Blue John and Horseshoe Canyons

Looks like a wonderful time. Looks like you went down the main fork of BJ's and then did you go up the west fork? Were you camped at the top of the west fork? If your group does much more of this, you will likely find that buying a pair of neoprene "Gold's Gym" shorts will save your pants and your skin. Often found at Walmart for $7-10. Atlas gloves or other grippy garden type gloves with the coating, go for $3-6 and save the hands. At times you can even downclimb better in them that with your own skin. You didn't ask and I hope you won't take offense, but nothing says friendship and I love you as having everyone in some kind of helmet. The level of climbing and exposure you encountered on the BJ day calls for it, in in my not so humble opinion. Also, the desert just doesn't have that much wood laying around and the area is seeing more traffic. Our community encourages folks to bring their own wood for fires in the desert. It is a bit more expensive, but slows the semi barren landscape from being picked clean. Off my high horse and soapbox for now, with apologies and congrats on a fun, fine and safe trip
Ram

Thanks for having the courage to educate others and do so in a respectful way. I learned a few things, thanks.

Whenever I'm hiking/camping in that same area I usually stay at the Little Flat Tops and day hike in the Swell or Horseshoe canyon areas. We will usually take enough wood to get a fire started each day and then my kids and I will gather combustibles in the former of cow shit :poop:. It's a renewable resource and there seems to be no shortage of it around. The only down side is it's not the best heat for hot dogs and marshmallows as it leaves them black and covered in soot. If you just looking to sit around the fire and chat there is nothing wrong with a shitty little fire.

Literally

We usually don't have a fire, but bring wood when we do. This time it was a last minute decision. The river had washed plenty of dead wood near our campsite, so there was a lot to choose from.

Literally

We usually don't have a fire, but bring wood when we do. This time it was a last minute decision. The river had washed plenty of dead wood near our campsite, so there was a lot to choose from.
I hear ya there is no judgment here;). Just thought I would pass on my alternative heat source.

here are a few pictures of our trip into Blue John Canyon:
I did not take many pictures, I was too busy of down climbing or anything else.

i-tb6DfPW-L.jpg
i-JPDQkDD-L.jpg

on the down climb section

i-RRHxLt8-L.jpg

i-v72kFT3-L.jpg

i-CtJfngw-L.jpg

i-pqwMttK-L.jpg

i-S7j6q6t-L.jpg

i-rprqhG8-L.jpg
i-rgjh37z-L.jpg

i-CWWzGQ3-L.jpg

love this part of the canyon

i-k5SRVNN-L.jpg

i-cDDZcP7-L.jpg

Thanks for having the courage to educate others and do so in a respectful way. I learned a few things, thanks.
Thank you for taking what i have to offer so graciously. Through your interviews, in the video, I grew enough connected with the people to think I had something to offer. I wanted it to be easier and safer for all of you. You created that by making everyone's experience so real to me.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
steve Invite Blue John and Horseshoe Canyons this weekend April 18-20 Meet Up (Members Only) 9
regehr Family trip to Blue John Canyoneering 22
wanderinfinn Three, Moonshine, and Blue John Canyons Canyoneering 9
Nick Blue John Canyon Canyoneering 6
DrNed Naturalist Basin: Blue Lake to Shaler Lake? Trip Planning 12
TractorDoc CVNP Blue Hen Falls and The Ledges 07/23/2023 Hiking & Camping 7
kwc Blue Mountain hike, Central Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 0
M DragonFly ond Blue eyed Moqui Princess Panels Trip Planning 23
kwc Blue Skies and Empty Slopes Winter Sports 1
NorthwestWanderer Route Finding adventure, Copper Pass to Blue Lake - Goats, Bears, Lions, Oh my! Backpacking 3
o2bav8 A little bit of everything & don't drive on blue clay when wet Hiking & Camping 18
stevecochranephotography Blue Lakes Trail... Southwest Colorado in the Mount Sneffels Wilderness Hiking & Camping 9
IntrepidXJ Album The Blue Hour Photography 45
chandlerwest Super Blue Blood Moon Photography 7
AbinadiWitness Part 1: Telluride Via Ferrata and Mount Sneffels SW Ridge from Blue Lakes- Colorado Trip # 1 - 2017 Backpacking 0
balzaccom Blue skies and green trees in the Sierra Nevada General Discussion 0
balzaccom Blue Lake Canyon, Emigrant Wilderness Hiking & Camping 1
D Blue Springs trailhead, little colorado river, via FS6140 Trip Planning 0
IntrepidXJ Blue Lakes Backpacking 10
Udink Dragonfly and Blue-Eyed Princess Hiking & Camping 8
Christian Slot Canyons in the Blue Mountains of Australia are AWESOME! General Discussion 2
IntrepidXJ Once in a Blue Moon | The Arizona Strip Hiking & Camping 18
uintahiker Goshute Cave and Blue Lake Trip Planning 5
wabenho Big Pine Lakes – John Muir Wilderness Backpacking 6
kwc John Pond, central Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 3
priz1234 John Muir Trail 2021 Backpacking 8
NorthwestWanderer Backpacking the John Muir Wilderness : Humphreys Basin Backpacking 3
Kullaberg63 Circling Seven Gables Peak, John Muir Wilderness. Backpacking 14
D John Muir Trail: Devil's Postpile to Horseshoe Meadow Backpacking 7
isleroyaleguy John Muir Trail 2016 INVITE Trip Planning 0
isleroyaleguy Invite John Muir trail 2016 Meet Up (Members Only) 3
P John Day Fossil Beds National Monument Trip Planning 4
D John Muir Trail: Yosemite to Red's Meadow Backpacking 8
D Horseshoe Canyon or San Rafael Swell? Trip Planning 9
regehr Lower Horseshoe Canyon and Big Spring Trip Planning 7
Jeremy C Early season run to Horseshoe Basin Hiking & Camping 7
norwegianxplorer Mt Whitney Virtual Hike via Horseshoe Meadows & Mt Langley, Sequoia Kings Canyon National Park Backpacking 1
Mikjik86 Video Hiking/Camping San Rafael Swell/Goblin Valley/Horseshoe Canyon - Feb 2019 Hiking & Camping 2
Udink Lower Horseshoe Canyon Hiking & Camping 0
Kullaberg63 Horsethief to Horseshoe, a November packraft trip Backpacking 12
Kullaberg63 Horseshoe Canyon question - complete descent, non technical Trip Planning 1
Kullaberg63 circling horseshoe/millard via bike and packraft Everything Else 9
IntrepidXJ Birthday Arch & Horseshoe Bend Hiking & Camping 3
C Horseshoe canyon and Water Canyon (Canyonlands) Trip Planning 11
Udink Horseshoe Canyon Hiking & Camping 7
Yvonne Keg Knoll and Horseshoe Canyon Trip Planning 7
dennargle Horseshoe Canyon and Spur Fork. Hiking & Camping 4
Tyler Canyonlands NP Horseshoe Canyon Feb. 2008 Hiking & Camping 3