Camping with a double high air mattress?

Parma

@parma26
So...for Christmas we got one of those double high air mattresses, it has a built in pump. We've used it for visiting family/guests in our house. I'm thinking of using it camping in a couple weeks in San Rafael Swell and Maze/Dollhouse.
Have any of you used one of these beefy air mattresses in temps that get down in the 30s?
If so, how did it go? Did you get too cold? Or did you lose a bunch of air overnight?
The sleeping bags we use are those 0 degree Teton Sports rectangle bags.

Inquiring minds want to know!!

So...for Christmas we got one of those double high air mattresses, it has a built in pump. We've used it for visiting family/guests in our house. I'm thinking of using it camping in a couple weeks in San Rafael Swell and Maze/Dollhouse.
Have any of you used one of these beefy air mattresses in temps that get down in the 30s?
If so, how did it go? Did you get too cold? Or did you lose a bunch of air overnight?
The sleeping bags we use are those 0 degree Teton Sports rectangle bags.

Inquiring minds want to know!!

In December we met a guy from Montana ( who by the way made the best Fajitas ever). He slept on a regular air mattress around 35-40F at night. He was cold (from the top, not from below he said), he was about 230-250lbs. He had an old zero degree bag with a bad zipper. After we chatted he bought a thick $25 fleece blanket to place on top of his sleeping bag and then he was fine. When temperatures dropped further (30-25F), he got cold from below, but then he started using a reflective car window silver mat on top of his regular air mattress to “simulate” the reflective Thermorest silver foam mattress (R value 2) that we recommended. So if you already have the old style foam mattresses maybe bring those too.

We use the Xtherm, best upgrade we ever did (20-25% off during holiday sales), the price tag was still steep.
No regrets. Love it.

if I was in a zero bag and lows were in the 30s, I'd not worry at all about the R value of my sleeping pad! but as @Titans suggests, if you're car camping then there's no problem bringing a few extras as insurance. we have some random puffy blankets that are cheap at places like costco that we bring along for sitting around the fire, extra insulation at night, etc.

Back