Canvas prints?

I haven't done more through them.......... yet! But I will! I had it heat pressed to a foam board. My wife works at Jo Ann Fabric and they did it for me in the frame department. Thats one reason I had it cut down a foot. They can only do up to 60 inches. I was told that a place in Murray called Pixels can do bigger. I think they are just off 90000s and state street. I didn't do anything different for the printing either. Just the same as if I was going to print on glossy and it looked great. Same with the other Canvas ones I have does at a print shop in Afton Wy.

Interesting discussion! I was just looking at canvas vs. aluminum print for a photo I'm giving my boyfriend for Christmas. I went with aluminum, though the canvas was nice too, it just gave it a heavier feel and texture. I got it done through a professional photo store here in San Diego for $65 (18 x 24) but I don't have a printer so didn't feel I had much choice. Will see how it turned out on Friday!

Could one of you with a WHCC account tell me how much a 12x18 canvas would be from them? Both framed and unframed? I guess an unframed 12x18 would actually be more like a 14x20.

Thanks!

- DAA

I had missed it on their site somehow.

Dang! They are mighty proud of those gallery wraps. Way more expensive than Costco.

- DAA

No, the prices are what they are at WHCC. They typically run sales twice a year though. The sale prices are still more expensive than Costco.

Glad to hear it! I've been looking more into having quite a few made soon and Costco's prices are just too good to ignore - runnning about half or even less than half of the commonly sugested labs. I don't have the experience to judge the quality other than to say that of the three sources I have used so far Costco has clearly been the best.

- DAA

Holy schnitzel, I have been contemplating a canvas for a while so I went to WHCC to take a look. They don't just have canvas prints; they have avagadro's number of different canvas varieties. Now I really don't know where/what to print.

Has anyone ever gotten their canvas prints done with a black or white edge wrap rather than having the image go all the way around? I have a pic I wanted to get printed up but it messes up the comp if I let the image go over the edge.

This is the pic I want to get done:

IMG_0692.jpg

The problem is when I set it up on the canvas, the cliff edge on the right rolls off the side. I'm thinking the black edge wrap but wondering if it's going to look odd and maybe I should just opt for a frame. Any ideas?

Can you get a standout instead of a gallery wrap in the appropriate size? That would give you a black edge.

I'm trying to do this through Costco so I don't think so. Is a standout just basically a print that is built out a bit?

Most of my images printed on canvas just mirrors the image for a few inches each way so you don't change the composition at all. It's pretty common solution to this problem.

Most of my images printed on canvas just mirrors the image for a few inches each way so you don't change the composition at all. It's pretty common solution to this problem.

Perhaps this is one of the reasons Costco does it for so much less? I can't seem to find that option. I suppose I could mirror it myself but if it didn't line up perfectly, that could look bad.

I've never printed at Costco (don't have one here), but I know some other places online give you the option to mirror the edges.....but you are probably right that they keep prices lower by not doing things like that.

Do you have a pic of the transition point where it mirrors on one of your canvas prints, Randy? I'm just curious exactly how that looks all finished.