Canyoneering Sunglow Canyon

Outdoors24

So in the "how to make BCP better" thread I said that I needed to put more trip reports in. So here is the start of a whole bunch of trips that I did last year. This past December me and my brother ran down to Bicknell to do a easy beginner canyon. The trail starts at the Sunglow Campground and works its way to the tops of the cliffs above it.

IMG_1372.JPG

IMG_1373.JPG

The canyon begins by walking down a wash for a little ways.

IMG_1374.JPG

IMG_1412.JPG

IMG_1384.JPG

The first two rappels were natural anchors and the last two were off bolts.

IMG_1390.JPG

IMG_1377.JPG
IMG_1386.JPG
IMG_1393.JPG
IMG_1408.JPG
IMG_1401.JPG
IMG_1403.JPG

Once we got to the first rappel it was one rappel after another. I could see why they call it Sunglow. The sun hit the rock perfectly. My pictures don't do it justice. If you are headed to the Capitol Reef area and looking to add a short canyon to your trip I would recommend this one.

That's awesome! Hoping to get into technical canyoneering some day... seems like a blast! How long have you been doing it?

That's awesome! Hoping to get into technical canyoneering some day... seems like a blast! How long have you been doing it?
I took a canyoneering course about a year and a half ago, but right after the course my work schedule changed to where I didn't really have the time to do it. I did manage to sneak a couple canyons in Zion last year. Now my schedule has changed again to where I have more time to do it, so I am hoping to do more this year. If you ever get the chance to take a course I highly recommend it. It's a blast!

Would love to.

From whom did you take the course?
I took the course from North Wash Outfitters down in Blanding. Jared was a very good instructor and it was one of the most affordable courses at the time. I'm not sure what the pricing is like now, but I bet it's still pretty similiar.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Yvonne Zion Wilderness Permits and Canyoneering permits opened up again General Discussion 11
IntrepidXJ Capitol Reef: Pilot Canyoneering Permit System General Discussion 0
P Info for The Gulch to Horse Canyon Loop. (canyoneering 3 # 32) Trip Planning 11
Nick Invite Zion Canyoneering 5/5 Meet Up (Members Only) 1
swmalone Question about Moab Canyoneering Trips/Guides General Discussion 8
S Kanab Canyoneering with kids Canyoneering 4
S Canyoneering guided- Hanksville Canyoneering 0
George_Washington_Hayduke North Wash Canyoneering: Sawtooth, Bingo, Hog 3, Hog 4 Canyoneering 2
wsp_scott Canyoneering Kentucky style Canyoneering 4
Rockskipper Going canyoneering? Don't forget the dish soap. General Discussion 0
Blake Merrell KiDdIe CaNyOnEeRiNg - Fin's & Things with the Family Canyoneering 2
Ross Hiking/easy canyoneering partner for Bull Valley Gorge,Sand Wash (Red Cave) & other spots Trip Planning 0
Christian Video Trip Report of Zion Canyoneering Canyoneering 5
Outdoors24 Canyoneering harness Gear 3
Blake Merrell Canyoneering in the Roost! Canyoneering 25
Aldaron Southern Utah Canyoneering Canyoneering 29
Blake Merrell Canyoneering Water Canyon Canyoneering 6
Blake Merrell High Adventure 2015 - Day 1 - Canyoneering Double Arch Canyon Canyoneering 2
Blake Merrell kIdDiE cAnYoNeErInG Part II - Double Arch Canyon Canyoneering 4
TrektheWorld Zion Canyoneering around June 20th Trip Planning 12
Christian Canyoneering East Blarney, Big Springs East, hiking to some less frequented areas in Moab Canyoneering 4
Blake Merrell Opportunity to draft a Mountaineering/Canyoneering Policy for the UNPC Everything Else 4
Howells Outdoors Canyoneering and Backpacking in the Grand Canyon Canyoneering 7
TrektheWorld Canyoneering opportunity in southern Utah General Discussion 1
M Doable, right? What do you think...Canyoneering the Roost Trip Planning 4
Christian Invite: Canyoneering this weekend Meet Up (Members Only) 34
Blake Merrell Canyoneering in Heaven.... eh, I mean Eagle Creek! Canyoneering 7
Blake Merrell Canyoneering the Elephants Butt, eh... I mean BUTTE! Canyoneering 2
DrNed Rope For Non Canyoneering Gear 18
Blake Merrell Kiddie Canyoneering: Cassidy Arch Canyon Canyoneering 8
Howells Outdoors 1st Grand Canyoneering Canyoneering 4
alene Canyoneering and ratings General Discussion 4
Yellowstone 1 Canyoneering/Rappelling Gear Questions Gear 12
DiscGo What device do you prefer for Canyoneering? Gear 9
Laura Best way to learn canyoneering General Discussion 10
Deadeye008 Changes for Zion NP canyoneering permits General Discussion 2
cirrus2000 Cypress Creek in the Snow - Canyoneering in BC Canyoneering 2
J Reflection Canyon Trip Planning 3
fossana Found: prescription glasses near the top of the Flipoff Canyon approach General Discussion 5
Spud Salt Creek Canyon question Trip Planning 11
B Buckskin gulch/Pariah canyon Carpool Trip Planning 0
TractorDoc Paintbrush Canyon / Cascade Canyon Loop -- Grand Teton NP September 11, 2023 Hiking & Camping 9
Kullaberg63 15 day canyon route Backpacking 13
Titans Tricked in the canyon! Hiking & Camping 5
TrailScot Dayhiking the Under-the-Rim Trail - Bryce Canyon NP - October 2023 Hiking & Camping 4
Janice Such a GRAND Canyon - Deer Creek / Tapeats / Thunder River Backpacking 21
M Mee/Knowles Canyon Loop, Grand Junction Colorado Backpacking 4
OldBill Short hike at the Grand Canyon of Pennsylvania Hiking & Camping 1
S Paria Canyon- Whitehouse to Lees Ferry, Oct 18 to 21, 2023 Trip Reports 0
scatman Yellowstone's Thorofare, Headwaters of Thorofare Creek, Majo Pass, Younts Peak, Bob's Canyon, and Cub Creek - August 9, 2023 - Days 7 through 10 Backpacking 34