- Joined
- Dec 23, 2013
- Messages
- 4,628
A day after @TractorDoc and I completed the Mary Mountain Trail, we were off for a five day backpacking trip up the Cache Creek drainage in Yellowstone. Cache Creek is located in the northeastern part of the Park and flows into the Lamar River just before the river enters the wildlife rich Lamar Valley. We began our trek at the Soda Butte Trailhead and ended at the Thunderer Trailhead for a total of just under thirty miles.
Along our way, we would check out Wahb Springs, Death Gulch, summit The Needle, and fall short of reaching Republic Pass.
This would rank as either the best or second best wildlife encounter trip that I have been on. We were able to see antelope, bison, moose, elk, deer, bighorn sheep, and mountain goats. Bull elk were constantly bugling both night and day as we made our way up the creek. We hiked in the pouring rain all day on day number four and we had a nervous encounter with a lone bull bison at campsite 3C4 that same evening.

Trip overview map
Day 1 - Soda Butte Trailhead to Campsite 3L1

Day 1 overview map
Day one was special because @Pringles and @KJR joined us at 3L1 for our fist night. They both would continue on their own trip up the Lamar the following day.
I was glad that our first day was a short one because I was still tired/sore from our Mary Mountain hike the day before. I slept in a bit at the cabin at the Old Faithful Lodge, and then we headed over to the historic inn for breakfast before packing up and heading over to Hayden Valley to pick up the Subaru. Once we retrieved the Sube, we then drove to the Thunderer trailhead to drop of my car, and then took Dave's rental to the Soda Butte Trailhead.
Once we had our gear all ready to go, we headed out through the eastern end of the Lamar Valley. It wasn't long before we spotted an antelope that was laying down in the afternoon sunshine, taking in all the day hikers and backpackers that were passing by. After the antelope, we passed by some groups of bison before we dropped down to Cache Creek and on to 3L1.

Waiting at the Old Faithful Inn for our breakfast. They were short staffed you know.
Who's that handsome guy on my left? 

This should get me to 3L1

Geared up and ready to rumble at the Soda Butte Trailhead

Soda Butte Creek

@TractorDoc capturing the moment in Lamar Valley.

Antelope along our way

Dave on trail

Bison to the west

I liked this shot with the sun on the hill and the dark clouds in the sky

Dropping down to Cache Creek

Our campsite for the night

@KJR , @Pringles and @TractorDoc at camp

Our tent setup at 3L1


Some fall colors near camp

After dinner, a moose came down off the hill and crossed Cache Creek

Then a bull bison came from the other direction and there was a stare down
Day 2 - Campsite 3L1 to Campsite 3C3

Day 2 overview map
Day two would take us up Cache Creek to campsite 3C3. Along the way we stopped at Wahb Springs to explore and then on to Death Gulch. Kevin joined us to the thermal features before heading back to camp to start his trip with Beth.

Bison stampede to start the day

We did a little shortcut from camp to access the main trail and found this elk leg along our route

And this

Harebell

View from the trail to the north

Arriving at Wahb Springs

Kevin, showing us how real mean cross a creek. I threw rocks to make stepping stones for myself.

Snake at Wahb

Bear tracks on our way to Death Gulch

Death Gulch

Shrubby cinquefoil

View up Cache Creek

Cache Creek

View up creek with The Needle in the far distance

Fireweed showing off its color

Aster

Cache Creek

How'd he get behind me? Dave on the Cache Creek Trail

Daiseys

Trail climbing up above the valley at this point

View up the valley

Passing by 3C2

I absolutely loved the tall, golden grass along the trail

Old "I" blaze that the Park Service used to use to mark the trails in Yellowstone

Bison poses before the Thunderer

Lots of lone bulls up Cache Creek

Made it to 3C3

Circus Peanuts! Thanks to Kevin.

