Cairns

Ha! The unneeded cairn building really is getting out of hand. Maybe we need a disclaimer to go with our logo. Don't build 'em!!

I sure like them when they actually show the way to go!!

I have been known as the "Destroyer" most cairns bow down before me...... :eek:

I've kicked down my fair share of cairns, but there is a very happy middle ground. Take a route like the exit from Misery Canyon. The first time I did it, there were cairns and it was pretty easy to find the most direct route. Next time someone had wiped them all out and in their place a new network of social trails popped up all over the place. It was tough to find the right way out and the landscape paid the price as various groups trampled through areas that didn't need a new trail. Cairns have their purpose and if you're kicking down legitimate needed navigational cairns then you're potentially doing more harm than good. Cairn 'art' and pointless cairns are the ones I think should go.

FYI...this one I'm kicking down was at Arches by the Balanced Rock. If you get lost walking around that...then you deserve to be lost.

I like the ones people put up where you have a worn trail 6 inches deep ....... or you are in a wash with steep canyon sides ......duh

Hmm........for whatever reason they never bothered me....well, unless they lead me astray :) and I am way too lazy to have ever made one. But... I never knew that they bothered anyone. C'est la vie I guess, though surprisingly this is starting to sound reminiscent of the hate/love canyon bolt thing.

Rawwrrr bolts! Haha. Don't get me started on that.

Hmm........for whatever reason they never bothered me....well, unless they lead me astray

Yeah, don't get me wrong, they haven't bothered me much either. I think the problem is just with the recent rampant cairn building just for the hell of it. Like in The Joint trail or along other busy trails. Part of me thinks it's interesting but then part of me says that it's no different than graffiti. I don't think there's much of a problem when it comes to random cairns getting built and leading people astray. I do think there have been some problems with anti-cairn folks knocking down cairns that are legit and needed. But at the same time, I've hiked quite a few obscure routes and it definitely crossed my mind how cool it was that we never saw a single cairn. It just depends on the situation, but I think it's almost always a good idea to limit it to where they are truly needed to protect the land and keep people out of danger. Many of the Maze descent routes come to mind.

Back