Boundary Canyon w/ Narrows Exit

Blake Merrell

Life Elevated - Rising Higher

These overnight canyoneering trips are proving to be some of my favorite trips. Of course, how can ya go wrong if you add flowing water to a Zion slot canyon? I'm almost convinced that US canyoneering doesn't get much better!

The orginal trip plan was to do Kolob canyon with a Narrows exit. When we went to pick up our permits, the Zion Back-country Desk would not let us have our permit. We had a few backup plans, and we landed on Boundary canyon. It was flowing we were anxious to rappel down some Zion waterfalls!

Boundary canyon did not disappoint. It is a short and sweet canyon. Lots of spectacular drops in a short time. Almost to short. I can totally see why people would not like doing this canyon in a day. Not much time spent in a canyon compared to the exit hike out. Fortunately for us, we had a much better plan. We were going to backpack out Lower Kolob canyon to camp in the Narrows overnight. I think I might have loved the exit hike more than the tech canyon!

We found all the solitude anyone could ever ask for. The first people we ran into were while we were setting up camp in the Zion Narrows. Once we got past Big Springs though, the narrows were packed with people, At that point interest dwindled in the beautiful scenery, and we just wanted to get out and away from the zoo.

Nice TR. That last 3 miles or so in the narrows is like Grand Central Station these days. Oh well, all it takes is a little work and you get seemingly the whole place to yourself.

We did the same last year and it was amazing. The kids went up the MIA exit and we enjoyed a night of relaxation. What I really loved about Boundary was the walls. A really beautiful canyon!

We did the same last year and it was amazing. The kids went up the MIA exit and we enjoyed a night of relaxation. What I really loved about Boundary was the walls. A really beautiful canyon!

Agreed! The walls of Boundary are amazing. That whole slot was super impressive. I didn't expect what I saw. I guess that is what I get for not really researching the route. I just downloaded the GPS markers and went!

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
ram Boundary Canyon 5-16-15 Canyoneering 5
F Thorofare/South Boundary/Wolverine Creek Trip Planning 2
tropicalwanderer YNP : 8/31-9/7 : Heart Lake to Nine Mile via CDT, South Boundary and Thorofare Trip Planning 9
Ross Invite Boundary/Kolob/Narrows & East Fork Fat Man’s/Labyrinth Falls (Oct) Meet Up (Members Only) 4
Joey Backpacking Yellowstone's Snake River, Heart Lake, and South Boundary Trail Backpacking 13
Spencer Sutherland Canoe Trip in the Boundary Waters Trip Planning 2
Joey Yellowstone's Lamar River, Hoodoo Basin, and Eastern Boundary Loop Backpacking 24
L Stevens Canyon - Baker Trail water availability Trip Planning 7
J Reflection Canyon Trip Planning 4
fossana Found: prescription glasses near the top of the Flipoff Canyon approach General Discussion 5
Spud Salt Creek Canyon question Trip Planning 11
B Buckskin gulch/Pariah canyon Carpool Trip Planning 0
TractorDoc Paintbrush Canyon / Cascade Canyon Loop -- Grand Teton NP September 11, 2023 Hiking & Camping 9
Kullaberg63 15 day canyon route Backpacking 13
Titans Tricked in the canyon! Hiking & Camping 5
TrailScot Dayhiking the Under-the-Rim Trail - Bryce Canyon NP - October 2023 Hiking & Camping 4
Janice Such a GRAND Canyon - Deer Creek / Tapeats / Thunder River Backpacking 21
M Mee/Knowles Canyon Loop, Grand Junction Colorado Backpacking 4
OldBill Short hike at the Grand Canyon of Pennsylvania Hiking & Camping 1
S Paria Canyon- Whitehouse to Lees Ferry, Oct 18 to 21, 2023 Trip Reports 0
scatman Yellowstone's Thorofare, Headwaters of Thorofare Creek, Majo Pass, Younts Peak, Bob's Canyon, and Cub Creek - August 9, 2023 - Days 7 through 10 Backpacking 34
scatman Yellowstone's Thorofare, Headwaters of Thorofare Creek, Majo Pass, Younts Peak, Bob's Canyon, and Cub Creek - August 9, 2023 - Days 1 through 6 Backpacking 56
A Bowdie Canyon Trip Planning 10
TheMountainRabbit Silas Canyon (Popo Agie Wilderness) - August 2023 Backpacking 3
J Paria Canyon - One Day Trail Trip Planning 10
Bob The New Grand Canyon Trip Planning 1
WhozWutz Invite Horse Canyon Needles Meet Up (Members Only) 1
BJett Part 3 - Tour de Canyon Country. Lower Escalante Loop Hiking & Camping 0
BJett Part 2 - Tour de Canyon Country. Swell Times Hiking & Camping 0
BJett Part 1 - Tour de Canyon Country. Cedar Mesa. Hiking & Camping 8
Gretchen Millward Trachyte Creek via Woodruff Canyon, April 2023 Backpacking 9
F Grand Canyon hermits rest to granite rapids to bright angel Trip Planning 10
gnwatts Stillwater Canyon On The Water 11
shredhiker Kings Canyon July 2022 Kearsarge, Rae, & Sixty Lakes Backpacking 8
J Info needed: Bown's Canyon, Long Canyon Trip Planning 8
Gretchen Millward Cheesebox Canyon, Oct. 2022 Backpacking 14
Stickerbumper Fold Canyon Middle Exit Trip Planning 9
Janice Professor Creek / Mary Jane Canyon - mid April? Trip Planning 0
D Horseshoe Canyon or San Rafael Swell? Trip Planning 9
scatman North Ridge of City Creek Canyon - February 4, 2023 Hiking & Camping 17
scatman South Ridge of City Creek Canyon - January 28, 2023 Hiking & Camping 4
NorthwestWanderer 8 Day High Sierra trek : Humphreys Basin, Star Col, Granite Park, Lake Italy & Piute Canyon 6/25-7/2/22 Backpacking 7
T Amazing Discovery in Utah-Glen Canyon Trip Planning 65
Titans What’s your unfinished business? Hard canyon access, mtn peak, you name it! General Discussion 54
SteveR Big Spring-Elephant Canyon dayhike. With free bonus vacation pix! Hiking & Camping 13
Stephanie B Dirty Devil River Impassible at Poison Springs Canyon Off Road 0
LarryBoy Is there anything technical in White Canyon above the Black Hole? Trip Planning 16
dennisrodman A week in the Grand Canyon / Boucher / Hermit / Tonto Trail Trip Planning 4
XID_AZ Kanab Creek Wilderness - Sowats Canyon - Mountain Sheep Spring Trip Planning 6
travel2walk Yellowstone: Bechler Canyon, Aug 12-15 2022 Backpacking 21