Boots for backpackin?

Tye Dye Twins

I have been buying cheap ass boots my whole lfe. I continually blow through the wallmart $35 specials in under 2 miles of hiking, and the payless $65 ones lasted about 9 miles. I prefer boots over trail runners as I love the ankle support boots give you.

I am willing to spend up to $350 now for a pair of boots. Any suggestions?

This is one of those things that I believe other people's advice is pretty useless. Feet are so different that you just have to try things and see what works. Here's my opinion, for what it's worth:

I generally like shoes, not boots. Or at the very least, lightweight boots. I hate big, heavy leather boots. A pound on your feet is like a bunch on your back, said some dude once. I like waterproof usually so I can walk through 2-4" deep water without my socks getting wet. I have generally had great experience with Vasque shoes and boots, both in quality and durability, but they aren't perfect. I'm still sad they killed my favorite (Scree) by ditching the good stealth rubber for relatively crappy vibram, along with other bad changes to it. I've been walking around in a pair of Vasque Juxt lately that are pretty comfy and light and will make nice river hiking shoes someday (not waterproof).

I like some FiveTen shoes like the CampFour and Canyoneer for their specific uses and their super sticky stealth rubber.

Keens fit me well and work well, but they fall apart too fast.

North Face boots belong in a torture dungeon.

I rarely spend over $100 for shoes/boots. I try hard for discounts and buy them then even if I don't really need them. MSRP usually isn't more than $150 on anything I've bought.

I have wide feet.

Hope that helps.

Keens fit me well and work well, but they fall apart too fast.

I've had the same love/hate relationship with Keens over the years, but right now I seem to be having really good luck with the Durands. They are built in the USA and are of a much higher quality than the normal Keens (better soles, better glues used, better laces, metal instead of plastics in places), yet they still fit me nicely just like the typical Keen.

I am on my second set of Scarpa Kailash GTX boots. Fit like a glove no blisters, well maybe one or two in 6 years. About $200. First set lasted about 500 trail miles, just started 2nd set. Decent support, traction. Not too hot. Run about 1/2 size small. Best to try the brand on ...... No two feet are the same.

I've had WalMart boots last for two years, but whatever. Get something that fits. I wouldn't spend $200 unless you plan on glacier travel.

I love my Lowa Renegades with Superfeet Gray insoles. I really wanted to like the Asolo Fugitives that were on sale at REI at the time I bought the Lowas, but they just didn't fit right. I had to go over budget a little bit with the Lowas, and I'm glad I did.

I second zamberlan, I've never got a blister in them. They are comfy for me but everyone in different.

I love my Lowa Renegades with Superfeet Gray insoles. I really wanted to like the Asolo Fugitives that were on sale at REI at the time I bought the Lowas, but they just didn't fit right. I had to go over budget a little bit with the Lowas, and I'm glad I did.

I was going to suggest Superfeet insoles as well. I use the copper DMP ones that mold to your foot. I never get sore feet with them.

I personally would buy 3 pairs of shoes: Chacos, trail shoes (Merrell Moab GTX or TNF Hedgehogs GTX), and some full grain leather mid boots for ugly weather and anything else that can handle some strap on crampons if you are in a pinch and hit snow fields/small gaciers (Vasque Sundowner, Danner Crater Rim/Combat Hiker, Zamberlan Civetta, or Lowa Ticam).

A lot of these are on sale at REI right now and would set you back about $225.

Last edited:
I bought a pair of these a few weeks back.

http://www.salewa.com/en/alp-flow-mid-gore-tex-boots-men.html?color=9515

Light, very well ventilated, fantastic soles, good support, and comfortable. I sent them back. Every step there was a very audible muffled pop from where the toe box meets the main shell. I at first thought it would go away with use but put 30 miles on them with no change. I should be getting another pair but suspect the problem will still be there. Upside is you wouldn't likely be surprising a bear. Unless it is old and deaf.

My wife has last year's version. Slightly heavier, vent system not quite as good, but same soles and comfort without the sound effects. REI currently has those on sale and that may be a better option.

Holy guacamole.. $360!!!

My Zamberlan boots are six years old now. The retail price was $260.00 at the time. I used my REI 20% off coupon and my dividend of about $60.00, which made the final price around $148.00. If you divide the $148.00 by six, it comes to roughly $25.00 a year so far. They currently show no signs of wearing out in the near future. I did have to replace the laces on both boots last summer.

Now I really like the low cut Moab Ventilators and have worn them on numerous backpacking trips. They used to retail for $80.00, though I believe they are closer to $90.00 now. I would remove the original insert and replace them with Montrail Enduro-Sole inserts at $40.00 a pop. The problem is the shoe only lasts one year. So I can shell out $130.00 a year, or I can get an excellent boot that will last many years.

It's a tough call in my opinion. It's certainly difficult to come up with $360.00, but they make an excellent long lasting product that over time you might actually find that you come out ahead when all is said and done. :)

If you want old school heavy duty, Galibier Super Guides are about as good as it gets. They are most definitely heavy and stiff. Did I say stiff? My first pair of those someplace back about 1970 lasted through 4 resole jobs until I wore the toes completely through. I did have the full shanks replaced with 3/4 versions on the first resole and it made them much better backpacking boots. I still have my second pair of those but again, heavy and stiff. And expensive.

For general backpacking I believe there are a lot better choices these days even if they don't have that kind or endurance. One thing I would pay attention to is the sole pattern. There are a lot of "trail friendly" designs out there that are not in any way people friendly in the loose stuff. Something close to the original Vibram pattern with a real heel is what I prefer.

For the number of years you've gotten out of them @scatman it actually sounds like they are a bargain at that price. Especially since you said there is lots of life left in them. Sometimes it saves to spend more.

I've had many years and mileages out of Asolo boots. (TPS 535 wide fit) Always found them a comfortable fit right out of the box - though as a previous poster indicated, different boots for different feet, so the 'shaping' of some makes will suit a particular foot better than others. Worth checking the Asolo range out if you're looking for a boot that'll get you over a wide variety of terrain.

I would give a third shout for Zamberlain. They have been good to me over the years. They are a bit pricey but my shoes are one area that I will spend money on.

i am pretty sure the OP has purchased some shoes by now, but I'll add to this thread :).

Currently I am using the Lowa Ticam and Lowa Camino. FANTASTIC boots. A bit pricey, but once broken in, they truly are comfortable.

Meindl boots are expensive, but mostly full grain leather and have phenomenal reviews. You can only get them domestically (normally) from Cabela's, though, and they aren't the exact same models that get rave reviews all across the European hiking community. Although they get darn good reviews on the models here. Sounds like maybe an option of the kind you're looking for.

Personally, I've kind of given up leather boots as a hiking necessity years ago, although I admit I still kinda like them as a fashion accessory to broadcast my love of the outdoors or whatever. But that's a personal tic.