Cache Creek, Yellowstone National Park - September 14, 2026

scatman

Member
.
Joined
Dec 23, 2013
Messages
4,628
A day after @TractorDoc and I completed the Mary Mountain Trail, we were off for a five day backpacking trip up the Cache Creek drainage in Yellowstone. Cache Creek is located in the northeastern part of the Park and flows into the Lamar River just before the river enters the wildlife rich Lamar Valley. We began our trek at the Soda Butte Trailhead and ended at the Thunderer Trailhead for a total of just under thirty miles.

Along our way, we would check out Wahb Springs, Death Gulch, summit The Needle, and fall short of reaching Republic Pass.

This would rank as either the best or second best wildlife encounter trip that I have been on. We were able to see antelope, bison, moose, elk, deer, bighorn sheep, and mountain goats. Bull elk were constantly bugling both night and day as we made our way up the creek. We hiked in the pouring rain all day on day number four and we had a nervous encounter with a lone bull bison at campsite 3C4 that same evening.

Cache_Creek_Trip_Overview_Final.jpg
Trip overview map


Day 1 - Soda Butte Trailhead to Campsite 3L1


Cache_Creek_Trip_Day_01.jpg
Day 1 overview map


Day one was special because @Pringles and @KJR joined us at 3L1 for our fist night. They both would continue on their own trip up the Lamar the following day.

I was glad that our first day was a short one because I was still tired/sore from our Mary Mountain hike the day before. I slept in a bit at the cabin at the Old Faithful Lodge, and then we headed over to the historic inn for breakfast before packing up and heading over to Hayden Valley to pick up the Subaru. Once we retrieved the Sube, we then drove to the Thunderer trailhead to drop of my car, and then took Dave's rental to the Soda Butte Trailhead.

Once we had our gear all ready to go, we headed out through the eastern end of the Lamar Valley. It wasn't long before we spotted an antelope that was laying down in the afternoon sunshine, taking in all the day hikers and backpackers that were passing by. After the antelope, we passed by some groups of bison before we dropped down to Cache Creek and on to 3L1.


05.jpg
Waiting at the Old Faithful Inn for our breakfast. They were short staffed you know. :) Who's that handsome guy on my left? :thinking:

06.jpg
This should get me to 3L1

07.jpg
Geared up and ready to rumble at the Soda Butte Trailhead

08.jpg
Soda Butte Creek

09.jpg
@TractorDoc capturing the moment in Lamar Valley.

10.jpg
Antelope along our way

11.jpg
Dave on trail

12.jpg
Bison to the west

13.jpg
I liked this shot with the sun on the hill and the dark clouds in the sky

14.jpg
Dropping down to Cache Creek

15.jpg
Our campsite for the night

19.jpg
@KJR , @Pringles and @TractorDoc at camp

18.jpg
Our tent setup at 3L1

17.jpg
17b.jpg
Some fall colors near camp

20.jpg
After dinner, a moose came down off the hill and crossed Cache Creek

21.jpg
Then a bull bison came from the other direction and there was a stare down



Day 2 - Campsite 3L1 to Campsite 3C3


Cache_Creek_Trip_Day_02.jpg
Day 2 overview map

Day two would take us up Cache Creek to campsite 3C3. Along the way we stopped at Wahb Springs to explore and then on to Death Gulch. Kevin joined us to the thermal features before heading back to camp to start his trip with Beth.


22.jpg
Bison stampede to start the day

16.jpg
We did a little shortcut from camp to access the main trail and found this elk leg along our route

23.jpg
And this

24.jpg
Harebell

25.jpg
View from the trail to the north

26.jpg
Arriving at Wahb Springs

27.jpg
Kevin, showing us how real mean cross a creek. I threw rocks to make stepping stones for myself. :)

28.jpg
Snake at Wahb

29.jpg
Bear tracks on our way to Death Gulch

30.jpg
Death Gulch

31.jpg
Shrubby cinquefoil

32.jpg
View up Cache Creek

33.jpg
Cache Creek

34.jpg
View up creek with The Needle in the far distance

35.jpg
Fireweed showing off its color

36.jpg
Aster

37.jpg
Cache Creek

38.jpg
How'd he get behind me? Dave on the Cache Creek Trail

39.jpg
Daiseys

40.jpg
Trail climbing up above the valley at this point

41.jpg
View up the valley

42.jpg
Passing by 3C2

43.jpg
I absolutely loved the tall, golden grass along the trail

44.jpg
Old "I" blaze that the Park Service used to use to mark the trails in Yellowstone

45.jpg
Bison poses before the Thunderer

46.jpg
Lots of lone bulls up Cache Creek

47.jpg
Made it to 3C3

48.jpg
Circus Peanuts! Thanks to Kevin.

