Can you believe you eyes?

balzaccom

We were stunned to see this particular RV in a Page, Arizona campground, overlooking the red sandstone and sky blue waters of Lake Powell. Yes, this is a camper who has rigged a video projector to his RV so that he and his kids can watch movies instead of look at the stars. Which makes you wonder why they don't just stay home and do the same thing. Amazing.

Kinda sad when people forget the point of getting outside... to get AWAY from technology.

Whatever it takes to get the kids to agree to a trip and have fun on it is awesome as far as I'm concerned. And not just kids-- one time I was ribbing a friend for writing a grant proposal while we sat around the fire late at night and he said "it's either this or I wouldn't be out here at all."

I'm mostly offended by the fact that they didn't put up a screen, or at least a white sheet. Those windows messing up the picture are no bueno.

But seriously, I would be offended if they had this playing so that everyone in the CG could hear it. Headphones or keep it in your trailer, IMO. But on the other hand, it's a campground. What do you expect?

Maybe they did many hours of star gazing over their trip and were simply doing something different for a few hours…

I quit wondering why people do the things they do a long time ago. It may not be what you are doing with every second of your existence out there but really, what difference does it make.

There is a great scene in the movie A Boy and his Dog where they decide to go to a movie in the middle of the desert, bedsheet for a screen if I recall. It was a barter society and Vic, a young Don Johnson, offered a can of beets but the movie projectionist could not read so Vic told him it was peaches. Blood, his telepathic dog, refused to help with a certain plan that Vic had unless he bought popcorn, Blood’s favorite. That turned out to be one of the great eating scenes in movies. Perhaps we can fault them for not constantly star gazing if we are feeling the need for some righteous indignation flowed by the usual sanctimonious bs…

Oh, and as to my own preferences, the first site I click on every day is APOD, astronomy picture of the day. Star gazing in good dark skies is a sort of religious/scientific type experience but I also read a lot of books out there at night…gasp!

We camp far away from trails so no noisy campgrounds for us, ever.

There is a great scene in the movie A Boy and his Dog where they decide to go to a movie in the middle of the desert, bedsheet for a screen if I recall. It was a barter society and Vic, a young Don Johnson, offered a can of beets but the movie projectionist could not read so Vic told him it was peaches. Blood, his telepathic dog, refused to help with a certain plan that Vic had unless he bought popcorn, Blood’s favorite. That turned out to be one of the great eating scenes in movies. Perhaps we can fault them for not constantly star gazing if we are feeling the need for some righteous indignation flowed by the usual sanctimonious bs…

Pretty sure that wasn't the best "eating scene" in _A Boy and His Dog_.

And Reg, the funny thing is, that ending sunset scene in the movie was not even in Harlan Ellison’s short story that inspired the film. He actually hated the inclusion. Burp indeed…

True true... different methods for everyone. Guess it can be easy to get judgmental. Reading some responses here does make me see that. I do know when I am in a campground, I would not expect to have total silence, everyone doing it like I do, etc. Maybe I should say perhaps I am a little surprised... never thought of projecting a movie on an RV :roflmao::roflmao:. If it got the kids out in nature... then I can see it being a win for mom and dad.

I have been known to watch a movie or two while backpacking. I am also willing to do it when I am out with my kids.

Honestly to put it into perspective a little bit, one of my fondest memories I have with my dad was when I was in my early twenties and we went car camping down around Canyonlands. It was just us for a few nights and he pulled out the portable DVD player and we watched Wrath of Khan under the starry desert sky into the late hours of the night. I LOVE that memory and wouldn't give it up for anything. That is now one of my favorite movies and that memory with him will stick with me long after he is gone.

Reactions: Ben
What i'd expect in a campground these days. In the backcountry, now that's another story!

I admit to hosting indie film pop-up theater nights in the middle of the desert when I lived in Bishop (no generator). Not something I would do in a campground though.