Beartooths, Becker Lake

Pringles

For the third year in a row, we did a librarian hike. We're down to two of us, but we still went for our three day hike. This year Nancy wanted to get back to a spot where she had hiked with her son, Becker Lake, so off we went.

The trailhead is at Island Lake, on the Beartooth Highway. We started at about 10 am. I was still dry when I took this picture. Those rocks LOOK dry... .

20180808_103930.jpg

The trail goes along the lakeshore, until it goes up a little valley to the next lake. This continues through a bunch of lakes, some large and some more like mud puddles.

20180808_111253.jpg

We are headed to a lake by the pointed peak (Lonesome Mountain) just to Nancy's right (above).

20180808_125121.jpg

The trail took us between these two lakes, and then across a scree field, and finally up a little ridge and into the Becker Lake valley.

20180808_130817.jpg

20180808_160431.jpg

We picked a pretty place and made camp. The flowers were exquisite. We explored the area, checking out the views.

20180808_181451.jpg

20180808_181838.jpg

The morning reflections were beautiful.

20180809_070914.jpg

The next day we day hiked to Alpine Lake. It was about 1.5 miles up the valley.

20180809_112645.jpg

The scenery along the way was nice. We passed a lichen colony that looked like an escapee from The Mod Squad.

20180809_113249.jpg

Eventually we came to the lake. We sat in the sun and had lunch. Afterwards, I lay on the grass and took a little nap. It was perfect.

20180809_121656.jpg

After a couple of hours here, we headed back to camp. This time we had views of our lake and the distant ridges.

20180809_143014.jpg

Back at camp, we again sat and looked at our surroundings.

20180809_153909.jpg

The next day, we packed and headed for the trailhead.

20180810_102552.jpg

20180810_103058.jpg

Some of these pictures remind me of an Edward Abby quote. After describing something amazingly beautiful, his next sentence was, "Routine stuff."

20180810_104204.jpg

It took a few hours to get to the trailhead, most of it beautiful, or evem better. Looking back, it seemed so far away... .

20180810_125617.jpg

Attachments

• 20180808_125121.jpg
    20180808_125121.jpg
    572.9 KB · Views: 58
  • 20180808_181451.jpg
    20180808_181451.jpg
    427 KB · Views: 40
Very cool. We are/were considering heading up to the Beartooth range for our annual "big trip". Thanks for sharing!

Mike, there are lots and lots of trails and options.

Vegan.Hiker, you're welcome.

Pringles

My guess is it is Link from the Mod Squad. Beautiful area Pringles.

Yes it is, Scatman. It’s hard for me to believe I live only a couple of hours away from the trailhead.
Pringles

Haven't seen much from the Beartooth Range, so this was pretty awesome! Thanks for posting the TR.

Thanks for sharing!
Such a lovely area.
Is Nancy wearing two packs in the first couple photos?

You’re welcome. It is a beautiful area, and it’s only a couple of hours from where I live. This hike convinced me that this area is a great weekend hike destination. I’m sure it would be more crowded, but easily done. But for the moment, there’s Yellowstone. :)

Yes, Nancy was wearing two packs. One is an Osprey something, and the other is a lightweight Cabela’s day pack. She wanted a way to organize her things, and the day pack did it for her. I must admit, when we went on the day hike, it was nice having HER carry lunch and my little odds and ends. As you can see, it didn’t slow her down, she was still first. (I’m the slowest hiker that still makes it. It’s a good enough motto... there are lots of people who WANT to go, but have no friends who would go with them. They can take me. They just have to wait once in a while.) The pack on a pack looks a little awkward, but doesn’t seem to bother her at all.

Pringles

Pringles, Here you are in front of the man that did 16 miles before 1:00 PM with his backpack on.... slowest hiker? Nah! Have a great day! Glad you had a good trip, awesome scenery.
dsc03995.jpg

Thanks. :)

You might want to try an overnight in the Beartooths sometime when you come. The scenery’s quite good, and so’s the trail.