49.jpg
Tent setup at 3C3

50.jpg
Part of the Thunderer - view from camp

51.jpg
Olympus Tough TG-6



Day 3 - Campsite 3C3 to the summit of The Needle


Cache_Creek_Trip_Day_03.jpg
Day 3 overview map

We stayed at 3C3 for two nights, so on our free day we summited The Needle. This off-trail hike started out steep, not until we gained the ridge did it let up much. On our way up we ran into a herd of elk before continuing on to the summit

52.jpg
Kodiak oatmeal for breakfast at 3C3. 40 grams of protein might just get me to the summit.

53.jpg
Dave had to wait for me a lot on this one. :moses: Did I mention that it was steep?

54.jpg
Views starting to Open up with the Thunderer and the ridgeline to Cache Mountain visible

55.jpg
Still steep, but we got some thimbleberry relief. :thumbsup:

56.jpg
A small break in the steepness. It didn't last.

57.jpg
View down to the Cache Mountain ridgeline and Amphitheater Mountain beyond

58.jpg
View down Cache Creek drainage with the Mirror Plateau in the distance

59.jpg
Sat down for a snack and guess who came to visit

60.jpg
Dave was busy playing around in the trees. :D

61.jpg
Then a second bull came by

62.jpg
Bull elk #2

63.jpg
Of course, Dave was still playing around in the trees.

64.jpg
Then it was onward and upward to the summit

65.jpg
Chipmunk sighting

66.jpg
Ampitheater Mountain

67.jpg
More elk on the ridge

68.jpg
The summit of The Needle above

69.jpg
Back to being steep

70.jpg
@TractorDoc on the summit

71.jpg
View from Mount Norris to the Thunderer

72.jpg
A look over to Cache Mountain and beyond

73.jpg
Zoomed in view from the summit

74.jpg
Summit shot

75.jpg
Time to head back to camp

76.jpg
My knees hated this descent.

77.jpg
Near where we saw the bull elks

78.jpg
Looking back up at The Needle on our way down

79.jpg
A good chunk of petrified log buried in the hill

80.jpg
Anytime one summits The Needle a good Scotch Ale is in order. Bottoms up! Relieved that I survived.

81.jpg
@TractorDoc is getting adventurous on his meal choices.

82.jpg
Sunset at 3C3


Day 4 - Campsite 3C3 to Campsite 3C4


Cache_Creek_Trip_Day_04.jpg
Day 4 overview map

Day four turned out to be a wet one. It hadn't started raining as we ate breakfast and packed our gear up to head out to 3C4, but once we climbed up the hill to the main trail, it let loose and didn't stop until late in the afternoon. I had made the ill-timed decision to wear my kilt which made for a chilly day. Oops! Initially, we had hoped to day hike up to Republic Pass after setting up camp at 3C4, but the weather kept us/me from attempting it. Dave could have made it, but I was pretty tired after our Needle hike the day before.

I had to pack my good camera away for most of the day and used the TG-6 instead as it is waterproof.

83.jpg
Oh how I wish that it would rain. Let it rain! Back on the main trail, heading up creek.

84.jpg
Fall colors along the trail. Did I mention that it was raining?

I just wish it would rain (oh, how I wish that it would rain)
Oh, let it rain, rain, rain, rain (oh, how I wish that it would rain)
Ooh, baby, let it rain (rain, rain)
Oh yeah, let it rain

- Temptations

85.jpg
Bighorn Sheep on the hill opposite us

86.jpg
Me thinks that Dave got a better shot than I did, so you'll have to wait for his report.

87.jpg
Chaw Pass is tomorrow's chore.

88.jpg
Bull bison down below near the creek

89.jpg
Dave, approaching the Cache Creek Patrol Cabin while the bison gives him the eye

90.jpg
What does not belong? Hmm . . . . . . . . . . . . Finally got to use the big camera while we escaped the rain on the front porch of the
cabin.

91.jpg
He's ignoring us now

92.jpg
46 degrees and a wet kilt makes for chilly hiking. :cold:

93.jpg
Poured even more after we left the cabin. That Cajun meal that Dave ate the night before must be fueling him onward. :)

94.jpg
Arriving at our campsite post with the three stooges on guard. I walked right through them as I chose a good goring over
hypothermia. Have I mentioned that it was raining? Could use and umbrella about now @Rockskipper .

95.jpg
Yep, our campsite is down the hill Mo. Or is that Larry or Curley?

96.jpg
Of course they moved the site 100 yards up creek. .:stomp:

We huddled in some pine trees for a while until the rain let up and then we hurried to set up our tents before all hell broke loose again.

97.jpg
Our tent setup at 3C4 - pretty exposed.

98.jpg
Someone left a bison skull on a burnt stump/tree

99.jpg
Then after dinner we had a visitor to camp. One of the stooges perhaps? I think not.

