Bridal Cave, Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri

Curt

My wife and I drove out to South Carolina at the end of February for a wedding. The drive involved taking I-70 across Missouri. Having visited Onondaga Cave State Park (south of I-70 and west of St. Louis) (https://backcountrypost.com/threads/onondaga-cave-state-park-missouri.5249/) and being thoroughly impressed with it, I began looking for another cave to visit on our transit across Missouri. The one I finally chose was Bridal Cave. It's on the shore of Lake of the Ozarks south of I-70 and east of Kansas City in a private park called Thunder Mountain Park. It's claim to fame is that more than 3000 weddings have been performed inside the cave since it was opened to the public in the late 1940's. I honestly wasn't expecting much but ended up being very impressed. The cave isn't as big as Onondaga but there's even more fancy cave formations here. I thought it was very nice.

The weddings are performed in front of a formation called 'The Wedding Cake' not too far inside the cave. There's a small room there that would hold maybe 100 people if you shoe-horned everyone in.
P3024155-Pano.jpg
Many of the other formations had names but I didn't take notes. Just pictures. So, here's some of the others.
P3024171-Pano.jpg
P3024174.jpg

P3024175-Pano.jpg

P3024179-Pano.jpg

P3024188-Pano.jpg

P3024194-Pano.jpg

P3024198-Pano.jpg

P3024202.jpg
P3024207-Pano.jpg

P3024214-Pano.jpg

P3024234-Pano.jpg
This is called "Mystery Lake". The mystery is that no one knows how or when the ladder and other debris got into the water. Speculation is that it dates from the earliest exploration of the cave which was somewhere around 1910.
P3024253.jpg

The big flat wavy formation on the upper right of the picture is called "cave bacon".
P3024258-Pano.jpg

These are called "soda straws". They are hollow. and drip water constantly.
P3024221.jpg

P3024269.jpg

Early cave explorers found that the best way to get around was on shelves about mid-height in the cave. In the picture below there is a wooden bridge placed by early explorers to cross between rooms. In the late 1940's the cave owner wanted to open the cave to the public for the revenue and decided it was too dangerous to have people climbing ladders and crawling across rickety bridges so he had a crew jackhammer through formations between rooms and pour a concrete walkway.
P3024272.jpg

This is a historic ladder still remaining in the cave.
P3024225.jpg

Attachments

• P3024239.jpg
    P3024239.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 13
The Mystery Lake...is spooky...
I love this! I don't much listen to all the details during tours either and just go for the shots. :p Really cool share!! Was happy to see it. :)

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Outdoor_Fool Snowshoeing to Castner Glacier Ice Cave, Alaska Range Winter Sports 5
westy Cave Canyon, Grand Canyon west Hiking & Camping 5
J Mount Nutt Wilderness Cave Spring Area dayhike Nov 26, 2019 Hiking & Camping 0
F Goshute Cave Everything Else 1
Stephanie B Second Journey into The Maze : Cowboy Cave Hiking & Camping 2
C cave of 200 hands in Canyonlands Trip Planning 0
Ross Hiking/easy canyoneering partner for Bull Valley Gorge,Sand Wash (Red Cave) & other spots Trip Planning 0
C cave of 200 hands Trip Planning 2
Curt Onondaga Cave State Park, Missouri Everything Else 7
uintahiker Indian Cave Nebraska Hiking & Camping 8
Aldaron Tumbling Rock Cave Everything Else 17
Nick Timpanogos Cave Hiking & Camping 7
uintahiker Lava River Cave, AZ Hiking & Camping 0
Udink Cowboy Cave Hiking & Camping 1
Udink Quail Panel and Funk's Cave Hiking & Camping 5
Nick Son Doong Cave General Discussion 4
Christian Great Basin NP and Crystal Ball Cave, UT Hiking & Camping 16
Nick Bullseye Ruin and Ballroom Cave, Cedar Mesa Hiking & Camping 3
barl0w Klondike Snow Cave Camping at Aspen Grove, UT 3/16/12 Everything Else 3
Alison Cave Valley-Kolob Hiking & Camping 5
Seldom Seen Anderson Cave Valley Hiking & Camping 3
DOSS Camping in a Cave with girls May 2010 Off Road 5
uintahiker Goshute Cave and Blue Lake Trip Planning 5
scatman Grebe Lake - September 4th through the 6th, 2024 Meet Up (Members Only) 20
K How long in Lake Bled? Trip Planning 1
wsp_scott Yellowstone Lake to Brooks Lake (Aug 2023) Backpacking 16
Mikjik86 Backpacking Indian Peaks Wilderness - King Lake - August, 2023 Backpacking 0
Ugly Two Popular Lake Basins in the Cascades Backpacking 12
TheMountainRabbit Ortenburger Lake, Talus Lake, & Glacier Peak (Grand Teton NP) - October 2023 Backpacking 14
kwc Fall hike to Chase Lake, Southern Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 1
TrektheWorld Red Deer Lake & Beyond Backpacking 10
shredhiker Thorofare, Heart Lake, Snake River Sept. 2023 Backpacking 16
Bob Wind Rivers - Short Trip to Cook Lake Trip Reports 9
regehr (Uintas) Lake Fork Fun Backpacking 8
Timber High Sierra - North Lake to South Lake Loop - Layover Day Trip Planning 9
kwc Limekiln Lake paddle On The Water 0
shredhiker YNP Fawn Pass to Sportsman, Crescent, Shelf Lake Backpacking 18
Bob The Thorofare to Brooks Lake - 9 Days in Pictures Backpacking 10
Janice Lizard Head Plateau - overlook Upper Cathedral Lake? Trip Planning 15
uintafly Chepeta Lake to Hayden Pass Trip Planning 0
DrNed Naturalist Basin: Blue Lake to Shaler Lake? Trip Planning 12
shredhiker YNP Fawn Pass to Sportsman & Crescent Lake Trip Planning 14
kwc Jockeybush Lake- southern Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 0
shredhiker Yellowstone Heart Lake September 2022 Backpacking 9
TheMountainRabbit Black Lake (Rocky Mountain NP) - January 2023 Hiking & Camping 3
Ross Any Lake Powell experts who can advice on changed conditions at dramatically new lake levels? Trip Planning 3
NorthwestWanderer Backpacking Grand Teton National Park : Fossil Pass,Fox Creek Pass,Indian Lake,Alaska Basin,Hurricane Pass,Ice Floe Lake,& Snowdrift Lake Backpacking 19
NorthwestWanderer 8 Day High Sierra trek : Humphreys Basin, Star Col, Granite Park, Lake Italy & Piute Canyon 6/25-7/2/22 Backpacking 7
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Wrangler Lake, Bog Creek, Joseph's Coat Springs, Broad Creek, Wapiti Lake, Hot Springs Basin, and Pelican Valley. The Second Half. Backpacking 15
kwc Another Southern Adirondacks hike - Clockmill Pond and Rock Lake Hiking & Camping 0