Tent setup at 3C3

Part of the Thunderer - view from camp

Olympus Tough TG-6
Day 3 - Campsite 3C3 to the summit of The Needle

Day 3 overview map
We stayed at 3C3 for two nights, so on our free day we summited The Needle. This off-trail hike started out steep, not until we gained the ridge did it let up much. On our way up we ran into a herd of elk before continuing on to the summit

Kodiak oatmeal for breakfast at 3C3. 40 grams of protein might just get me to the summit.

Dave had to wait for me a lot on this one.
Did I mention that it was steep?

Views starting to Open up with the Thunderer and the ridgeline to Cache Mountain visible

Still steep, but we got some thimbleberry relief.

A small break in the steepness. It didn't last.

View down to the Cache Mountain ridgeline and Amphitheater Mountain beyond

View down Cache Creek drainage with the Mirror Plateau in the distance

Sat down for a snack and guess who came to visit

Dave was busy playing around in the trees.

Then a second bull came by

Bull elk #2

Of course, Dave was still playing around in the trees.

Then it was onward and upward to the summit

Chipmunk sighting

Ampitheater Mountain

More elk on the ridge

The summit of The Needle above

Back to being steep

@TractorDoc on the summit

View from Mount Norris to the Thunderer

A look over to Cache Mountain and beyond

Zoomed in view from the summit

Summit shot

Time to head back to camp

My knees hated this descent.

Near where we saw the bull elks

Looking back up at The Needle on our way down

A good chunk of petrified log buried in the hill

Anytime one summits The Needle a good Scotch Ale is in order. Bottoms up! Relieved that I survived.

@TractorDoc is getting adventurous on his meal choices.

Sunset at 3C3
Day 4 - Campsite 3C3 to Campsite 3C4

Day 4 overview map
Day four turned out to be a wet one. It hadn't started raining as we ate breakfast and packed our gear up to head out to 3C4, but once we climbed up the hill to the main trail, it let loose and didn't stop until late in the afternoon. I had made the ill-timed decision to wear my kilt which made for a chilly day. Oops! Initially, we had hoped to day hike up to Republic Pass after setting up camp at 3C4, but the weather kept us/me from attempting it. Dave could have made it, but I was pretty tired after our Needle hike the day before.
I had to pack my good camera away for most of the day and used the TG-6 instead as it is waterproof.

Oh how I wish that it would rain. Let it rain! Back on the main trail, heading up creek.

Fall colors along the trail. Did I mention that it was raining?
I just wish it would rain (oh, how I wish that it would rain)
Oh, let it rain, rain, rain, rain (oh, how I wish that it would rain)
Ooh, baby, let it rain (rain, rain)
Oh yeah, let it rain
- Temptations

Bighorn Sheep on the hill opposite us

Me thinks that Dave got a better shot than I did, so you'll have to wait for his report.

Chaw Pass is tomorrow's chore.

Bull bison down below near the creek

Dave, approaching the Cache Creek Patrol Cabin while the bison gives him the eye

What does not belong? Hmm . . . . . . . . . . . . Finally got to use the big camera while we escaped the rain on the front porch of the
cabin.

He's ignoring us now

46 degrees and a wet kilt makes for chilly hiking.

Poured even more after we left the cabin. That Cajun meal that Dave ate the night before must be fueling him onward.

Arriving at our campsite post with the three stooges on guard. I walked right through them as I chose a good goring over
hypothermia. Have I mentioned that it was raining? Could use and umbrella about now @Rockskipper .

Yep, our campsite is down the hill Mo. Or is that Larry or Curley?

Of course they moved the site 100 yards up creek. .
We huddled in some pine trees for a while until the rain let up and then we hurried to set up our tents before all hell broke loose again.

Our tent setup at 3C4 - pretty exposed.

Someone left a bison skull on a burnt stump/tree

Then after dinner we had a visitor to camp. One of the stooges perhaps? I think not.

He slowly made his way down the hill, grazing as he moved closer

Then something possessed him, he started jumping and kicking, carrying on in a not so civil manner.

I'm standing at our tents at this point as he made his way over to wallow to continue the craziness.

At the wallow now after an impressive wallow. He might be sniffing the air for the Scatman himself.

Can you see the steam coming off of him. He had worked himself into quite a lather at this point as he works his way towards our
tents.

