Best of 2018

What a fantastic year, Nick! Congrats!

You guys all inspire me to do better.

This year was great for me until about July. I was in Montana and on my way to Tuktoyaktuk when I got bit on both legs by a grizzly (actually my dog, but a bear sounds more adventurous), which pretty much shut me down for three months (infection). Then just as I was about ready to go back out, I contracted an upper respiratory virus that hit me hard for a month. I'm actually still recovering from that one, but things are looking up.

Next year will be better, as I'm starting it out in a cabin near the Yellowstone border. I hope to do some wildlife photography, which is my only real interest in life, other than maps and coffee and hiking and dogs and BCP (not necessarily in that order). I'm also hoping this is the year I get to meet some of the most fantastic people ever - the BCP members!

@Miya- to teach me to view things through new eyes

Oh what?! I am in here. Awwww...imma cry...(not sarcastic either lol)

My Favorites

0d5409ad2a41d4d25dbf2344386434e9.jpg

Sarah and Kestra at Graduation.

1bab8da0acc011105ec641c4119b70fe.jpg

Alaska Basin

b99660257c2bb6aa896cd6fa18334168.jpg

Titcomb Basin

a1ca79cc397fb09a846de38b1241230d.jpg

Kane Creek

aa7db6f0c2187c5c4c29cc3f1aea6c89.jpg

Sonoran Desert

28c1fa692ff8895d7696b5cb8023c54b.jpg

Whitney Pockets

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I wasn't sure where this retrospective was going to go. I didn't do much in 2018. I didn't make it to Zion NP until October for chrissakes. So it felt like this might get depressing. Well it did turn emotional. So evidently 2018 was not about where I went but who I did them with and the long time support that I lost.

The year started the frigid morning of the Super Blood Moon.
IMG_4280.jpg

I spent numerous mornings hiking back to this rare-ish Silar Pinchusion because I was determined to see it bloom.
IMG_7502.jpgIMG_7509.jpg

In early June I lost Phantom. Our cat that has been by my side for 14 years.
IMG_8003.jpg

Our trip to Glacier in June was highlighted by the documentation of the prior years Sprague Fire. It was a day of discussion and awe with @Jeffrey Chandler. Then the juxtaposition of the glorious forests of Glacier.

IMG_8339.jpgIMG_8376.jpgIMG_8393.jpgIMG_8396.jpgIMG_8418.jpgIMG_8423.jpg

Glacier June had a couple of frigid expeditions with Jeff.
IMG_8481.jpgIMG_8497.jpgIMG_8509.jpgIMG_8556.jpgIMG_8564.jpgIMG_8573.jpg

I did have a day in July to myself in Cedar Breaks that was pretty wonderful. The sunrise was ripe for contemplation.
IMG_9097.jpgIMG_9112.jpgIMG_9205.jpgIMG_9236.jpgIMG_9254.jpg

August found the entire chandlerwest crew in Glacier, with @Scott Chandler spending the entire week. Sharing Jeff and my tradition of pizza, tator tots, ice cream and Weinhardt's Soda every night after a long days of adventuring.
IMG_9400.jpgIMG_9408.jpgIMG_9410.jpgIMG_9414.jpgIMG_9425.jpgIMG_9459.jpg

Thanks to @Artemus and @Rockskipper, my blue jeans and flannel shirts enjoyed their 15 minutes of fame on BCP !!!! My boys wouldn't be caught with jeans but they can still rock the flannel on the trail.
IMG_9547.jpgIMG_9620.jpgIMG_9636.jpgIMG_9650.jpgIMG_9658.jpgIMG_9670.jpgIMG_9677.jpgIMG_9779.jpgIMG_9783.jpgIMG_9790.jpg
IMG_0007-2.jpg

September I found myself at Scott's for a few days. He shared the wonder of The Needles. As I contemplated passing out on that day I wondered how Scott would get me back to the car. Sort of turned into him metaphorically holding a carrot in front of this donkey.
IMG_0752.jpgIMG_0819.jpgIMG_0833.jpgIMG_0885.jpgIMG_0913.jpgIMG_0928.jpg

Autumn in the La Sals. Sunset at Dead Horse Point. Afterwards @Scott Chandler drug out the telescope and gave me a private night sky program! Then I got to do a couple things during the morning at Arches NP that I always wanted to do.
IMG_0966.jpgIMG_1035.jpgIMG_1042.jpgIMG_1081.jpgIMG_1125.jpgIMG_1147.jpgIMG_1164.jpg

I finally got to Zion in October. Where I marked off one more drainage and ridgeline!
IMG_1280.jpg

The year ended with a chandlerwest day at The Yant. The year seems full with being with my sons. (As opposed to 2017, of wandering alone in the backcountry of Zion NP all year.......which I loved....don't get me wrong.)
IMG_1599.jpgIMG_1611.jpgIMG_1617.jpg

In November 25th my mom passed away. She was 96 years old and was fairly active except for the last three years. With numerous cross country trips she gave me an appreciation for seeing what was beyond the ridgeline. During the '80s she lead hundreds of people on bus trips world wide but especially to Alaska. In 1982 when I floated the idea to drive to Alaska she pointed out that the car surely had an available seat. She made us seat cushions to soften the bumps and off we went.
1aDawsonCreek.JPG1zAlaska1221.JPG

In 1984 while having my first, of many, existential crisis I found myself on a couple of her tours. We splurged and flew around Denali
5sxFlightseeing.JPG

Then in New Zealand we got out of the bus a few hours and hopped a small plane from Milford Sound to Queensland.
4aLakeAda.JPG

I have to tell this story. In 1982, when we drove, we spent the night at this "lodge". We had the small shed to the right. The bathroom was the big one on the left. In 1984 we were able to get the shot of the place.
6oTiekalRiver.JPG

Let's throw in a sunset from Tahiti
2bSunset.JPG

I want to express my appreciation to ALL the members of BCP for sharing their adventures with me and providing me a place to share mine!

