Best place to live?

I live in Central Utah and find that it works really well for outdoor activities. You have a lot of options within two or three hours. They do have a smaller walmart in town, and Costco is only 45min away. If you are looking to avoid places that are very conservative then Central Utah might not be a good choice. Most of the small towns around here a very conservative. I haven't really had a problem with it though. I have family members that live up in Driggs and they have been telling me that the cost of living has going up. They have been getting the overflow from Jackson.

I would just stay out if the west. I hear the east is the place to be.[emoji41] Or Canada.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Whole heartedly agree! Nothing out here in the west to see.
And Steamboat? ........ on that Colorado list??? No !!! Then you might have to ski or ride for winter fun..... though it kinda fits almost too much of the criteria. Nah...too expensive. The east or Canada for sure!

Now I live here in Jackson, Teton County, Wyoming and have lived here for many a year. I like it here and I like Wyoming but there is also other good areas in the west.

But to add at the beginning: Best Place to Live ... Someplace Wild!!! (Added after I typed what is below)

But do think several other things that should be considered is:
1.) Taxes
2.) How close to Wilderness Country
3.) How many people live in the area, I do not not not like overpopulated areas and Forget Cities!!! And anymore it seems Jackson is too populated.

As for here in Jackson, one can walk out of town into the Wilderness stretching for miles and miles. Also Wyoming is a great state when it comes to taxes with NO State Income Tax and actually low sales taxes. Another place I like is the Cody area here in Wyoming. Also Southern Utah would be a good place to be except summer when for myself it would be too dang hot. But Utah has both sales taxes and a state Income tax so for myself, less then an option. Places in Washington State would be nice ... like the Olympic Peninsula if one like the rain. Washington state has plenty of wilderness and no state income tax. Alaska is also another superb option. I myself after the last 5 summer visiting Alaska have very seriously contemplated moving up to the state.

And another thing to consider, is living like the birds do if one can live this way ... moving to various locations in the year with regards to the weather and other factors. And why base one life on one's job ... we all need to Enjoy Life!

Actually there is many good places thru out the United States. Now every place has something to offer. It all depends on what one wants out of life. But in today's modern world, I think 2/3rds of the population of the country now reside in major metropolitan area which i think is a shame. Now take a look at the population of the following states combined ... Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, North and South Dakota. Now all of these states combined has a population of maybe 5 to 5 and a half million people possibly. How many of our large major metropolitan areas will have more then this amount. No Thanks to living in those major metropolitan areas!

But for myself, am 61 and so soon sometime will start being on Social Security. And my thoughts now ... just go back into the wilds to live 24/7 year round in the various wild places that remain. North to the high mountains in the summer and down to the low country in the winter. And there is still so much wild country left out there that one will never never see it all.

Hope this all makes sense. Wishing Everyone the best!

Well I recommend my hood of course, Santa Fe. Lack of employment is a big issue here. ABQ fits the bill as well. Much cheaper but bigger and crime is an issue.

Honestly, don't overlook Butte. We've got an impressive amount of options for hiking/backpacking right out our back door. If you're into mountain biking, we host one of the best mountain bike races in the West every July. And if you're into national parks, we are nicely situated between Yellowstone and Glacier.

We may not have all of the amenities of Missoula or Bozeman, but our lower cost of living more than makes up for it, IMO.

You just have to be able to tolerate an old mining town with a "colorful" history and a big hole in the ground...

But watch out where you plant a garden--------

I spent a couple decades sampling/analyzing soil test pits in Butte and Anaconda and despite cleanup efforts, a lot of really nasty stuff still hiding there.

And what ever you do, don't come to Bozeman. Way to damn many people moving here and the medium price of a home in the city limits is about 400k. That said, every criteria stated is easily met along with some REALLY good skiing-all within minutes of the city limits.

But watch out where you plant a garden--------

I spent a couple decades sampling/analyzing soil test pits in Butte and Anaconda and despite cleanup efforts, a lot of really nasty stuff still hiding there.

You mean that black slag isn't good garden soil? HAHA, makes for nice bunkers at the golf course, though...

No, but seriously, the outdoor opportunities here are endless, but yes Butte and Anaconda have their own environmental drawbacks.

An interesting article that sorta applies - maybe? not much? not at all. :)

Middle of Nowhere

Man, you have to be hard core to live in any of the first three of those. Colder than hell in the winter and pretty much constant wind. Hotter than hell in the summer. And a long, long ways from any real mountains although the Little Rockies have a few nice nooks and cranny's that Pegasus Gold managed to miss. The coldest job I ever endured was drilling holes on the top of the Little Rockies in January.

Man, you have to be hard core to live in any of the first three of those. Colder than hell in the winter and pretty much constant wind. Hotter than hell in the summer. And a long, long ways from any real mountains although the Little Rockies have a few nice nooks and cranny's that Pegasus Gold managed to miss. The coldest job I ever endured was drilling holes on the top of the Little Rockies in January.
Interesting, John. Your comments had me confused until I did some research and found there were other mountains called Little Rockies besides our Utah mountains! :) Now I am intrigued. What about yours? Ours are almost like a tacked-on southern extension of the Henry Mountains. No real roads but now some semi-developed climbing crags and few visitors. @Jammer walked through them on one of his cross-Utah adventures I believe.

Screen Shot 2018-02-23 at 14.26.07 PM.png

Interesting, John. Your comments had me confused until I did some research and found there were other mountains called Little Rockies besides our Utah mountains! :) Now I am intrigued. What about yours? Ours are almost like a tacked-on southern extension of the Henry Mountains. No real roads but now some semi-developed climbing crags and few visitors. @Jammer walked through them on one of his cross-Utah adventures I believe.

View attachment 61916
Here's the Montana version
40447337661_0f74b5703b_h.jpg

Ours don't have any close neighbors. The old mining ghost or sort of ghost towns of Zortman (east side) and Landusky (sw side) are worth a visit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Rocky_Mountains

What did you find when you were drilling?
Waste rock------

We were installing all sorts of fancy, expensive instrumentation and both gas and liquid phase sampling ability in a very large waste rock dump to obtain data to model acid production potential. A successful endeavor.

Waste rock------

We were installing all sorts of fancy, expensive instrumentation and both gas and liquid phase sampling ability in a very large waste rock dump to obtain data to model acid production potential. A successful endeavor.
Do tell, if you care to... Modeling acid production to approximate ground water pollution risk? Expensive instrumentation? GC/MS? pressure/temperature probes? underground GPS?

I live north of Denver in Fort Collins. Sadly we have ZERO hiking, mountain biking, backpacking opportunities, mountains, or winter sports. We do not have any good stores and we are not an easy drive to a large city and convenient airport. I definitely recommend you scratch off this area from your prospective list.

I live north of Denver in Fort Collins. Sadly we have ZERO hiking, mountain biking, backpacking opportunities, mountains, or winter sports. We do not have any good stores and we are not an easy drive to a large city and convenient airport. I definitely recommend you scratch off this area from your prospective list.

ROFL. Nice try Shirt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely Colorado over Idaho. Idaho is just a hot house for potatoes. Nothing else to see here. I provide a list of 40 things to do in Fort Collins http://www.coloradoan.com/story/entertainment/2017/06/08/things-do-fort-collins-summer/365354001/

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk