Breezing through Utah

McKee80

Hi,
I go to Bakersfield every year around this time to award a memorial scholarship in my brother's name. We always take a week and try to see what we can since we are out there anyway. It usually involves us putting 1000 miles on a rental car. We've seen Tahoe, Yosemite, and Sequoia this way. This year, we are flying into Vegas and trying to see a little of Utah. Since it seems there is some familiarity with Utah on this board, I thought I would ask. This isn't a backcountry trip, so you can delete it if it isn't appropriate (no hard feelings :)).

Get into LV late Saturday night.
Up early, head to Bryce via Valley of Fire SP. Check out the viewpoints and do the Navajo/Queens Garden trail. Stay at Ruby's.
Next day, up early, head to Zion. Canyon Overlook on the way in. We won't make the parking area before 10 AM, so we were going to rent Razors in St George and cruise around the dunes maybe. Staying in an airbnb tiny house on BLM land in Virgin. Up really early the next day to get on one of the first buses in Zion. Riverwalk, emerald pools, maybe watchman trail, whatever else we have time and energy for. Back to the tiny house.
Up early the next day and head to Death Valley. Maybe Furnace Creek, maybe Panamint Springs, hit some DV hotspots (and apparently, they will be very hot).
Next day on to Bakersfield and a lot of drinking with my brother's friends, followed by the scholarship lunch and back to Vegas.

I booked places with easy cancels, I'm bringing my backpacking gear in case we decide to camp at some point. In previous trips, I might have pushed the hiking a bit hard, so I'm trying to see some cool stuff without doing very challenging or long trails. If there's anything on there I should replace or things I shouldn't miss, I would love to hear about it.

Thanks,
Sean

Sounds like you have a pretty good plan. If you have time and the weather cooperates, you could go up the narrows. You will see lot's people in the beginning, but there are less people the further you go up.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
scatman Grebe Lake - September 4th through the 6th, 2024 Meet Up (Members Only) 20
scatman Yellowstone's Thorofare, Headwaters of Thorofare Creek, Majo Pass, Younts Peak, Bob's Canyon, and Cub Creek - August 9, 2023 - Days 7 through 10 Backpacking 34
scatman Yellowstone's Thorofare, Headwaters of Thorofare Creek, Majo Pass, Younts Peak, Bob's Canyon, and Cub Creek - August 9, 2023 - Days 1 through 6 Backpacking 56
T America's Wildest Through-hike General Discussion 0
Outdoor_Fool Yellowstone - Through the Heart of the Park Backpacking 12
Outdoor_Fool Week-long Ramble Through Southern Yellowstone Backpacking 22
Rockskipper Application Period Open For 2023 Private River Trips Through Grand Canyon National Park General Discussion 0
fossana CA statewide National Forest closure through 17 Sep General Discussion 1
norwegianxplorer Greater Yellowstone part 2, from the Headwaters of Yellowstone River, through the Thorofare, Overlook Mountain, Rampart Creek Backpacking 9
fossana BLM looking for input on accelerating grazing permits (comment through 6 Mar) General Discussion 2
WasatchWill Through the Notch and Back Backpacking 11
Artemus Road Proposed to be Bulldozed through Red Cliffs Recreation Area General Discussion 7
Jammer Floating the Yampa through Dinosaur On The Water 5
LarryBoy A Route In Between: Mexico to Canada Through the Heart of the West Backpacking 50
P Yellowstone — Blacktail Ponds to Roosevelt, through Hellroaring Meet Up (Members Only) 5
Jon Carbaugh A Leisurely Stroll Through Coyote Gulch Backpacking 11
C Route 9 Through Zion closed indefinitely. General Discussion 25
WasatchWill Beehive Traverse - Through the Heart of Capitol Reef's Waterpocket Fold Backpacking 39
Rockskipper Campers escape by driving through wildfire in Glacier NP General Discussion 0
Rockskipper Canada Parks Passes on sale through the end of the year - 20% off General Discussion 0
Morgan_Scott Ride Shares for Through Hikes Hiking & Camping 1
frahminator Journey Through The Maze - April 2017 (Day 1 of 5) Backpacking 4
Perry Quick Road Trip Through Kanab - Any Must-see Locations? General Discussion 5
George_Washington_Hayduke Canyonlands Figure 8: Packrafting Loop through the Needles and Maze District Backpacking 3
DrNed Floating Through Dinosaur National Monument Trip Planning 9
Joey An 8 Day off trail backpack through the Crest of Grand Teton National Park Backpacking 22
Mike Jones High Sierra Trail to Mt Whitney through hike Backpacking 11
SwimsWithTrout Chasing Petroglyphs through the Mist Hiking & Camping 6
Udink Green River through Labyrinth and Stillwater Canyons On The Water 14
Howells Outdoors Backpacking through Paria Canyon Backpacking 6
klank Self-Declared 'Rubber Tramp' Shuttles PCT Through-Hikers General Discussion 0
Nick Why Rush Through Paradise General Discussion 7
J Anyone been through Death Hollow recently? Trip Planning 25
gnwatts Floating through Labyrinth Canyon On The Water 22
Cody Great Western Trail through Utah Backpacking 41
Archbishop Video of HWY 12 through Utah. From Torrey to Bryce. General Discussion 2
IntrepidXJ Back Home Through Bluff Hiking & Camping 1
Archbishop Preliminary planning for a trip through NW AZ Trip Planning 17
B Southern Utah March suggestions? Trip Planning 5
desertvic Howdy from rural Utah Noobs: Introduce yourself! 1
Ugly Floating Island- Utah Trip Planning 8
Normie Invite Looking for shuttle partner -- two trips in Southern Utah Meet Up (Members Only) 5
J Identify the spot Utah: I don't know where it is General Discussion 2
BeardoMcGrath Oh look yet another Utah conditions thread: mid May 2023 Trip Planning 9
Vegan.Hiker 8 day trip to Utah Trip Planning 10
ww.joedirt.do Hello from Utah! Noobs: Introduce yourself! 0
Martyn Hi from Hurricane Utah! Noobs: Introduce yourself! 1
B Good trips in Southern Utah given current conditions Trip Planning 26
saltybird SE Utah NPs in April Trip Planning 12
C Grand Gulch Cedar Mesa Utah 11 Day Backpack October 2022 Backpacking 10