Black Mountain - May 22, 2021

scatman

A nice hike up Black Mountain on Saturday, between a rainy Friday and a rainy Sunday, with the foothill wildflowers putting on a show for us.

01.jpg
Katie on the trail

02.jpg
Dyer's Woad

03.jpg
Milk Vetch

04.jpg
Dalmatian Toadflax

05.jpg
More vetch

06.jpg
Hawksbeard

06b.jpg
@Rockskipper, I think I got this right this time - a stink beetle :thumbsup::thumbsup:

07.jpg
Common Yarrow

08.jpg
Death Camas

09.jpg
Hillside full of balsamroot

10.jpg
Lewis Flax

11.jpg
Mule's Ears, just beginning to bloom in the upper foothills

12.jpg
Arrowleafed Balsamroot - the dominant wildflower in the foothills, though in the lower elevations, they are starting to dry up a bit.

13.jpg
Ball-head Waterleaf

14.jpg
(L-R) Burro Peak, Grandview Peak, Black Mountain Ridge

15.jpg
Desert Paintbrush

16.jpg
Larkspur

17.jpg
Antelope Brush, Sage and Arrowleafed Balsamroot

18.jpg
Service Berry

19.jpg
Horned Lizard

20.jpg
Sniff, sniff :)

21.jpg
Bastard (no not me) Toadflax

22.jpg
Lookout Peak, viewed from the Black Mountain Ridge

23.jpg
Glacier Lilies

24.jpg
The Dude Benchmark, with the dried up Salt Lake beyond

25.jpg
Groundsel

26.jpg
Anyone know this shrub? @Outdoor_Fool ? Is it manzanita?

27.jpg
Swallowtail on the ridge

28.jpg
Phlox

29.jpg
More Balsamroot

30.jpg
Homeward bound.

Only rain? Two days snow here... Mtns getting hammered

Snowed pretty darn good on e driving over Togwotee yesterday. Love the flowers man. Let me know when you come this way.

Man! Th backcountry fashionista strikes again! That camo n tartan plaid kilt is da bomb...love th picks..

Anyone know this shrub? @Outdoor_Fool ? Is it manzanita?
@scatman Did you take a good look at the leaves? If the leaves are leathery/waxy with 3 prominent veins running up the leaf from the base, I would say it is one of the Ceanothus varieties. In CO, we had Ceanothus velutinus. Defintely has the growth form of Ceanothus.

@scatman Did you take a good look at the leaves? If the leaves are leathery/waxy with 3 prominent veins running up the leaf from the base, I would say it is one of the Ceanothus varieties. In CO, we had Ceanothus velutinus. Defintely has the growth form of Ceanothus.

I didn't take a closer look at the leaves, but I think you are right about the identification. It's called snowbrush ceanothus. I took a zoomed in shot and it looks to me like there are three prominent veins that run through the leaf. If you can enlarge the image, you'll see them. I'll check the waxy feel the next time I see them.

19.jpg

I've had to bushwhack though these many times along the ridges here in the Wasatch, which makes for slow going foe me anyway. I always wondered what they were. Thanks for your input.

I didn't take a closer look at the leaves, but I think you are right about the identification. It's called snowbrush ceanothus. I took a zoomed in shot and it looks to me like there are three prominent veins that run through the leaf. If you can enlarge the image, you'll see them. I'll check the waxy feel the next time I see them.

I've had to bushwhack though these many times along the ridges here in the Wasatch, which makes for slow going foe me anyway. I always wondered what they were. Thanks for your input.

Slow going for you? Naw... should be slow going for anyone who can feel pain!
I have scratches on my shins still from last weekend's bushwacking jaunt I took through it. Good to know the name so I can use it as a curse, like I do with tamarisk.

I like the attention to flora and fauna @scatman in these reports. Lean something new every time. The balsamroot and mule ears do look really nice in places too, and some lupine too, unless its just purple vetch.

Slow going for you? Naw... should be slow going for anyone who can feel pain!
I have scratches on my shins still from last weekend's bushwacking jaunt I took through it. Good to know the name so I can use it as a curse, like I do with tamarisk.

I like the attention to flora and fauna @scatman in these reports. Lean something new every time. The balsamroot and mule ears do look really nice in places too, and some lupine too, unless its just purple vetch.

I can picture you cursing, making your way along a ridge @Ugly. :) I had two nasty encounters with this snowbrush ceanothus a few years back when I was trying to tackle the Millcreek Ridge Route. First stretch was when I lost the trail coming off Millvue Peak (my fault), and the second lengthy encounter happened between Mount Aire and upper Burch Hollow. It wore me out for sure, but it certainly makes one appreciate a nice trail.

I did see some lupine just beginning to bloom - not a very good shot I'm afraid. This was the only lupine that was blooming that I saw on our hike.
10.jpg

Last edited: