some serious water damage ahead but I never expected the amount of damage that we found.
DSC_0253.JPG

Yes, the Mineral Bottom Switchbacks are pretty much gone.
DSC_0262.JPG

DSC_0265.JPG

It was pretty amazing and to this day there is a picture of this in my kids playroom and they still call this the broken. They really want to go back and drive on it now that it's been repaired.
DSC_0267.JPG

Sums it up pretty well..
DSC_0271.JPG

My daughter playing on her favorite truck.
DSC_0293.JPG

Stopping for lunch before the assent. It's no Jeep but it's all locked up and get's us out into my favorite playground, Southern Utah (pretty much anywhere).
DSC_0333.JPG

DSC_0350.JPG

It was pretty funny, the guy in that black SUV made it to the first serious switch back and turned around. There are a few that require 3 point turns in longer trucks like mine.
DSC_0365.JPG

It was an amazing trip that the kids still remember. In 2014 I visited and hiked the Needles district, I plan to visit the Maze in March, can't wait!

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

Thanks for posting that! That's a great looking Tahoe, I love it.

I remember when storms cut the switchbacks. It still amazes me they were able to rebuild it.

Great pics of the carnage. I drove down it for the first time after the slide and I just couldn't believe they had put it back together so well. Still not a fun road to drive with 2-way traffic and people on bikes all over the place!

Yeah, there are a lot of switch backs in Southern Utah that are just wicked, but so fun.

I was also blown away with how fast they were repaired. When I was reading about it I think they got lucky and received some money from the feds. to get it up and running quickly.

I needed a place to stay the night before meeting my friends in Moab. I took the Mineral Bottom road. Got a kick out of the "Swithcbacks are closed (missing)" I camped right there.

I had obtained a permit for the White Rim before the switchbacks were taken out, and then they were washed out before my trip, so I couldn't complete the loop.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Nick Canyonlands+Arches, October 2010 Hiking & Camping 0
rinats Canyonlands/Needles: Salt Creek to Chesler Park Trip Planning 6
M Canyonlands, and some random routes Trip Planning 7
SeanIsADesertRat Interesting/mysterious patterns Needles District, Canyonlands General Discussion 19
Desertratgal Backpacking/Packrafting Needles and Maze Districts of Canyonlands Trip Planning 3
Desertratgal Packrafting Canyonlands Round 2: Dates? Trip Planning 2
Desertratgal 5 Days Solo Packrafting Canyonlands On The Water 4
Desertratgal Canyonlands Packrafting Rough Draft Trip Planning 18
dpnoll Colorado Canyonlands Backpacking 10
TrailScot Canyonlands NP Needles backpacking permit in winter General Discussion 5
angeedraper Canyonlands - Needles 2 Night Backpacking (April 29-May1) Backpacking 0
J Canyonlands Needles District simple backpack with a close friend April 1-3, 2021 Backpacking 2
IntrepidXJ Arches and Canyonlands National Parks Accepting Comments on Proposed Fee Increases for Backcountry Operations General Discussion 38
Laura V. Bears in Salt Creek Canyon, Canyonlands Trip Planning 76
IntrepidXJ Canyonlands Permits going to Recreation.gov General Discussion 4
J Family hike in the Maze in June? (Canyonlands / Moab) Am I crazy? Trip Planning 5
Parma Pssst, don't tell anyone but Canyonlands is opening up General Discussion 3
gnwatts BLM Oil and Gas lease auction, Arches, Canyonlands, Bears Ears etc. General Discussion 5
DouginGJCO Hiking &/or backpacking partner for Canyonlands Natl Park and nearby Noobs: Introduce yourself! 0
OwenM Canyonlands in winter/off-season Trip Planning 19
chandlerwest Monument Basin - Canyonlands NP - Not enough hours in a day. Hiking & Camping 6
JBPHXAZ Canyonlands Needles Backpacking Suggestions Trip Planning 8
P Salt creek in Canyonlands Trip Planning 13
Parma Missing Person In Canyonlands General Discussion 2
U Maze District of Canyonlands question Trip Planning 15
M Water in Canyonlands Salt Creek early April? Trip Planning 11
zionsky Arches & Canyonlands closed due to snow General Discussion 12
Benjamin Hayden Looking for advice on Maze District, Canyonlands Trip Planning 1
C cave of 200 hands in Canyonlands Trip Planning 0
AKay09 Canyonlands NP: Needles District 4/24-4/27 Backpacking 11
IntrepidXJ Canyonlands National Park: Expanded Bear Container Requirements General Discussion 7
K Hiking the Needles Canyonlands Trip Planning 9
J Canyonlands Natl Park Needles District Circumnavigation April 9 to 15, 2018 Backpacking 1
D Canyonlands 1976 Backpacking 2
Brian Skibbe Moab, Arches NP, Canyonlands NP. May 2017 Hiking & Camping 3
JDWalters Canyonlands/ Needles District question Trip Planning 5
J "Mazing" Six day backpack in Canyonlands Maze Dist. Pt 2. April 13-15, 2017 Backpacking 8
J "Mazing" Six day backpack in Canyonlands Maze Dist. Pt 1. April 10-12, 2017 Backpacking 0
blueeyes Canyonlands/Moab Jug Handle Bikepack Loop March 18, 2017 Everything Else 21
C Canyonlands: Chesler Park, Virginia Park ??? Trip Planning 7
Mike Schasch Canyonlands/Needles hiking along river Trip Planning 7
George_Washington_Hayduke Canyonlands Figure 8: Packrafting Loop through the Needles and Maze District Backpacking 3
C Horse Canyon on Canyonlands Trip Planning 7
D 2 or 3 DayTrip To Canyonlands National Park Trip Planning 34
C day hikes in Canyonlands Needles in late November Trip Planning 19
Vegan.Hiker Canyonlands NP (Part 4 of 4) Backpacking 14
Vegan.Hiker Canyonlands NP (Part 3 of 4) On The Water 8
J Canyonlands Needles Dist.: Crosscanyon Backpack Traverse April 10-15, 2016 Backpacking 1
Vegan.Hiker Canyonlands NP (Part 2 of 4) Backpacking 18
Vegan.Hiker Canyonlands NP (Part 1 of 4) Backpacking 12