Too close for comfort as I retreat to the stump/tree with the bison skull on it. Please don't destroy our tents!

He then made his way over to us - Dave at the bear box and me at the skull tree

That's him behind the small stand of pines. He then stepped over the two logs on the left side of the pines and came towards me.
I headed towards Dave and the bear box. As soon as I moved, he went berserk again jumping and kicking and grunting all the while.
We had to circle the bear box to get away. Dave got some good footage of the whole encounter with his GoPro, but once again,
you'll have to wait for his report to get a sense of the tension.

More aggressive displays


Another wallow for good measure and then he wandered off up Cache Creek.
Kind of difficult to go to sleep after that encounter.
Day 5 - Campsite 3C4 to the Thunderer Trailhead

Day 5 overview map
It rained through the night but fortunately for us it stopped just before we got up. After breakfast, we backtracked to the Cache Creek Patrol Cabin and then on to the intersection with the Thunderer Cutoff Trail. It was then up and over Chaw Pass and then dropping down to the trailhead.

Now if this doesn't get me up to the pass, nothing will. It was the first time that I had tried this and I liked it.

Time to pack up and head out

The outhouse at the Cache Creek Patrol Cabin

Somewhere down there we head up and over

The stooges were still around along the main trail

Geraniums

Back at the trail intersection

Love the red geranium leaves in the fall

Thimbleberry! Helped me make it to the pass.

Typical of the trail up to the pass

@TractorDoc making his way up to Chaw Pass

Believe it or not, there are some mountain goats up on the Thunderer. Look for white dots.

And of course, I saved my last Turkish fig for Chaw Pass

Coming down the north slope of the ridge off the pass was quite a different environment

Old "I" blaze

Moose track on the trail.

The Thunderer Cutoff Trail

Out into some meadows with the Thunderer behind

Time to ford Soda Butte Creek

Back at the Sube. Looks lonely.

Info sign at the trailhead

Some friends were present when we got back to the Soda Butte Trailhead to get Dave's vehicle

Shot of the Wellsville Range on my way back to Salt Lake.
What a great trip. Anytime I get to see wildlife makes for a good time in my book. Thanks Dave for heading up Cache Creek with me. You're going to have a hard time beating this trip next year.
The End.
Along our way, we would check out Wahb Springs, Death Gulch, summit The Needle, and fall short of reaching Republic Pass.
This would rank as either the best or second best wildlife encounter trip that I have been on. We were able to see antelope, bison, moose, elk, deer, bighorn sheep, and mountain goats. Bull elk were constantly bugling both night and day as we made our way up the creek. We hiked in the pouring rain all day on day number four and we had a nervous encounter with a lone bull bison at campsite 3C4 that same evening.

Trip overview map
Day 1 - Soda Butte Trailhead to Campsite 3L1

Day 1 overview map
Day one was special because @Pringles and @KJR joined us at 3L1 for our fist night. They both would continue on their own trip up the Lamar the following day.
I was glad that our first day was a short one because I was still tired/sore from our Mary Mountain hike the day before. I slept in a bit at the cabin at the Old Faithful Lodge, and then we headed over to the historic inn for breakfast before packing up and heading over to Hayden Valley to pick up the Subaru. Once we retrieved the Sube, we then drove to the Thunderer trailhead to drop of my car, and then took Dave's rental to the Soda Butte Trailhead.
Once we had our gear all ready to go, we headed out through the eastern end of the Lamar Valley. It wasn't long before we spotted an antelope that was laying down in the afternoon sunshine, taking in all the day hikers and backpackers that were passing by. After the antelope, we passed by some groups of bison before we dropped down to Cache Creek and on to 3L1.

Waiting at the Old Faithful Inn for our breakfast. They were short staffed you know.

This should get me to 3L1

Geared up and ready to rumble at the Soda Butte Trailhead

Soda Butte Creek

@TractorDoc capturing the moment in Lamar Valley.

