Best Backpacking in early June

muir_mountain

Wilderness Seeker
Late May-mid June has been the most awkward part of my summer to plan backpacking trips. The high mountains are still too snowy, and the low Canyon areas in CO and UT are getting too toasty... can you guys help me plan out this time? I'll have it all off work. I'm looking for 2-3 medium sized backpacking trips (4-5 days) to go on in early June.

Can you guys help me out with this? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

The desert canyons are fantastic that time of year. Just make sure they have plenty of water to keep cool in and you're golden. Hell, I like it out there in July and August when there's plenty of water.

The desert canyons are fantastic that time of year. Just make sure they have plenty of water to keep cool in and you're golden. Hell, I like it out there in July and August when there's plenty of water.
Any recommendations? Preferably wilderness, because I'm not sure if I can get decent permits now... I'm not too familiar with the canyon country...

Death Hollow and Boulder Creek are great choices up high in the Escalante drainage. It's cooler up there too, because of the elevation. The lower canyons are still great that time of year though. Coyote, Willow, Fortymile, etc. Those all have relatively short approaches and plenty of water to keep cool. Even something off the Egypt Bench would be fine if you plan your timing for the climb out for not the middle of the day. And that's just Escalante.

OK I'll look into it. Thanks

For something a little closer to you, look might into Dominguez Canyon here close to Grand Junction. The upper part of the canyon is higher so not too hot, and the lower canyon has plenty of water to cool off in. Though, this one might be too short for 4-5 days...

Death Hollow and Boulder Creek are great choices up high in the Escalante drainage. It's cooler up there too, because of the elevation. The lower canyons are still great that time of year though. Coyote, Willow, Fortymile, etc. Those all have relatively short approaches and plenty of water to keep cool. Even something off the Egypt Bench would be fine if you plan your timing for the climb out for not the middle of the day. And that's just Escalante.
Funny, I'm planning a trip to Death Hollow over Memorial Day!

To add - the upper reaches of Cedar Mesa would be great in early June (think 8k+), as well as the area south of Canyonlands (Beef Basin area).

You might also try something in Colorado, on the upper fringes of the Colorado Plateau. Not sure what Colorado Ntl Monument is at elevation-wise; that could be a good choice.

Death Hollow has me very intrigued! Is there a viable way to do a loop?

You could theoretically go in via airstrip, down Death Hollow, down the Escalante, then up Sand Creek and loop back to the airstrip. I've walked the lower portion of Sand Creek, and also a few miles down from where the BMT crosses it and it was nice. I've heard getting through it is a little difficult though. Bushwhacking and no trail unless you stay up and out of the watercourse. Or if you want to avoid all that, just hitch a ride from the Highway 12 bridge back up the hill to the turnoff to the air strip. Or hire a commercial shuttle for ~$80 or whatever they're charging nowadays. You could also do it all in reverse and bike shuttle down from airstrip to bridge, but I find walking down canyon to be much easier in places that floodwaters shape the direction of the plant life.

Thanks for the info! I'm thinking about going down Death Hollow via BMT, then up Sand Creek to the BMT and back out. I'm pretty sure Sand Creek is passable, and I'm always ready for an adventure!

One question, are the upper reaches of Death Hollow passable (north of BMT)? Is it worth exploring?

One question, are the upper reaches of Death Hollow passable (north of BMT)? Is it worth exploring?

Yes, but there's lots of extended cold swimming and obstacles. Probably better to descend and a wetsuit would be a good idea. Check out the recent trip report featuring Joey, Art and Bob.

Friends and I 'accidentally' did sand Creek 5 years ago. There were 32 Beaver dams at the time and in my opinion doesn't even match death hollow.

I used to dayhike Colorado's western Sangres a lot. No looping with this year's snowpack but you might make it well up some of those drainages, some of the most scenic you will find anywhere. Iceoff at Willow Lake [Lower] is truly amazing with the falls thundering into the Lake, very good reason most popular drainage on that side. South Zapata, South Crestone, so many exquisite lakes. Not sure how they are for snow but guessing pretty high this year?

Back