Black Magic Canyon, Idaho April 2016

blueeyes

ephemeral excursionist
Easy to find, easy to hike...except it took us 3 hours to travel a whopping 3/4 of a mile down this canyon and about 15 min to walk back to the car using the dirt road. So many formations to explore, Spencer and I had a grand time crawling all over the place. I think we had been in the canyon for an hour when we crawled up and out to see that we had traveled about 300 feet. So I walked back to the car to return my jacket and tripod. Spent a few minutes photographing the dam and headed down the canyon some more. After exploring we found a hot springs on our way back to Idaho Falls and soaked.

bcp-0159.jpg
Spencer to give you some perspective.

bcp-0177.jpg
Rocks in a carved out bowl. It was in an awkward place. Spencer had to be my support while I tried to get this photo. So he is 6'4" and I was using his shoulders to balance while clinging to the rock. The formations and how the water and little rocks swirl around when the water is flowing fast and carve these little bowls fascinate me.

bcp-0189.jpg
Spencer

bcp-0194.jpg
Me

bcp-0264.jpg
So we haven't made it very far. This hike took way longer than I thought it would. We were going to go explore one of the caves near by but did not have enough time. Neither of us minded this spot was all we needed to entertain us for the day.

bcp-0267.jpg

bcp-0278.jpg

bcp-0280.jpg

bcp-0307.jpg

bcp-0309.jpg

bcp-0325.jpg

bcp-0363.jpg

bcp-0422.jpg

bcp-0443.jpg

bcp-0447.jpg

bcp-0467.jpg
Hot Springs Soak

bcp-0474.jpg

Careful visiting, not sure, but.......I believe water is still let out from the dam, flooding the canyon at times.....

Careful visiting, not sure, but.......I believe water is still let out from the dam, flooding the canyon at times.....
Yes in the summer for irrigation. Anyone looking to go should check with the BLM first. But good times are early spring and fall.

Very cool. So there is a damn but no water? Am I correct to assume that water flows there for part of the year?

Very cool. So there is a damn but no water? Am I correct to assume that water flows there for part of the year?

There is a diversion damn. You really should call ahead and make sure they are not releasing water from the Magic Valley Damn up above. I don't think the diversion damn functions anymore, many of the wood pieces were broke out of place. Most of the time I would say there is probably not water running through it. But as with any slot canyon know before you go.

Here is a link to an article about the canyon.
http://magicvalley.com/lifestyles/r...cle_6d8b66a6-47ca-11e1-8332-001871e3ce6c.html

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
DiscGo Black Magic Canyon (with kids) Hiking & Camping 5
River Black Magic Canyon Canyoneering 2
scatman Black Mountain Ridge - May 13, 2023 Hiking & Camping 49
TheMountainRabbit Black Lake (Rocky Mountain NP) - January 2023 Hiking & Camping 3
R Pony Express Trail, Black Rock to Simpson Springs Hiking & Camping 3
LarryBoy Is there anything technical in White Canyon above the Black Hole? Trip Planning 16
ram Black Hole 1-1-22 Canyoneering 1
marquis20 Day 1: Grand Teton Wilderness and Black Canyon of the Yellowstone - June 2021 Backpacking 0
J Death Valley Natl. Pk. A Black Mtns and Canyons Traverse Nov 30, 2021 Hiking & Camping 2
scatman Foothill Follies Part 2 - Black Mountain Ridge and City Creek Canyon Loop - November 11, 2021 Hiking & Camping 6
XID_AZ Poison Spring Canyon / Black Jump Fall 2021 Trip Planning 2
scatman Black Mountain - May 22, 2021 Hiking & Camping 9
J Death Valley NP Black Mountains and beyond Hiking Dec 19-20, 2020 Hiking & Camping 1
J North Cascades National Park Black and Corteo Peaks Traverse Aug 21-23, 2007 Retro Backpacking 3
Perry SOLD! For Sale: GoPro Hero 7 Black Gear 1
ram Black Hole 1-1-20 Canyoneering 4
TeamJenkins17 Black bear killing baby elk Photography 0
b.stark Black Hills February 2019 Hiking & Camping 2
ram Black Hole 1-1-19 Canyoneering 9
blueeyes Black Canyon Trail Arizona December 2018 Everything Else 10
Titans The Double Black Hangover. Hiking & Camping 23
Ugly Saturday in Black and White, with a smudge of Green Hiking & Camping 3
pstm13 Black Diamond Revolt Battery Charging Hack Gear 4
blueeyes Black Canyon Water Trail On The Water 16
R Badlands and black hills Backpacking 8
R Black hills trip advice Trip Planning 7
b.stark Black Hills Bummin' Hiking & Camping 9
b.stark Black Hills SD in winter? Trip Planning 7
LizardAZ Packrafting Black Canyon On The Water 3
AbinadiWitness Chicago Basin: Part 2: Sunlight & Windom Peaks, Black Canyon Camp, Mt. Peale, UT - 16 -18 Aug. 2017 Backpacking 2
AbinadiWitness Part 2: Wetterhorn, Matterhorn, Uncompahgre Peaks, Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP - CO Trip # 1 Backpacking 4
SteveR Happy Canyon via Black Jump? Trip Planning 29
Wanderlust073 Black Ridge Canyons Wilderness / Rattlesnake Canyon maps Trip Planning 6
WasatchWill UHT - Day 5: West Fork Black Fork to Olga Lake Backpacking 2
George_Washington_Hayduke Clearwater Canyon, Black Hole of White Canyon, Dark Canyon, Swett Canyon "Packraftoneering" Canyoneering 6
ram January 1st 2017- Black Hole Canyoneering 0
Rye Jones Black Dragon Debunked General Discussion 6
DrNed Black Dragon Wash Trip Planning 8
kansas Camping along rim of Black Canyon of the Gunnison NCA Trip Planning 1
CaptnKidd Black Dragon Canyon, Crack Canyon, Little Wild Horse (2011) Hiking & Camping 4
scatman Black Mountain - November 11, 2014 Hiking & Camping 5
Udink Upper Black Box Canyoneering 10
605troutbum Hello From the Black Hills, SD Noobs: Introduce yourself! 0
Laura Black and white or color-vote Photography 14
DrNed West Fork Black's Fork Trail Head Directions Trip Planning 6
IntrepidXJ Red Rock to Black Canyon Backpacking 3
J Anyone ever seen black widow spiders in Utah? General Discussion 49
Nick Lower Black Box Trip Planning 0
IntrepidXJ Black Friday in Range Creek Hiking & Camping 4
uintahiker Black Diamond Returns Gear 0