Antelope along our way

Dave on trail

Bison to the west

I liked this shot with the sun on the hill and the dark clouds in the sky

Dropping down to Cache Creek

Our campsite for the night

@KJR , @Pringles and @TractorDoc at camp

Our tent setup at 3L1


Some fall colors near camp

After dinner, a moose came down off the hill and crossed Cache Creek

Then a bull bison came from the other direction and there was a stare down
Day 2 - Campsite 3L1 to Campsite 3C3

Day 2 overview map
Day two would take us up Cache Creek to campsite 3C3. Along the way we stopped at Wahb Springs to explore and then on to Death Gulch. Kevin joined us to the thermal features before heading back to camp to start his trip with Beth.

Bison stampede to start the day

We did a little shortcut from camp to access the main trail and found this elk leg along our route

And this

Harebell

View from the trail to the north

Arriving at Wahb Springs

Kevin, showing us how real mean cross a creek. I threw rocks to make stepping stones for myself.

Snake at Wahb

Bear tracks on our way to Death Gulch

Death Gulch

Shrubby cinquefoil

View up Cache Creek

Cache Creek

View up creek with The Needle in the far distance

Fireweed showing off its color

Aster

Cache Creek

How'd he get behind me? Dave on the Cache Creek Trail

Daiseys

Trail climbing up above the valley at this point

View up the valley

Passing by 3C2

I absolutely loved the tall, golden grass along the trail

Old "I" blaze that the Park Service used to use to mark the trails in Yellowstone

Bison poses before the Thunderer

Lots of lone bulls up Cache Creek

Made it to 3C3

Circus Peanuts! Thanks to Kevin.

Tent setup at 3C3

Part of the Thunderer - view from camp

Olympus Tough TG-6
Day 3 - Campsite 3C3 to the summit of The Needle

Day 3 overview map
We stayed at 3C3 for two nights, so on our free day we summited The Needle. This off-trail hike started out steep, not until we gained the ridge did it let up much. On our way up we ran into a herd of elk before continuing on to the summit

Kodiak oatmeal for breakfast at 3C3. 40 grams of protein might just get me to the summit.

Dave had to wait for me a lot on this one.
Did I mention that it was steep?
Views starting to Open up with the Thunderer and the ridgeline to Cache Mountain visible

Still steep, but we got some thimbleberry relief.

A small break in the steepness. It didn't last.

View down to the Cache Mountain ridgeline and Amphitheater Mountain beyond

View down Cache Creek drainage with the Mirror Plateau in the distance

Sat down for a snack and guess who came to visit

Dave was busy playing around in the trees.

Then a second bull came by

Bull elk #2

Of course, Dave was still playing around in the trees.

Then it was onward and upward to the summit

Chipmunk sighting

Ampitheater Mountain

More elk on the ridge

The summit of The Needle above

Back to being steep

@TractorDoc on the summit

View from Mount Norris to the Thunderer

A look over to Cache Mountain and beyond

Zoomed in view from the summit

Summit shot

Time to head back to camp

My knees hated this descent.

Near where we saw the bull elks

Looking back up at The Needle on our way down

A good chunk of petrified log buried in the hill

Anytime one summits The Needle a good Scotch Ale is in order. Bottoms up! Relieved that I survived.

@TractorDoc is getting adventurous on his meal choices.

Sunset at 3C3
Day 4 - Campsite 3C3 to Campsite 3C4

Day 4 overview map
Day four turned out to be a wet one. It hadn't started raining as we ate breakfast and packed our gear up to head out to 3C4, but once we climbed up the hill to the main trail, it let loose and didn't stop until late in the afternoon. I had made the ill-timed decision to wear my kilt which made for a chilly day. Oops! Initially, we had hoped to day hike up to Republic Pass after setting up camp at 3C4, but the weather kept us/me from attempting it. Dave could have made it, but I was pretty tired after our Needle hike the day before.
I had to pack my good camera away for most of the day and used the TG-6 instead as it is waterproof.

Oh how I wish that it would rain. Let it rain! Back on the main trail, heading up creek.

