Book Recommendations

Dan_85

With Christmas coming up I'm looking for some ideas and a few recommendations, mainly on the Colorado Plateau area. I'm open to everything really, no particular subject or style as such, just some interesting reading material on hiking in the area, the history, places to check out, great photography etc.

I recently picked up "Canyon Wilderness of the Southwest" which is a great photography book on the area, some really stunning shots in there.

I also have "Encounters in the American Mountain West" to start on soon. Seems like an interesting recollection of the history and adventures around Southern Utah.

I'd also like to get hold of a good book on Everett Ruess but have read mixed reports on a lot of them, with no particular book really standing out as the best one to pick up. Any ideas?

Would be good to hear some of your favorites that you can recommend!

I read The Mystery of Everett Ruess earlier this year and quite enjoyed it.

I'd like to find some good reading material on Jacob Hamblin or the Hole in the Rock expedition (from secular sources).

Some good recommendations in here, thanks guys! I do like the sound of that Wallace Stegner one...

I read The Mystery of Everett Ruess earlier this year and quite enjoyed it.

I'd like to find some good reading material on Jacob Hamblin or the Hole in the Rock expedition (from secular sources).

I'm interested in this as well, if you find something. I've wanted to read more about Hamblin after "Beyond the..." Powell seamed to have great confidence in him. A Frontier Life looks good, but I haven't picked it up yet (a bit pricey)

Beyond the Hundredth is good, but Stegner can sound a bit like a bibliography at times.

I'm picking my way through a few at the time. On Zion's Mount is good so far, a type of Environmental History of Utah lake/Valley and the clash of the largest Ute clan (fish eaters), and Mormons. Making Space on the Western Frontier takes an interesting look at the clash of Europeans and Paiutes of southern Utah.

I just finished Finders Keepers, by Craig Childs. I've followed his High Country News articles for sometime, but this is the first I've read of his. Excellent narrative with strong scholarly articles sprinkled throughout. I'll be reading everything he's written, he's the first since Abbey that I've really clicked with. @NateGeesaman and I listened to Apocalyptic Planet a bit on our drive around the south, and it was good as well.

"Wind in the Rock" (1978) by Ann Zwinger is one of my favorites, writing about the 4 major canyon systems on Cedar Mesa, Johns, Slickhorn, Grand Gulch and Whirlwind Draw. She writes of a place (in great detail) that no longer exists, no permits or quotas or crowds. A great read.

"Wind in the Rock" (1978) by Ann Zwinger is one of my favorites, writing about the 4 major canyon systems on Cedar Mesa, Johns, Slickhorn, Grand Gulch and Whirlwind Draw. She writes of a place (in great detail) that no longer exists, no permits or quotas or crowds. A great read.

Thanks for reminding me....that book has been sitting on my shelf unread for far too long...time to start it!

Good tip on the Zwinger book - I had it on my list long ago, forgot about it, just got reminded by gnwatts, so it's ordered and on the way now.

I've enjoyed all of Craig Childs' books.

- DAA

I've picked each of the Curtin books up at different times from Back of Beyond off the "recommended" shelf they have. Easy light reads, no complaints - like you said, feel like I've been there, because I have :D .

Will have to add Wet Desert to the list.

- DAA

Another hat tip to Craig Childs. "Secret Knowledge of Water" is my personal favorite. You can't go wrong with any of his books, especially his archaeology adventures. Speaking of archaeology, David Roberts "In Search of the Old Ones" is a good one too.

Speaking of David Roberts, the Sandstone Spine, The Pueblo Revolt, Finding Everett Ruess, and Devils Gate are all good, too.

I have had "Jacob Hamblin, his life in his own words" published by paramount sitting on my shelf for years now with intent to read like many others that I have. But alas, lately I have been getting audio books to listen to during my 110 mile/day commute. They are expensive enough that I don't get books I am specifically looking for, but look at what used ones are available on Ebay and then that is what I choose from. I just finished 1776, which is just a bit off topic for this thread.