BSA High Adventure 2015 - Day 2 - Kayaking the Green River

Blake Merrell

Life Elevated - Rising Higher
What a ride! I think this day was the deemed "the best" by most that participated in the week long camp. The float was fast, fun, and pretty wild at times!

Camping on the river was nice. Unlike the rest of our evenings, this night was super warm! Come morning, we were all ready for the water.

This was my first time ever floating in an inflatable kayak. Josh and I were the first to get in the water. we were told to lead the group and make sure that everything was safe. well... that lasted about 2 minutes and then we were out and about jumping peoples kayaks and making sure no one stayed dry. Bahahahaha! Later that evening, Josh and I were dubbed the "devil" as one of the kids gave a devotional thought about the need to stay in the boat in the middle of the river where the Gospel of Jesus Christ and the Church will safely carry you through this lifes crazy times - Just remember to be prepared for the devil. He is sneaky and will do all he can to dump you from the boat! ;)

Full TR can be found here

that's a HUGE group!
what permits did you need to get for that trip?

that's a HUGE group!
what permits did you need to get for that trip?
yeah! Tell me about it haha :)

I am not aware of private groups needing a permit for this section of river. Nothing I found suggested that we did, so we didn't pursue obtaining one. (not sure how official this is, but THIS document by DiscoverMoab.com suggests that no permits are required for this section of river.

Last edited:
Nice vid. It was pretty tame in the beginning and I was waiting to see you torment the kids... then the video delivered nicely :lol:

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Blake Merrell BSA High Adventure 2015 - Day 3 - Mountain Biking the laSal's Everything Else 8
TheMountainRabbit Dana Meadows to Twin Lakes via the High Route (Yosemite/Hoover Wilderness) - August 2023 Backpacking 8
meowtaingal Wind river high route mid september Trip Planning 7
Timber High Sierra - North Lake to South Lake Loop - Layover Day Trip Planning 9
Kullaberg63 Gore high traverse Backpacking 11
Parma Camping with a double high air mattress? General Discussion 2
travel2walk preventing high altitude (khumbu) cough techniques? Resource Discussions 2
NorthwestWanderer First time in the High Uintas | Red Castle SNEAK Loop | I give these mountains 5 out of 5 stars Backpacking 7
NorthwestWanderer 8 Day High Sierra trek : Humphreys Basin, Star Col, Granite Park, Lake Italy & Piute Canyon 6/25-7/2/22 Backpacking 7
TheMountainRabbit Red's Meadow to Tuolumne Meadows via the High Route (Ansel Adams/Yosemite Wilderness) - August 2022 Backpacking 5
Bob Teton Wilderness - 50 miles of High Country - Aug 2022 Backpacking 45
TrailScot "I'll take the High Road ..." - A Loop Hike around the Canyons of Needles - May 2022 Trip Reports 14
balzaccom My second mystery novel set in the High Sierra is now out! General Discussion 6
balzaccom Gibbs Lake, High Sierra Backpacking 2
fossana Palisades Roundabout (High Sierra) Backpacking 12
fossana Evolution Loop (High Sierra) Hiking & Camping 10
N Gilbert Meadows- High Uintas Trip Planning 0
norwegianxplorer Backpacking Norway, Lysefjorden/Kjerag/Kjerag Waterfall/Kjeragbolten, 4 days Solo Hiking high above the Norwegian Fjords Trip Reports 2
balzaccom Mystery set in the High Sierra General Discussion 4
WasatchWill The High Uintas 4-4-4: Four Basins, Four Passes, Four Days Backpacking 20
C High Uintas Wilderness - Last minute plans Trip Planning 4
Mountain Wanderer High Uintas Wilderness - Granddaddy Basin Backpacking 4
Tarp Boy High Sierra Camp Loop, Yosemite, CA Trip Reports 5
fossana A taste of the GR11: 6 Days on the Travesía Pirenaica (High Pyrenees, Spain) Backpacking 18
Born to Hike Mountain Solitude: Reconnaissance Lake, High Uintas, early Sept 2019 Backpacking 9
fossana Bear Lakes > Royce Lakes overnighter (High Sierra) Backpacking 12
DrNed Plan B to High Uintas Backpacking Trip Planning 20
Dave High Uinta sheep grazing EIS General Discussion 2
J Cali: Cinder Cones, High Sierra Rambles, Famous Domes Oct 26-31, 2018 Hiking & Camping 3
R Psuedoephedrine at high altitude General Discussion 6
fossana Pine Creek/Granite Park fall excursion (High Sierra) Hiking & Camping 14
David Rule High Peaks Wilderness-August 2018 Backpacking 1
Boognish Four days in the High Sierra Backpacking 10
Born to Hike Clements Lake and East Basin in the High Uintas, mid-July 2018 Backpacking 6
scatman High Sierra Trail Backpacking 23
D Wind River High Route Trip Planning 4
LarryBoy Absarokas Fun Route - 12 Days of High Adventure Backpacking 21
Ross High Spur and North Wash Canyoneering 5
westy High Uintas - West Basin Backpacking 0
George_Washington_Hayduke High Uintas: Allen Lake and Thunderstorms Backpacking 0
westy High Uintas - Henry's, Painter, Yellowstone, Smith's Backpacking 5
westy High Uintas - Middle Basin Backpacking 5
Luke High elevation uinta campgrounds/lakes General Discussion 9
S Central Utah high alpine suggestions Trip Planning 2
N Which High Uintas overnight hike? Trip Planning 2
mattvogt7 High Water Bruneau On The Water 8
Tim Valentine High Sierra Lakes Tour Backpacking 11
Perry Sierra Designs High Route 1FL Tent - Looks interesting Gear 6
S High alpine in central Utah Trip Planning 4
Devin Ashby Ostler Peak - Amethyst Basin - High Uinta Wilderness Backpacking 0