Black Hills SD in winter?

b.stark

Forever Wandering
May not be many people here too familiar with the place, but I'm toying with the idea of a quick trip up to the black hills maybe next month for a little sanity recovery. Haven't taken any time off work since July and I'm getting the itch for some travel, and the black hills are close enough to make it a pretty easy trip. anybody have some recommendations for good hikes up there, or if it's even feasible in the middle of the winter? Do they typically get a lot of snow up There? I'm not opposed to snowshoeing but don't own any. There is also some opportunity for fly fishing up there so that's another plus.

Guess the short version is: would it be worth spending 3-4 days in the black hills in january and what good hikes are there?

Open to other suggestions within reasonable driving distance of eastern Nebraska. I'd have at most 6 days including travel.

Edit to add I'd probably be hotel camping and day hiking. I'm not a huge fan of winter camping.

Sadly there is a large fire in the Custer state park area. not entirely sure how this will affect any potential plans.

Maybe you can get/borrow a copy of either of these:
Hiking the Black Hills Country: A Guide To More Than 50 Hikes In South Dakota And Wyoming (Regional Hiking Series)
or
Exploring the Black Hills and Badlands: A Guide for Hikers, Cross-Country Skiers, & Mountain Bikers

The fires are near custer state park in the south, but the bulk of the forest is unaffected (except for maybe smoke). I couldnt find the fire report on InciWeb, so if anyone can dig that up it would have more information. Last news report I saw said the fire was about 10% contained, but that is likely out of date.

There is plenty to do in the northern hills as well; near spearfish canyon there are good trails; both of the books @Reef&Ruins suggested are good.

The Black Elk wilderness is in the south near that abomination they call Rushmore, but i dont think it is affected by the fires at the moment. Plenty of good trails there.

To get a sense of snowfall here is the SnoTel data from the last 7 days at North Rapid Creek.

https://wcc.sc.egov.usda.gov/report...BS::value,TMAX::value,TMIN::value,TAVG::value

doesnt look too bad.

if youre staying in a hotel I would suggest the Lead/Deadwood area or Hill City. Driving in from Rapid every day is a pain.

The Hills are great. Enjoy the trip.

Let us know what you do.... that's a fun place to visit. And some of us do like the "abomination" that is Rushmore ( grin @scoags).

I've visited the area with family a couple times years ago, so I do have at least some familiarity with the area. even been to the abomination twice! that was back when pictures were made in film though. thanks for the extra info. when I'm more awake I'll grab the link I found that had some info on the fire. (Singing the night shift blues for now)

http://gpfireinfo.blogspot.com/ <-- Finally got around to posting the fire info that I saw (linked from the Wind Cave NPS site). Looks like it's in much better shape now.

thanks @b.stark for the info. it says there it was human caused, i wonder what the details are? also interested to see whether/how much the beetle kill was a factor.

enjoy the trip.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
b.stark Black Hills February 2019 Hiking & Camping 2
R Badlands and black hills Backpacking 8
R Black hills trip advice Trip Planning 7
b.stark Black Hills Bummin' Hiking & Camping 9
605troutbum Hello From the Black Hills, SD Noobs: Introduce yourself! 0
scatman Black Mountain Ridge - May 13, 2023 Hiking & Camping 49
TheMountainRabbit Black Lake (Rocky Mountain NP) - January 2023 Hiking & Camping 3
R Pony Express Trail, Black Rock to Simpson Springs Hiking & Camping 3
LarryBoy Is there anything technical in White Canyon above the Black Hole? Trip Planning 16
ram Black Hole 1-1-22 Canyoneering 1
marquis20 Day 1: Grand Teton Wilderness and Black Canyon of the Yellowstone - June 2021 Backpacking 0
J Death Valley Natl. Pk. A Black Mtns and Canyons Traverse Nov 30, 2021 Hiking & Camping 2
scatman Foothill Follies Part 2 - Black Mountain Ridge and City Creek Canyon Loop - November 11, 2021 Hiking & Camping 6
XID_AZ Poison Spring Canyon / Black Jump Fall 2021 Trip Planning 2
scatman Black Mountain - May 22, 2021 Hiking & Camping 9
J Death Valley NP Black Mountains and beyond Hiking Dec 19-20, 2020 Hiking & Camping 1
J North Cascades National Park Black and Corteo Peaks Traverse Aug 21-23, 2007 Retro Backpacking 3
Perry SOLD! For Sale: GoPro Hero 7 Black Gear 1
ram Black Hole 1-1-20 Canyoneering 4
TeamJenkins17 Black bear killing baby elk Photography 0
ram Black Hole 1-1-19 Canyoneering 9
blueeyes Black Canyon Trail Arizona December 2018 Everything Else 10
Titans The Double Black Hangover. Hiking & Camping 23
Ugly Saturday in Black and White, with a smudge of Green Hiking & Camping 3
pstm13 Black Diamond Revolt Battery Charging Hack Gear 4
blueeyes Black Canyon Water Trail On The Water 16
LizardAZ Packrafting Black Canyon On The Water 3
AbinadiWitness Chicago Basin: Part 2: Sunlight & Windom Peaks, Black Canyon Camp, Mt. Peale, UT - 16 -18 Aug. 2017 Backpacking 2
AbinadiWitness Part 2: Wetterhorn, Matterhorn, Uncompahgre Peaks, Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP - CO Trip # 1 Backpacking 4
SteveR Happy Canyon via Black Jump? Trip Planning 29
Wanderlust073 Black Ridge Canyons Wilderness / Rattlesnake Canyon maps Trip Planning 6
WasatchWill UHT - Day 5: West Fork Black Fork to Olga Lake Backpacking 2
George_Washington_Hayduke Clearwater Canyon, Black Hole of White Canyon, Dark Canyon, Swett Canyon "Packraftoneering" Canyoneering 6
ram January 1st 2017- Black Hole Canyoneering 0
Rye Jones Black Dragon Debunked General Discussion 6
blueeyes Black Magic Canyon, Idaho April 2016 Canyoneering 8
DrNed Black Dragon Wash Trip Planning 8
DiscGo Black Magic Canyon (with kids) Hiking & Camping 5
kansas Camping along rim of Black Canyon of the Gunnison NCA Trip Planning 1
CaptnKidd Black Dragon Canyon, Crack Canyon, Little Wild Horse (2011) Hiking & Camping 4
scatman Black Mountain - November 11, 2014 Hiking & Camping 5
Udink Upper Black Box Canyoneering 10
Laura Black and white or color-vote Photography 14
DrNed West Fork Black's Fork Trail Head Directions Trip Planning 6
IntrepidXJ Red Rock to Black Canyon Backpacking 3
J Anyone ever seen black widow spiders in Utah? General Discussion 49
Nick Lower Black Box Trip Planning 0
IntrepidXJ Black Friday in Range Creek Hiking & Camping 4
uintahiker Black Diamond Returns Gear 0
River Black Magic Canyon Canyoneering 2