Last edited:
I wasn't sure where this retrospective was going to go. I didn't do much in 2018. I didn't make it to Zion NP until October for chrissakes. So it felt like this might get depressing. Well it did turn emotional. So evidently 2018 was not about where I went but who I did them with and the long time support that I lost.

The year started the frigid morning of the Super Blood Moon.
View attachment 73807

I spent numerous mornings hiking back to this rare-ish Silar Pinchusion because I was determined to see it bloom.
View attachment 73808View attachment 73809

In early June I lost Phantom. Our cat that has been by my side for 14 years.
View attachment 73811

Our trip to Glacier in June was highlighted by the documentation of the prior years Sprague Fire. It was a day of discussion and awe with @Jeffrey Chandler. Then the juxtaposition of the glorious forests of Glacier.

View attachment 73812View attachment 73813View attachment 73814View attachment 73815View attachment 73816View attachment 73817

Glacier June had a couple of frigid expeditions with Jeff.
View attachment 73818View attachment 73819View attachment 73821View attachment 73822View attachment 73823View attachment 73825

I did have a day in July to myself in Cedar Breaks that was pretty wonderful. The sunrise was ripe for contemplation.
View attachment 73826View attachment 73827View attachment 73828View attachment 73829View attachment 73830

August found the entire chandlerwest crew in Glacier, with @Scott Chandler spending the entire week. Sharing Jeff and my tradition of pizza, tator tots, ice cream and Weinhardt's Soda every night after a long days of adventuring.
View attachment 73831View attachment 73832View attachment 73833View attachment 73834View attachment 73835View attachment 73836

Thanks to @Artemus and @Rockskipper, my blue jeans and flannel shirts enjoyed their 15 minutes of fame on BCP !!!! My boys wouldn't be caught with jeans but they can still rock the flannel on the trail.
View attachment 73837View attachment 73838View attachment 73839View attachment 73840View attachment 73841View attachment 73842View attachment 73843View attachment 73844View attachment 73845View attachment 73846
View attachment 73847

September I found myself at Scott's for a few days. He shared the wonder of The Needles. As I contemplated passing out on that day I wondered how Scott would get me back to the car. Sort of turned into him metaphorically holding a carrot in front of this donkey.
View attachment 73848View attachment 73849View attachment 73850View attachment 73851View attachment 73852View attachment 73853

Autumn in the La Sals. Sunset at Dead Horse Point. Afterwards @Scott Chandler drug out the telescope and gave me a private night sky program! Then I got to do a couple things during the morning at Arches NP that I always wanted to do.
View attachment 73854View attachment 73855View attachment 73856View attachment 73857View attachment 73858View attachment 73859View attachment 73860

I finally got to Zion in October. Where I marked off one more drainage and ridgeline!
View attachment 73861

The year ended with a chandlerwest day at The Yant. The year seems full with being with my sons. (As opposed to 2017, of wandering alone in the backcountry of Zion NP all year.......which I loved....don't get me wrong.)
View attachment 73862View attachment 73863View attachment 73864

In November 25th my mom passed away. She was 96 years old and was fairly active except for the last three years. With numerous cross country trips she gave me an appreciation for seeing what was beyond the ridgeline. During the '80s she lead hundreds of people on bus trips world wide but especially to Alaska. In 1982 when I floated the idea to drive to Alaska she pointed out that the car surely had an available seat. She made us seat cushions to soften the bumps and off we went.
View attachment 73865View attachment 73866

In 1984 while having my first, of many, existential crisis I found myself on a couple of her tours. We splurged and flew around Denali
View attachment 73867

Then in New Zealand we got out of the bus a few hours and hopped a small plane from Milford Sound to Queensland.
View attachment 73869

Let's throw in a sunset picture from Tahiti
View attachment 73872

I have to tell this story. In 1982, when we drove, we spent the night at this "lodge". We had the small shed to the right. The bathroom was the big one on the left. In 1984 we were able to get the shot of the place.
View attachment 73870

Thanks mom! No......Scott is not my clone.
View attachment 73871

I want to express my appreciation to ALL the members of BCP for sharing their adventures with me and providing me a place to share mine!

@chandlerwest - Im so sorry, 2018 was a very difficult year for you. It takes a long time to heal and fill the void. As time goes it will slowly get better.
Now we know, who gave you all the travel bug! I don't know how the bathroom could be bigger than the shed you slept in- fun picture.
It's also great that your sons were able to join you on some trips/hikes. We all love to read about your adventures and see your great photos. I sure know you made my day when you posted that TR from Moab with the photos from The Needles, it was awesome to read. We did part of that long Needles loop hike some weeks ago and I often thought of you that day, it's a tough hike (and we did Druid Arch on a separate day!).
We are looking forward to read more about your new adventures! What do you have planned for this year?