Bowen-Baker Loop (Never Summer Wilderness) - June 2020

TheMountainRabbit

"The mountains don't care."
Getting started on my summer trips for 2021 made me think about my first trip last year, which was a quick two-nighter in the Never Summer Wilderness. It's a little bittersweet, because thanks to the East Troublesome Fire late last season this area probably isn't going to be the same again for quite some time. The northernmost extent of the fire lies just south of the actual route though, so I imagine it will at least be hike-able again - albeit with much changed views. (The entire area - including this trail - is closed at the moment.)

Day 1: Bowen-Baker TH to Blue Lake
After leaving the trailhead in Rocky Mountain NP, you almost immediately cross the boundary line and enter the National Forest. In many of my photos you can see a lot of the beetle kill that helped the East Troublesome fire spread as quickly as it did. (And consider that this is generally avoiding the beetle kill for photos, since it's not particularly photogenic.)20200627_163356.jpg
20200627_172456.jpg
I believe large sections of the area pictured below were burned. When the area reopens, I'd like to get a comparison picture.
20200627_190559.jpg
Camp at Blue Lake on the first night was serene. I believe one other solo hiker was camped nearby, but I just barely glimpsed his site and we didn't speak.
20200627_202059.jpg

Day 2: Blue Lake to Parika Lake
The second day would have me climbing up to Bowen Pass and dropping down a bit before climbing Fairview Mountain. From there it was easy to drop down to the saddle between Fairview and Parika Peak before descending to Parika Lake. There was a bit of snow/ice, but all easy enough to traverse. One section dropping down to Parika Lake looked a little tricky going the other direction on the loop, but in my direction was an easy glissade.
20200628_105905.jpg
20200628_114720.jpg
20200628_114723.jpg
20200628_121512.jpg

20200628_124429.jpg
20200628_124949.jpg
20200628_125648.jpg
I had the lake to myself, which was a bit of surprise even early in the season. I'd heard Parika Lake gets a decent amount of traffic.
20200628_164717.jpg
I did have a number of furry visitors to my camp. There were some off and on rain/hail storms during the evening and they would pop out to graze each time the sun came back out. I actually got a fair bit of reading done during the storms, which is rare for me on a trip. I was thankful I'd decided at the last second to bring a book.
20200628_174646.jpg

Day 3: Parika Lake to Bowen-Baker TH
The final day was a pretty straightforward, downhill jaunt to the trailhead. The trail was peaceful and scenic, though progressively less so close to the trailhead. There was a light mist in the air, but the sun poked its way out often enough to keep things comfortable. And of course after spending much of three days walking under mostly grey skies, the sky was blue as could be from the time I got near the trailhead until I pulled into my driveway.
EDIT_20200629_074441.jpg
20200629_073012.jpg
EDIT_20200629_075607.jpg
20200629_094742.jpg

It was a fantastic trip and one I hope to repeat in the future. If you're interested in this route, just keep in mind that much of the area is closed for time being and will likely be changed significantly for the foreseeable future. I've included my CalTopo route below and if you turn on the "Fire History" layer you can see just how close to this route the fire came - not to mention the sheer scope of the burn. (If you have access, the snow has begun to melt enough to see the damage on the weekly satellite photos as well.)