100.jpg
He slowly made his way down the hill, grazing as he moved closer

100b.jpg
Then something possessed him, he started jumping and kicking, carrying on in a not so civil manner.

101.jpg
I'm standing at our tents at this point as he made his way over to wallow to continue the craziness.

102.jpg
At the wallow now after an impressive wallow. He might be sniffing the air for the Scatman himself.

103.jpg
Can you see the steam coming off of him. He had worked himself into quite a lather at this point as he works his way towards our
tents.

104.jpg
Too close for comfort as I retreat to the stump/tree with the bison skull on it. Please don't destroy our tents!

105.jpg
He then made his way over to us - Dave at the bear box and me at the skull tree

106.jpg
That's him behind the small stand of pines. He then stepped over the two logs on the left side of the pines and came towards me.
I headed towards Dave and the bear box. As soon as I moved, he went berserk again jumping and kicking and grunting all the while.
We had to circle the bear box to get away. Dave got some good footage of the whole encounter with his GoPro, but once again,
you'll have to wait for his report to get a sense of the tension.

107.jpg
More aggressive displays

108.jpg
108b.jpg
Another wallow for good measure and then he wandered off up Cache Creek.

Kind of difficult to go to sleep after that encounter. :)


Day 5 - Campsite 3C4 to the Thunderer Trailhead


Cache_Creek_Trip_Day_05.jpg
Day 5 overview map

It rained through the night but fortunately for us it stopped just before we got up. After breakfast, we backtracked to the Cache Creek Patrol Cabin and then on to the intersection with the Thunderer Cutoff Trail. It was then up and over Chaw Pass and then dropping down to the trailhead.

109.jpg
Now if this doesn't get me up to the pass, nothing will. It was the first time that I had tried this and I liked it.

109b.jpg
Time to pack up and head out

110.jpg
The outhouse at the Cache Creek Patrol Cabin

111.jpg
Somewhere down there we head up and over

112.jpg
The stooges were still around along the main trail

113.jpg
Geraniums

114.jpg
Back at the trail intersection

115.jpg
Love the red geranium leaves in the fall

116.jpg
Thimbleberry! Helped me make it to the pass.

117.jpg
Typical of the trail up to the pass

118.jpg
@TractorDoc making his way up to Chaw Pass

119.jpg
Believe it or not, there are some mountain goats up on the Thunderer. Look for white dots. :)

120.jpg
And of course, I saved my last Turkish fig for Chaw Pass

121.jpg
Coming down the north slope of the ridge off the pass was quite a different environment

122.jpg
Old "I" blaze

123.jpg
Moose track on the trail.

124.jpg
The Thunderer Cutoff Trail

125.jpg
Out into some meadows with the Thunderer behind

126.jpg
Time to ford Soda Butte Creek

127.jpg
Back at the Sube. Looks lonely. :(

128.jpg
Info sign at the trailhead

129.jpg
Some friends were present when we got back to the Soda Butte Trailhead to get Dave's vehicle

130.jpg
Shot of the Wellsville Range on my way back to Salt Lake.

What a great trip. Anytime I get to see wildlife makes for a good time in my book. Thanks Dave for heading up Cache Creek with me. You're going to have a hard time beating this trip next year. :)



The End.
 
Last edited:
This trip - start to finish - was an excellent experience.

When Hugh picked Cache Creek as the backpacking destination for 2026 I did not know what to expect. . . this trip then set expectations that will be difficult to top/meet on future backpacking trips.

We met fellow BCPers ( @Pringles = :thumbsup: , @KJR = :thumbsup:), we visited a thermal area, we climbed to a high point, we had sun, we had rain, we had fall colors, we had excellent visibility, we saw/heard more wildlife that I'd ever previously seen/heard in the backcountry.

One of my favorite pictures from this trip is the one of Hugh took of me peeking around the tree at the bull elk. What he is too kind to tell you is that he was sitting out by a rock taking pictures of the first bull elk as it walked towards us. . . I tried hiding behind the tree and stepped on a crunchy root and startled the elk. I was a bit concerned about the bulls being in the rut, but Hugh had no fear and was out in the open waiting for his perfect shot. The elk probably would have walked right up to Hugh and he would have had a great picture of it's eyelashes had I not scared it. Or it would have gored him. Now we will never know. :)

Thank you again Hugh for tolerating me and allowing me to tag along. It is difficult to rank my Yellowstone backcountry trips because all of them are great, but this one definitely sits at/near the top. Hoping I can squeak another year or two out of you before you retire. . . we always have the option of Ice Lake. . . :D

Lastly, I know this is Hugh's thread, but I have not even started looking at most of my pictures to create a trip report. I did however put a little video together of the bison at camp 3C4 that I will attach a link to. Hugh captured some great images of him - better than what I did. . . but then again I was hiding behind the bear box most of the time. :lol:

 
Back
Top