Broads Fork, Wasatch Mountains

lostlandscapes

rope mule
What has become something of a winter tradition of mine, drclef and I set off for Broads Fork last weekend. Mixed terrain, diverse geology, open vistas, and grand views of one of the Wasatch's most spectacular cirques makes this destination one of Northern Utah's best.

View larger map.
Approximately 1.5 miles into the 3 mile jaunt, the landscape transitions from thick, mixed conifer forest to open meadows of aspen and willow. Looking back to the north, that's Big Cottonwood Canyon with a Wildcat Ridge backdrop:

8455.jpg

The hike gets "real" within the last half mile of the cirque. This baby gets steep! Twin Peaks in the distance:

8475.jpg

Ski tracks filled the valley and some of the taller gulches and couloirs. This is the vantage from our turnaround point. From left to right, we have Dromedary, Sunrise, and Twin Peaks. Broads Fork is a great jumping point for summit junkies.

8550.jpg

Instead of following our tracks and the beaten path right back to the trailhead, we decided to explore the eastern part of the valley a little bit. Here's looking northeast towards Mt. Raymond and Gobblers Knob:

8645.jpg

For how beautiful aspens can be in autumn, I actually find them even more enchanting in the winter. This was one of my favorite little sections of the route, taken moments before drclef succumbed to gravity and took a graceful little face plant into the snow :D

8663.jpg

At only 6 miles round trip and a gentle 2200' of elevation gain, this is a magnificent winter trek that fans of the Wasatch shouldn't miss!

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

Gorgeous shots! Broads Fork is one of my favorites. Just the first mile of the trail makes for a quick and easy workout anytime of the year. I haven't gone up Broads Fork yet this winter. I'll have to go sometime within the next week or so.

...wonderful impressions.
Sometimes I missing the snow, here over the pond.
In the future I should visit Northern Utah.
Thx for sharing. :)

Gesendet von meinem JB-ViperXed HOX

I love it!! I love It!! I love it!!
Wonderful impressions and so much snow. I should definitely plan one snowshoeing trip next winter season up north. This is definitely a trail I would love to do

Tim - do you snowshoe this or do you skin it? I see Mandy has shoes on, but what about you?

Thanks, everyone. It really is a magical place.

Nick, we both 'shoed it. Skins would be nice, especially if you were going higher. The challenge with skis in this drainage is the last mile-plus coming back down towards the trailhead is pretty steep and thickly forested terrain. Would make for quite the adventure coming back down, without much chance to slow down or stop. But then again, I've heard of people putting their skins back on to deal with that, to slow themselves down. Knowing myself, I'd end up in a tree somewhere if I tried slaloming down that obstacle course :)

I don't have all that much experience on my skins, but I don't think they slow you down much at all going down hill. I wonder if the lower trail is packed down enough that you could just hike in boots on the hard pack with your skis/splitboard on your back? Or if not, carry the skis on your back while shoeing up and then stash them at a certain point and switch back on the way down? I don't know, but I know I've enjoyed skinning on my splitboard way more than hiking on my snowshoes and that looks like a paradise up there...

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
scatman Broads Fork Twin Peaks - July 14, 2020 Hiking & Camping 20
scatman Broads Fork Twin Peaks, Robinson's Variation - September 29, 2018 Hiking & Camping 14
JohnP Twin Peaks via Broads Fork Hiking & Camping 15
Tyler Broads Fork - Big Cottonwood Canyon June 2011 Hiking & Camping 0
regehr (Uintas) Lake Fork Fun Backpacking 8
RockyMntCol Trip Planning Younts Peak / South Fork Yellowstone Trip Planning 12
J Pacific Creek or North Buffalo Fork? Teton Wilderness, Thorofare ,etc. Trip Planning 10
travel2walk Gros Ventre Wilderness: Granite Creek, West Fork Crystal Creek, Crystal Creek, & Swift Creek - June 2021 Backpacking 8
wsp_scott Big South Fork Bikepacking Backpacking 1
RyanP The Plug exit of Pictograph Fork (Maze) Trip Planning 15
BJett Big South Fork National River & Recreation Area Packraft/Backpack Loop (TN) Backpacking 6
wsp_scott Honey Creek (Big South Fork) Backpacking 9
regehr Wilson Fork, Millcreek, Wasatch Hiking & Camping 1
Perry Henry's Fork Basin - Camp Site Suggestions Trip Planning 3
A Wind Rivers: Clear Lake, Faler Lake and Roaring Fork General Discussion 7
scatman Grandeur and Church Fork Peaks Loop - May 29, 2021 Hiking & Camping 19
RyanP North Fork Bull Lake Creek Trip Planning 35
wsp_scott Big South Fork Views Backpacking 14
scatman Church Fork Peak - November 28, 2020 Hiking & Camping 2
U Favorite sites in Glacier in North Fork, Lake McDonald or Cole/Nyack? Looking at mid july Trip Planning 2
scatman Mount Raymond via Bowman Fork - June 27, 2020 Hiking & Camping 6
K Floating down South Fork of the Snake (ID) Trip Planning 1
Dhuff3243 North Fork Robbers Roost and Blarney canyon Trip Planning 0
P West fork of Salt Creek? Trip Planning 4
F Coyote Gulch via Dry Fork? Trip Planning 2
Ross Anyone want to do East Fork Fat Man's Misery-Barracks-Labyrinth Falls Oct 15 (tues) Trip Planning 0
J How is the dirt road to the East Fork of Blacks Fork TH? Trip Planning 1
DrNed Cell service in American Fork Canyon will be a reality by 2020 General Discussion 13
Perry Middle Fork Blacks Fork Ridge Way Trail - Does It Exist? Hiking & Camping 5
Ross Invite Boundary/Kolob/Narrows & East Fork Fat Man’s/Labyrinth Falls (Oct) Meet Up (Members Only) 4
fossana Grand Gulch Pt 1 - Slickhorn 3rd to Trail Fork loop Hiking & Camping 6
Windy Middle Fork Salmon 2018 On The Water 9
DrNed Red Castle Kings Peak Henry's Fork Take Two Backpacking 8
Born to Hike Windriver 36 mile loop: Skull Lake, Washakie Pass, South Fork Lakes, Lizard Head Trail, The Cirque, Big Sandy Lake Backpacking 6
McKee80 Glacier NP, part 2. North Fork, Sept 2018 Backpacking 11
regehr Mill B North Fork Hiking & Camping 6
Miya Stuart Fork TH Again Backpacking 6
DrNed Upper Henry's Fork Lakes Trip Planning 1
blueeyes Few Questions for Diamond Fork area. Trip Planning 4
George_Washington_Hayduke White Roost Canyons (east and west forks) & North Fork of Robbers Roost Canyon Canyoneering 3
Tystevens Henry's Fork -- Red Castle loop from China Meadows Backpacking 2
Jackson Southern Absarokas - Cub Creek and South Buffalo Fork Backpacking 9
wsp_scott Packrafting the Big South Fork (KY) On The Water 7
George_Washington_Hayduke Zero G & Right Fork Of Leprechaun Canyon Canyoneering 2
Perry West Fork Blacks Fork River Crossing 2017 Trip Planning 9
regehr Three of the Four American Fork Twin Peaks Hiking & Camping 10
WasatchWill Back to Diamond Fork & Fifth Water Hot Springs Backpacking 8
cmgz Right Fork-Zion NP Canyoneering 5
Jmr Davis to Trail Fork Trip Planning 0
WasatchWill UHT - Day 5: West Fork Black Fork to Olga Lake Backpacking 2