Canon 6Dmk2

Wanderlust073

Anyone shooting with the 6d mk2 and using (abusing) it in the backcountry a lot? I'm curious how the flip-out touchscreen handles the outdoors as far as exposure to grimy hands, dirt, etc. Web reviews say it is weather sealed equivalent to the 5D mk4 but none of these reviews ever seem to really bang on the things they are reviewing.

It has a few critical features I really miss in the first gen 6D, and is a hell of a lot cheaper than the 5D.

I can only say that I absolutely loved the flip out on my 60D. No issues with dirt and abuse, and abuse is my specialty! I would be all over that camera if it weren't for the faster shooting speed that I need in the 5d4 for work stuff.

I can only say that I absolutely loved the flip out on my 60D. No issues with dirt and abuse, and abuse is my specialty! I would be all over that camera if it weren't for the faster shooting speed that I need in the 5d4 for work stuff.

Good to know. I was getting ready to pick up the 5D today because it shoots 4K video till I read the details around the file sizes it generates. Since nothing in Canon's line-up does 4K with modern formats, I'm having a really hard time justifying the price difference. My 6D has been a good workhorse. The mk2 seems to address most of its annoying shortcomings.

Just curious, what are the annoying shortcomings you speak of that have been fixed? I shot with a 6D for a long time and loved it other than it being a bit slow and no flip out screen.

I bought a 6D Mark II when they were first announced, in spite of the criticisms over the dynamic range. I took it out and played with it for a while, then I returned it. I actually didn't take one photo with it. My problem is that I have small hands, and carrying these big DSLRs around anymore just seems like a big hassle after having a mirrorless M5 (which also has its drawbacks, mostly in the focusing department). I've read so many good reviews about the 6DM2 since then that I half wished I'd kept it, but I think I'll wait for a Canon mirrorless full-frame, though it may be a while (I have enough Canon glass that I don't want to switch). I also have a 7D Mark II, which I use for wildlife, but it goes well with a tripod and butt-birding (shooting from the car window), so I don't notice the size as much. The M5 has the flip screen, and if the 6DM2 is anything like it, it's very durable and really nice to have.

I primarily shoot on a 6D, was eagerly awaiting the mkII and was sorely disappointed by the specs. Where the original seemed to cater to landscape shooters who wanted a full frame sensor, the mkII seems to be an 80D with a full frame sensor.

Which is fine, if that’s what you want.

But to your question on build quality and durabilty: the flip-out screens seem to be just as resilient in my estimation. The concavity where the screen sits when retracted can collect water when it rains/snows, so be aware of that. I usually keep the floppy screen on my 80D tucked face-in, unless I’m shooting video. On the 6D I simply slapped an invisibleshield on the screen and forgot about it.

Just curious, what are the annoying shortcomings you speak of that have been fixed? I shot with a 6D for a long time and loved it other than it being a bit slow and no flip out screen.

Better af with more and more capable focus points so not forced to focus/recompose constantly, built-in intervalometer for time lapse, and ability to auto-focus while shooting video. That last one was a big disappointment to find missing when I bought the 6D. Also the weather sealing.

I usually keep the floppy screen on my 80D tucked face-in, unless I’m shooting video. On the 6D I simply slapped an invisibleshield on the screen and forgot about it.

I was wondering if you can store the screen face in on the 6?