Boots

lgpjr49

Hey y'all I'm new to backpacking and I'm looking at a pair if new backpacking SHOES what would y'all tell a newbie to look for when shopping for hiking shoes

Go to a store that has a large selection and try on a bunch and find one that fits YOU and your price range.

Hey y'all I'm new to backpacking and I'm looking at a pair if new backpacking SHOES what would y'all tell a newbie to look for when shopping for hiking shoes
Most people like the Keen Targhee II (or similar) or the Merrell Moab w/ Gore Tex. If you like shoes pick the low version.

The North Face Hedge Hog is my current trail shoe and I like'm a lot. They work great for shorter trips on established trails.

As long as you are not carrying a 40+ lb pack, using crampons, or going off trail through really rough terrain you will be happy with them. I started with the Moab and like them.

Over the last couple of years I have gotten into longer trips and tend to travel through areas that may need more than just hiking shoes to pass through safely. I am currently breaking in a pair of Asolo TPS 520 GV boots for my next trip. Over time I learned that I tend to like full grain leather with a shank to stiffen the sole (a lot of people do not).

In short, finding a good pair of shoes/boots is a journey not a destination and everyone has a different opinion. IMO the Merrell Moab GTX low or similar may be a good starting point.

I suggest looking at the Whats on your feet thread. It has a lot of suggestions and reviews.

Last edited:
For a first pair of shoes I say go with Parma's advice and try on everything in the store (with hiking socks) and go with what feels best.

Err on the side of them being slightly loose (but not really loose) rather than tight as your feet swell and enlarge when you hike. Plus if they are too short in the toe box you'll be in pain on steep descents.

Lastly, I would add that if you will be doing some long days, a pair of Superfeet insoles is well worth the extra $50 for the arch support. They come in different models (colors) for different arch types. I like the copper ones.

What they said. It took me 20 years before I found my most comfortable shoe ever. I started out with boots for many years. Now I like the trail runners. Still need to have a few good pairs of boots around for certain hikes and trails were boots make more sense.
I always liked Merrel moabs and NB trail runners until I bought a pair of Sauconys Perigrines and oh my god what a huge difference. I would always get a few blisters. Thought that to be normal. I put a 100 miles so far this spring on the new pair of Sauconys and not one blister and my feet have no pain. They are my Cadilac's. I also use Darn Tough socks, Sof Sole inserts and gaitors.
But what fits my feet best my not fit yours. So go try a bunch a shoes on.

I've had good luck with Lowa boots, their quality is outstanding and I would expect their shoes to be the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: ogg