Book Cliffs Trail

Udink

Still right here.
The kids and I returned to the Book Cliffs on Saturday to finish something we started more than seven years ago. In late 2006 we hiked a small portion of an old pack trail leading up through the Book Cliffs. The trail became too steep and rough for the kids, then ages 3 and 5, and on the way down we had an encounter with an unsavory character which soured the entire trip. Now, both myself and the kids are fitter and stronger and I wasn't expecting to have any difficulties. After some highway driving and a few miles of bumping down a dirt road in the same old Ford pickup, we reached the bottom of the trail and began our hike. The first quarter of the trail is fairly well discernible, albeit somewhat steep and rocky. Along that section we stopped for some rephotography, duplicating photos that I'd taken during our first hike.

Parked at the end of the road and the beginning of the trail
IMG_2665.JPG

2006-2014 comparison
IMG_2666c.jpg

Our route will take us through the cliffs in the center
IMG_2675.JPG

Our route
IMG_2676m.JPG

The boys nearing the base of the climb
IMG_2684.JPG

Starting to climb
IMG_2685.JPG

A steep but easy section through soft dirt
IMG_2689.JPG

Boulder and Torrey getting a drink of water
IMG_2690.JPG

Snack break
IMG_2695.JPG

2006-2014 comparison
IMG_2701c.jpg

Climbing through a bouldery section
IMG_2708.JPG

2006-2014 comparison
IMG_2715c.jpg

Steep, bouldery section of trail
IMG_2716.JPG

2006-2014 comparison
IMG_2717c.jpg

We got to our previous turn-around point where the trail drops through a small saddle of clay soil. The trail briefly ascended the smooth section of clay before becoming completely lost in rocks and boulders. We zig-zagged our way up through the rugged terrain while approaching an impossible-looking cliff band. Even from just below the cliffs they look impenetrable, but once directly at the base of the cliff band one can see a gap caused by a fault that slipped vertically.

Approaching the saddle
IMG_2721.JPG

Ascending past the saddle
IMG_2726.JPG

Above the saddle
IMG_2731.JPG

Even from this close, it's difficult to make out the break in the cliffs
IMG_2732.JPG

The truck and the road we drove in on
IMG_2735.JPG

Zig-zagging up another bouldery section
IMG_2738.JPG

The break in the cliffs
IMG_2741.JPG

Traversing below a cliff band
IMG_2746.JPG

Beyond the cliff gap there was one more steep and rocky climb with very little sign of a trail. We slowly climbed until we'd gained enough elevation to traverse sideways again, putting us at the top of the Book Cliffs in a valley that leads to Little Park Wash.

Looking up at the final bouldery scramble before reaching the top
IMG_2748.JPG

Nearing the top
IMG_2751.JPG

Done climbing, now just to traverse a slope to a valley to the north
IMG_2756.JPG

Michael and Bradley at the top of the trail
IMG_2763.JPG

We rested at the top, had a snack, and explored a little bit. Michael and Bradley felt accomplished in having made it to the top, but neither was willing to continue hiking an extra half-mile to Little Park Wash. We started back down the trail, and what had taken us an hour and a half to ascend took only 35 minutes to descend.

Valley leading to Little Park Wash
IMG_2766.JPG

View south along the top ridge of the Book Cliffs
IMG_2770.JPG

Price River cutting across the valley below Woodside
IMG_2781.JPG

Starting the descent
IMG_2787.JPG

Descending the trail
IMG_2793.JPG

Walking back to the truck
IMG_2796.JPG

During the drive back to the highway I parked the truck and took a short walk over to what appeared to be a collapsed cabin that I'd spotted in Google Earth. Sure enough, there were timbers on the ground and a lot of old trash. Wood, barbed wire, bottles, and even railroad spikes littered the ground. I'd guess it was an old cow or sheep camp that was in use during the 50s or 60s. I took one last glimpse at the Book Cliffs before turning north onto the pavement and heading home. The mountains weren't as beautiful as the last time I'd seen them from this vantage point, but this time I left feeling much more satisfied.

Collapsed cabin
IMG_2799.JPG

Rusty conduit
IMG_2805.JPG

Horseshoes
IMG_2811.JPG

Old glass bottle
IMG_2812.JPG

Book Cliffs
IMG_2818.JPG

Full photo gallery:
https://picasaweb.google.com/Dennis.Udink/BookCliffsTrail

[parsehtml]<iframe width="800" height="600" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="https://maps.google.com/maps?q=http:%2F%2Fudink.org%2Fgeo%2FBookCliffsTrail.kmz&amp;hl=en&amp;sspn=0.082137,0.169086&amp;t=h&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;ll=39.310627,-110.315952&amp;spn=0.019923,0.034289&amp;z=15&amp;output=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="https://maps.google.com/maps?q=http:%2F%2Fudink.org%2Fgeo%2FBookCliffsTrail.kmz&amp;hl=en&amp;sspn=0.082137,0.169086&amp;t=h&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;ll=39.310627,-110.315952&amp;spn=0.019923,0.034289&amp;z=15&amp;source=embed" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>[/parsehtml]http://udink.org/geo/BookCliffsTrail.kmz

Well done, Dennis.
Love your comparsion pictures.

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 7 II LTE mit Tapatalk 4

Reread your post from 06, that was nuts. Glad to hear this trip turned out better for you. Nice comparison pictures.

Thanks Dennis,

The before and after are great. These guys are hardy. Pretty soon you can offload your pack weight! :cool:

Love the photo comparisons and I like Art's idea of offloading weight even more! Maybe I should have kids after all?? :)
I have a couple I'm willing to give away. If you decide to take them they are yours. SORRY, NO RETURNS...:giggle:
I'm just kidding!!!