Big Tents

I'm not familiar with the big house 4, but I agree with Nick that REI's tents are much better built (and designed) than Big Agnus tents in general.

The REI Basecamp series has four crossing poles (plus one for the big front vestibule) instead of the two and a quarter that the Big Agnes does. That will make a huge difference. We have ridden out some amazing wind storms in our Basecamp 6 and a full on snow storm with gale winds that were so bad a camping neighbor worried that we might blow away but that tent stood tall and barely shook at all. I had it nailed down good with full guylines.

Done rule out a 6 person tent like the REI Basecamp 6. We use our for two, put our bedrolls, Helinox chairs and a little table in there for a real homey place to go in the cold wind at night. The huge vestibule is a nice shade shelter during hot sunny times you want to relax and cook or read a book. You aren't going to backpack with either of them anyway so a little more space is not a bad thing.

and right now until July 22 REI has a 25% off coupon on all REI branded goods so that tent would come down in price a good bit. Later in the year they will come down a little more, usually on their big sales.

Yes, Wyatt brought up a good point about the REI 25% off coupon going on right now. We have sold "several" Basecamp tents since May, and people seem to love them. Obviously I have no need for one that big, so I have no first hand experience with them.

And yeah, REI doesn't replace tent poles. There is a place up here in Vancouver, WA called tentpole technologies (http://tentpoletechnologies.com) that does wonderful work. I am sure there is a place local that does this type of repairs? I guess I will find out next month :)

I'm a bit embarrassed to admit to the 6 person tent I just bought a few weeks ago! =) I couldn't justify the $400ish that the nice tents are commanding. We ended up going pretty budget with the Alps Mountaineering Meremac 6. It's simple, cheap, and has its low points, but I'm hoping it will serve it's intended purpose for us. I like that it has two doors.

When we rolled it out in the backyard...my first thoughts were, "What have we done?" "This thing it TOO big!" The only other tents I've owned have been 2 person backpacking tents. So the 10x10 ft footprint of this tent wowed me. It's so cavernous compared to what I'm used it. Anyhow...here's a picture of our new piece of gear. Don't make too much fun! =)

2015-06-28 20.55.04.jpg

You guys have no idea how jeleaus I get when I see gigantic mountains like this literally right behind your backyard fence.

We are pretty spoiled out here. I think the greener mountain on the right is a ridge leading up to Spanish Fork Peak.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
scatman Rockskipper's Big Adventure Backpacking 8
wabenho Big Pine Lakes – John Muir Wilderness Backpacking 6
J Hopewell Big Woods Southeast PA Trails, Jan 1, 2023 Hiking & Camping 0
wsp_scott Big South Fork Bikepacking Backpacking 1
SteveR Big Spring-Elephant Canyon dayhike. With free bonus vacation pix! Hiking & Camping 13
T How big are the Mirror Lake campgrounds in the Porkies? Trip Planning 6
scatman Big Willow Canyon - June 11, 2022 Hiking & Camping 33
BJett Big South Fork National River & Recreation Area Packraft/Backpack Loop (TN) Backpacking 6
Jackson Big Agnes Tent Durability Gear 11
Rockskipper Big Day - Please participate, esp. Scatman! General Discussion 9
LarryBoy SLC: Terrace Hills Drive to Big Mountain Peak Trip Planning 16
CodyL Winds- Big water slide Trip Planning 3
Outdoor_Fool A week in the Big Belly Backpacking 20
WasatchWill WRHR: Day 1 - Big Sandy to Cirque of the Towers Backpacking 19
regehr Lower Horseshoe Canyon and Big Spring Trip Planning 7
wsp_scott Honey Creek (Big South Fork) Backpacking 9
J Death Valley Natl. Pk: Funeral Pk, Slit Canyon, and Big Dune. Dec 21-22, 2020 Hiking & Camping 1
wsp_scott Big South Fork Views Backpacking 14
Gunnahafta Green River <> Big Sandy WIND RIVER RANGE Trip Planning 1
norwegianxplorer Big SEKI loop, Sequoia Kings Canyon Backpacking 1
J Pahranagat Country: Big, open, room to roam Nov.9-10, 2019 Hiking & Camping 0
Tim Valentine Big Pine Creek Eastern Sierra Backpacking 10
NorthwestWanderer My Yearly big timelapse video 2019 General Discussion 10
pstm13 A Family Trip in the Winds: Big Sandy and the Cirque Backpacking 11
misSOULa Montana's Bitterroot Mountains: Big Creek Lakes and Ranger Point Backpacking 2
stevecochranephotography Desert Winter Run Off - Big Dominguez Canyon Hiking & Camping 2
NorthwestWanderer Big Four Ice Caves Hiking & Camping 1
toddrparr Easy family backpacking in Big Thicket Preserve, Texas Trip Planning 0
Scott Chandler Starting Out 2019 in Big Sur Hiking & Camping 10
Born to Hike Windriver 36 mile loop: Skull Lake, Washakie Pass, South Fork Lakes, Lizard Head Trail, The Cirque, Big Sandy Lake Backpacking 6
Bob Big Agnes coupon Gear 1
Mike Jones Big Sur or Zion Next Week? Trip Planning 20
B Upgrading Big Agnes tent question Gear 10
Perry Posting Panoramas - File Too Big Questions, Suggestions & Support 4
Tim Valentine Biking Big Sur Everything Else 6
wsp_scott Packrafting the Big South Fork (KY) On The Water 7
Seamus NYC weekend tripper, occasional big treks! Noobs: Introduce yourself! 2
Perry Gregory Zulu 30 - Too Big for a Day Pack? Gear 6
S White Cloud route, Big Boulder Lakes to Boulder Chain Lakes Trip Planning 3
Eugene Paria Canyon from White House to Big Spring Backpacking 3
kimbur96 Tarptent Double Rainbow or Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL2? Gear 2
hamtron5000 Big Dominguez Canyon Overnight Backpacking 0
SKLund Big Agnes Bag Gear 6
SKLund Dromedary, Platypus, or Big Soda Bottle? Gear 27
Adventure monkey Steve Allen's exit out of Happy Canyon to the Big Ridge. Trip Planning 17
piper01 Big Bend National Park, Thanksgiving 2016 (part 2) Hiking & Camping 4
piper01 Big Bend National Park, Thanksgiving 2016 (part 1) Hiking & Camping 0
Scott Chandler Highlights From a Week in Big Bend NP Hiking & Camping 11
SKLund How Big a Pack for Long Trips Gear 32
wsp_scott Big South Fork (KY) Backpacking 3