Click here to view on CalTopo

Looking "summery". I am guessing the lack of snow is weeks early this year? Many thanks for the fire history map. Really interesting...
Beautiful place, thanks for posting such a detailed report. Makes me want to fly to DIA and rent a car! So much snow here in the Cascades.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
TrektheWorld Bowen / Baker Gulch Loop Hike Backpacking 5
RyanP Coyote Gulch to Halls Creek via Steven's Canyon and the Baker Route (car/key swap) Meet Up (Members Only) 8
W 9 Days Solo Escalante Loop in October (water advice) - Stevens Canyon, Baker Route over Waterpocket fold, Halls Narrows to Moody Canyons Trip Planning 11
Matt Van Natta HELP: Wind River Range, Baker Lake to Green River Lakes Trip Planning 7
NorthwestWanderer Ptarmigan Ridge, Mt. Baker Wilderness WA Backpacking 8
Jimmy Baker Lake, Lake Diablo, North Cascades, Olympics Family Adventure Hiking & Camping 8
Tyler Baker Pass - Wasatch Mountains August 2005 Hiking & Camping 4
G Escalante area 4-5 night backpack trip suggestions in late September. Loop if possible. Limit technical sections if any. Thanks! Backpacking 6
TrailScot Escalante Loop via Dry Hollow and Boulder Mail Trail - September 2023 Backpacking 8
TractorDoc Paintbrush Canyon / Cascade Canyon Loop -- Grand Teton NP September 11, 2023 Hiking & Camping 9
D Grand Teton Cascade Loop Trip Planning 1
TrailScot Upper Paria Loop Hike - September 2023 Backpacking 4
M Mee/Knowles Canyon Loop, Grand Junction Colorado Backpacking 4
randakag Rawah Wilderness "Lollipop" Loop - September 2023 Backpacking 7
Ugly Oh Mother! A Mountain Loop Backpacking 12
Jackson Lollipop Loop in the Pintlers Backpacking 6
Timber High Sierra - North Lake to South Lake Loop - Layover Day Trip Planning 9
RockyMntCol Cloud Peak Wilderness Loop Trip Planning 1
BJett Part 3 - Tour de Canyon Country. Lower Escalante Loop Hiking & Camping 0
scatman City Creek Loop - April 23, 2023 Hiking & Camping 8
scatman The Van Cott Loop - April 15, 2023 Hiking & Camping 15
Kullaberg63 Loop on and around the Fold Backpacking 13
fossana AZ Strip bike exploration (Sunshine Trail/Hurricane Wash Loop) Everything Else 3
NorthwestWanderer First time in the High Uintas | Red Castle SNEAK Loop | I give these mountains 5 out of 5 stars Backpacking 7
scatman Mount Wire Loop - 2003 and 2016? Hiking & Camping 13
TheMountainRabbit Pitchstone/Bechler Loop (Yellowstone NP) - September 2022 Backpacking 17
scatman Teton Wilderness Loop - August 6, 2022 Backpacking 27
Mikjik86 Another Wind River Trip Planning! Elkhart/Titcomb/Knapsack/Shannons Pass loop back to Elkhart, or continue to Green River Lakes Trailhead? Trip Planning 10
scatman Shoshone Lake Lollipop Loop - Yellowstone National Park - July 24, 2022 Backpacking 63
TrailScot "I'll take the High Road ..." - A Loop Hike around the Canyons of Needles - May 2022 Trip Reports 14
BJett Big South Fork National River & Recreation Area Packraft/Backpack Loop (TN) Backpacking 6
Kerrie at Thru We Go Grand Canyon Backpack/Packraft Loop at New Hance Backpacking 11
Duketogo13 BMT- Death Hollow-Escalante Triangle loop Trip Planning 20
M Kannah Creek Basin loop, Grand Junction CO Backpacking 6
T Snow Canyon Loop Hiking & Camping 1
fossana Yellow Rock, Pollock Arch, Hackberry Canyon loop (GSENM) Hiking & Camping 10
scatman The Van Cott Loop - February 13, 2022 Hiking & Camping 9
Wesley Cheaha Freezing Out and Back Loop FAIL Backpacking 12
T Harris Wash/Silver Falls/Choprock/Fence Canyon Loop MLK weekend 2022 Backpacking 8
scatman Grandeur Peak Loop - December 4, 2021 Hiking & Camping 4
scatman Foothill Follies Part 2 - Black Mountain Ridge and City Creek Canyon Loop - November 11, 2021 Hiking & Camping 6
scatman Mount Wire and Mount Van Cott Lollipop Loop (or the Foothill Follies) - November 6. 2021 Hiking & Camping 20
scatman Hayden Valley Loop - Yellowstone National Park - September 17, 2021 Hiking & Camping 34
stretch Grand Canyon Loop: Thunder River -> Tapeats -> Kanab -> Sowats Backpacking 22
Bob Wind Rivers - Lee Lake Loop Backpacking 6
TheMountainRabbit Southern Absaroka Loop (Teton/Washakie Wilderness) - August 2021 Backpacking 8
scatman Snake River Lollipop Loop - Yellowstone National Park - August 8, 2021 Backpacking 45
scatman Beartooth Wilderness - Flat Rock Lake Lollipop Loop - July 26, 2021 Backpacking 56
Noun Sequitur Magdalena Mountains, Mesa Trail Loop Hiking & Camping 3
Chuck the Mauler Sierra North Lake / South Lake "loop" questions Trip Planning 10