Boatpacking in the YNP.

Deadeye008

Hambone
A couple buddies and I set out for the YNP backcountry a couple weekends ago. Our campsite was one that can be accessed by either a 20 mile boat ride or a 20 mile hike. We chose the boat since our primary goal was finding some big Yellowston Cutts. It was great to sit around a campfire and the weather was good to us as well. Didn't get rained on even though there were a few threatening clouds that passed over. We ended up getting into some really nice fish and having a great time. The scenery there was amazing and even though we were able to boat to our campsite we had the entire area to ourselves. The area just south of our campsite is the most remote area in the lower 48 where one can get just over 20 miles from the nearest road. Pretty crazy to think that is the most remote one can get in the lower 48. Anyway, here are some pics. Enjoy.

IMG_8191__.jpg by Deadeye008, on Flickr

YNP Backcountry by Deadeye008, on Flickr

Cutty Tank by Deadeye008, on Flickr

Leech eater by Deadeye008, on Flickr

IMG_8085__.jpg by Deadeye008, on Flickr

IMG_8584__.jpg by Deadeye008, on Flickr

IMG_8595__.jpg by Deadeye008, on Flickr

Cutty rainbow by Deadeye008, on Flickr

Cutty Couple by Deadeye008, on Flickr

One hander by Deadeye008, on Flickr

A few Callibeatis by Deadeye008, on Flickr

IMG_7923__.jpg by Deadeye008, on Flickr

IMG_8139__.jpg by Deadeye008, on Flickr

IMG_8129__.jpg by Deadeye008, on Flickr

Hero Pose by Deadeye008, on Flickr

IMG_8164__.jpg by Deadeye008, on Flickr

IMG_8609__.jpg by Deadeye008, on Flickr

IMG_8611__.jpg by Deadeye008, on Flickr

IMG_8730__.jpg by Deadeye008, on Flickr

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

Nice Deadeye, Nice! The fishing was obviously outstanding and the scenery even better ! (to this non-fisherman....)

Did you rent your boat there on the lake? Did you camp on an island in of the reserved spots and if not any bear sign?

Nice Deadeye, Nice! The fishing was obviously outstanding and the scenery even better ! (to this non-fisherman....)

Did you rent your boat there on the lake? Did you camp on an island in of the reserved spots and if not any bear sign?

Thanks! The boat belongs to one of my buddies. All of the backcountry campsites in YNP are by reservation only. We were on the south side of the lake.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

So, you camped on shore... That side of the park is grizzly country. I assume they had bear boxes for you...

Took me a minute to figure out how you boatpacked in Yosemite National Park (YNP) until I saw the pictures... Well done lad.

You should change your screen name to Deadey007 since you are the James Bond of fly fishing...

So, you camped on shore... That side of the park is grizzly country. I assume they had bear boxes for you...

Took me a minute to figure out how you boatpacked in Yosemite National Park (YNP) until I saw the pictures... Well done lad.

You should change your screen name to Deadey007 since you are the James Bond of fly fishing...

This was Yellowstone National Park. Guess I should have specified. It is grizzly country where we camped. They had a bear box and a bear pole. We didn't see any sign of bear though. The area south of there is closed until July 15th every year because of bear activity in the area. Regulations are no leaving the campground until after July 15th.

Awesome shots and fish!!! I've had that area of the park on my radar for a few years now for a backpacking trip!!!

NIce Nice Nice @Deadeye008 those are some fatties! I'm guessing southeast arm? Like @HomerJ I have been itching to get into that part of the park to do some backpacking myself.

That's one sweet video!!!! Awesome job!!!

That is the best trip i've read about out of YNP in a long time. Thanks for sharing. Man, oh man those cuts are huge. Thanks

Salud

@Deadeye008 - I recently acquired a little 14 foot aluminum jon boat and I was thinking of doing a trip like this out here next year. Any recommendations on areas to shoot for (or avoid) or best places to start from, etc?

@Deadeye008 - I recently acquired a little 14 foot aluminum jon boat and I was thinking of doing a trip like this out here next year. Any recommendations on areas to shoot for (or avoid) or best places to start from, etc?

Sorry, I just saw your post. I assume you've got a motor? If so, West Thumb is the best place to launch. If you've got a kayak/canoe you can launch out of another site on the east side of the lake near Sedge Creek. The best places to camp/fish are in the two southern arms of the lake. There are campsites all along both of them. The bottom 2 miles of the arms are motorless so if you go down there you've gotta have the motor out of the water. You'll want to stay out of open water during the late morning and early afternoon as the winds can make it really dangerous. As long as you travel in the morning or evening you should be fine. Morning is the best. The Cutthroat stay in shallow water and the Lake Trout out deeper usually.

Very impressive Justin. Your stills, and video are beautiful. What camera were you using for your pics and videos? Also, what editing software do you use?

Kevin.

Thanks. I use a Canon 6D. For pictures I use Lightroom and for video I use Windows Movie Maker. It's really user friendly and has all the basic features you need.

Thanks Justin. I sold all of my Nikon gear last year and now have the urge to get something new. I've wanted to give the Canon line a try for sometime. It seemed I was always the odd guy out in Yellowstone with my Nikon camera. Predominantly Canon shooters without a doubt. But, my Nikon served me well so I have no complaints. What type of lenses were you using in your photos?

Kevin.