Fall colors along the trail. Did I mention that it was raining?
I just wish it would rain (oh, how I wish that it would rain)
Oh, let it rain, rain, rain, rain (oh, how I wish that it would rain)
Ooh, baby, let it rain (rain, rain)
Oh yeah, let it rain
- Temptations

Bighorn Sheep on the hill opposite us

Me thinks that Dave got a better shot than I did, so you'll have to wait for his report.

Chaw Pass is tomorrow's chore.

Bull bison down below near the creek

Dave, approaching the Cache Creek Patrol Cabin while the bison gives him the eye

What does not belong? Hmm . . . . . . . . . . . . Finally got to use the big camera while we escaped the rain on the front porch of the
cabin.

He's ignoring us now

46 degrees and a wet kilt makes for chilly hiking.


Poured even more after we left the cabin. That Cajun meal that Dave ate the night before must be fueling him onward.

Arriving at our campsite post with the three stooges on guard. I walked right through them as I chose a good goring over
hypothermia. Have I mentioned that it was raining? Could use and umbrella about now @Rockskipper .

Yep, our campsite is down the hill Mo. Or is that Larry or Curley?

Of course they moved the site 100 yards up creek. .

We huddled in some pine trees for a while until the rain let up and then we hurried to set up our tents before all hell broke loose again.

Our tent setup at 3C4 - pretty exposed.

Someone left a bison skull on a burnt stump/tree

Then after dinner we had a visitor to camp. One of the stooges perhaps? I think not.

He slowly made his way down the hill, grazing as he moved closer

Then something possessed him, he started jumping and kicking, carrying on in a not so civil manner.

I'm standing at our tents at this point as he made his way over to wallow to continue the craziness.

At the wallow now after an impressive wallow. He might be sniffing the air for the Scatman himself.

Can you see the steam coming off of him. He had worked himself into quite a lather at this point as he works his way towards our
tents.

Too close for comfort as I retreat to the stump/tree with the bison skull on it. Please don't destroy our tents!

He then made his way over to us - Dave at the bear box and me at the skull tree

That's him behind the small stand of pines. He then stepped over the two logs on the left side of the pines and came towards me.
I headed towards Dave and the bear box. As soon as I moved, he went berserk again jumping and kicking and grunting all the while.
We had to circle the bear box to get away. Dave got some good footage of the whole encounter with his GoPro, but once again,
you'll have to wait for his report to get a sense of the tension.

More aggressive displays


Another wallow for good measure and then he wandered off up Cache Creek.
Kind of difficult to go to sleep after that encounter.
Day 5 - Campsite 3C4 to the Thunderer Trailhead

Day 5 overview map
It rained through the night but fortunately for us it stopped just before we got up. After breakfast, we backtracked to the Cache Creek Patrol Cabin and then on to the intersection with the Thunderer Cutoff Trail. It was then up and over Chaw Pass and then dropping down to the trailhead.

Now if this doesn't get me up to the pass, nothing will. It was the first time that I had tried this and I liked it.

Time to pack up and head out

The outhouse at the Cache Creek Patrol Cabin

Somewhere down there we head up and over

The stooges were still around along the main trail

Geraniums

Back at the trail intersection

Love the red geranium leaves in the fall

Thimbleberry! Helped me make it to the pass.

Typical of the trail up to the pass

@TractorDoc making his way up to Chaw Pass

Believe it or not, there are some mountain goats up on the Thunderer. Look for white dots.

And of course, I saved my last Turkish fig for Chaw Pass

Coming down the north slope of the ridge off the pass was quite a different environment

Old "I" blaze

Moose track on the trail.

The Thunderer Cutoff Trail

Out into some meadows with the Thunderer behind

Time to ford Soda Butte Creek

Back at the Sube. Looks lonely.

Info sign at the trailhead

Some friends were present when we got back to the Soda Butte Trailhead to get Dave's vehicle

Shot of the Wellsville Range on my way back to Salt Lake.
What a great trip. Anytime I get to see wildlife makes for a good time in my book. Thanks Dave for heading up Cache Creek with me. You're going to have a hard time beating this trip next year.
The End.
Last edited: