Black Dragon Canyon, Crack Canyon, Little Wild Horse (2011)

CaptnKidd

This is one of my all time favorite trips down to Southern Utah.

First up, Black Dragon Canyon. Driving my huge Tahoe all the way through this canyon was fun but I took a beating. My friends who had smaller vehicles could just go around all of the obstacles, I had to drive over everything. We met some guys on 4 Wheeler's heading from the other direction. I stopped and talked to them for a few becasue we entered this canyon pretty late in the day and I wasn't sure how far in we were or how long we had to go (this was an unplanned side trip on this outing). I could tell by the looks on their faces they weren't sure about a vehicle that size going through but I made it and it was a blast. I found out on this forum that I missed a pretty cool cave at the end near the rock art (I think). Now I have a reason to head back down there.

IMG_0232.JPG
Tahoe getting it done!
IMG_0238.JPG

IMG_0271.JPG

IMG_0274.JPG

IMG_0275.JPG IMG_0290.JPG

IMG_0303.JPG

IMG_0304.JPG

Now it's time for some hiking! First up is Crack Canyon. This is still one of my all time favorites. It's a huge canyon that really has some cool narrow spots and at the end just drops away. I really want to go back and explore this canyon some more. Some of these pictures might be out of order, not sure exactly how that happened. I have been going on these yearly trips for about 6 years now and I have never kept a good trip log of all that we did. I plan to rectify that this year and detail out more of my trips so that I can remember years later what I did and what I liked.

IMG_0331.JPG

IMG_0353.JPG

IMG_0354.JPG
IMG_0355.JPG

IMG_0358.JPG IMG_0362.JPG

IMG_0395.JPG IMG_0405.JPG

IMG_0413.JPG

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

Wow, tons of water in LWHC. I tried driving through Black Dragon once and turned around. We came in from the top but it got too nasty. Might have kept going if there had been another vehicle, but I was solo and it wasn't long after getting really really stuck in Muddy Creek so I was feeling timid. :)

Yeah, that is stuck! The mud down there is so sticky. Lucky you were able to get some help. I have been in a few crazy situations off roading. And the vehicle you have doesn't seem to matter much because to more built it is, the better it gets stuck, that's been my experience anyway.

Nice report and pics. Looks like a really cool area.

I have never kept a good trip log of all that we did. I plan to rectify that this year and detail out more of my trips so that I can remember years later what I did and what I liked.

I have the same regret. This is the first year I have a log of everything I did and it's basically just my dropbox file structure because I started to take pictures. Better to start late then never.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Rye Jones Black Dragon Debunked General Discussion 6
DrNed Black Dragon Wash Trip Planning 8
Michael Black Dragon Slickrock 'Trail' - San Rafael Reef, 6-2011 Hiking & Camping 5
Nick North Swell: Black Dragon, Wedge & Buckhorn Hiking & Camping 3
scatman Black Mountain Ridge - May 13, 2023 Hiking & Camping 49
TheMountainRabbit Black Lake (Rocky Mountain NP) - January 2023 Hiking & Camping 3
R Pony Express Trail, Black Rock to Simpson Springs Hiking & Camping 3
LarryBoy Is there anything technical in White Canyon above the Black Hole? Trip Planning 16
ram Black Hole 1-1-22 Canyoneering 1
marquis20 Day 1: Grand Teton Wilderness and Black Canyon of the Yellowstone - June 2021 Backpacking 0
J Death Valley Natl. Pk. A Black Mtns and Canyons Traverse Nov 30, 2021 Hiking & Camping 2
scatman Foothill Follies Part 2 - Black Mountain Ridge and City Creek Canyon Loop - November 11, 2021 Hiking & Camping 6
XID_AZ Poison Spring Canyon / Black Jump Fall 2021 Trip Planning 2
scatman Black Mountain - May 22, 2021 Hiking & Camping 9
J Death Valley NP Black Mountains and beyond Hiking Dec 19-20, 2020 Hiking & Camping 1
J North Cascades National Park Black and Corteo Peaks Traverse Aug 21-23, 2007 Retro Backpacking 3
Perry SOLD! For Sale: GoPro Hero 7 Black Gear 1
ram Black Hole 1-1-20 Canyoneering 4
TeamJenkins17 Black bear killing baby elk Photography 0
b.stark Black Hills February 2019 Hiking & Camping 2
ram Black Hole 1-1-19 Canyoneering 9
blueeyes Black Canyon Trail Arizona December 2018 Everything Else 10
Titans The Double Black Hangover. Hiking & Camping 23
Ugly Saturday in Black and White, with a smudge of Green Hiking & Camping 3
pstm13 Black Diamond Revolt Battery Charging Hack Gear 4
blueeyes Black Canyon Water Trail On The Water 16
R Badlands and black hills Backpacking 8
R Black hills trip advice Trip Planning 7
b.stark Black Hills Bummin' Hiking & Camping 9
b.stark Black Hills SD in winter? Trip Planning 7
LizardAZ Packrafting Black Canyon On The Water 3
AbinadiWitness Chicago Basin: Part 2: Sunlight & Windom Peaks, Black Canyon Camp, Mt. Peale, UT - 16 -18 Aug. 2017 Backpacking 2
AbinadiWitness Part 2: Wetterhorn, Matterhorn, Uncompahgre Peaks, Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP - CO Trip # 1 Backpacking 4
SteveR Happy Canyon via Black Jump? Trip Planning 29
Wanderlust073 Black Ridge Canyons Wilderness / Rattlesnake Canyon maps Trip Planning 6
WasatchWill UHT - Day 5: West Fork Black Fork to Olga Lake Backpacking 2
George_Washington_Hayduke Clearwater Canyon, Black Hole of White Canyon, Dark Canyon, Swett Canyon "Packraftoneering" Canyoneering 6
ram January 1st 2017- Black Hole Canyoneering 0
blueeyes Black Magic Canyon, Idaho April 2016 Canyoneering 8
DiscGo Black Magic Canyon (with kids) Hiking & Camping 5
kansas Camping along rim of Black Canyon of the Gunnison NCA Trip Planning 1
scatman Black Mountain - November 11, 2014 Hiking & Camping 5
Udink Upper Black Box Canyoneering 10
605troutbum Hello From the Black Hills, SD Noobs: Introduce yourself! 0
Laura Black and white or color-vote Photography 14
DrNed West Fork Black's Fork Trail Head Directions Trip Planning 6
IntrepidXJ Red Rock to Black Canyon Backpacking 3
J Anyone ever seen black widow spiders in Utah? General Discussion 49
Nick Lower Black Box Trip Planning 0