Bear Food Storage - Hang or Canister?

If backpacking in a place with active bears but no regulations, hang food or pack bear canister?

• Hang it

Votes: 22 68.8%
  • Pack the canister

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Purple!!!

Votes: 4 12.5%

• Total voters
I think I've developed some lazy habits over the past couple years - when I'm only in marginal bear areas (the Uintas, Mid-Atlantic, Midwest, northern New England), I generally just use my food as a pillow. Probably not the smartest, in case a bear decides to use my pillow as food. However I do have way fewer problems with rodents that way, which is worth a lot to me. The philosophy is that, in areas where bears are more timid, they won't want to fight me over a bag of Dorritos. Obviously grizzly country, the Sierra, the ADKs, the Smokies, etc are a whole different ballgame. Not saying I do it right, but it's what's worked for me thus far.

There was a kid who lost his life to a bear while camping with his family a little over 10 years ago up in American Fork Canyon here along the Wasatch. People camping at the site the night before had left a cooler out that got tampered with. When the family of the boy came to the site for the following night, they weren't aware. Anyhow, after the tragedy had happened, they claimed to have kept a clean camp themselves. I think there's another thread here on BCP that contains a link to details about the investigation that later revealed there was in fact a candy bar and a soda that had been left in their tent that night. There have also been some other incidents with bears invading tents here in the Wasatch, again in Utah County, with a scout up Springville's Hobble Creek and another with a camper up the top of Provo's Rock Canyon. Fortunately, in those cases, there were only minor injuries to the victims who with the help of their camp mates were able to scare the bear away before more serious harm could be done. All of these were separate incidents at different times, but the point is, it only takes one incident to get a bear habituated, so even here among the Wasatch, I'll make the extra effort to hang whenever possible.

With that said, of those who believe that bears aren't known to be roaming around above 9500 feet in the Uintas, I'm more inclined to believe that. When I did Kings a couple years ago, a guy we were with, who is a big time hunter and done several backpacking and hunting trips in the Uintas and elsewhere, didn't hesitate at all about leaving his food and all in his pack next to his tent up in the higher end of Henrys Fork and was absolutely confident bears were not a threat up there.

There was a kid who lost his life to a bear while camping with his family a little over 10 years ago up in American Fork Canyon here along the Wasatch. People camping at the site the night before had left a cooler out that got tampered with. When the family of the boy came to the site for the following night, they weren't aware. Anyhow, after the tragedy had happened, they claimed to have kept a clean camp themselves. I think there's another thread here on BCP that contains a link to details about the investigation that later revealed there was in fact a candy bar and a soda that had been left in their tent that night. There have also been some other incidents with bears invading tents here in the Wasatch, again in Utah County, with a scout up Springville's Hobble Creek and another with a camper up the top of Provo's Rock Canyon. Fortunately, in those cases, there were only minor injuries to the victims who with the help of their camp mates were able to scare the bear away before more serious harm could be done. All of these were separate incidents at different times, but the point is, it only takes one incident to get a bear habituated, so even here among the Wasatch, I'll make the extra effort to hang whenever possible.

With that said, of those who believe that bears aren't known to be roaming around above 9500 feet in the Uintas, I'm more inclined to believe that. When I did Kings a couple years ago, a guy we were with, who is a big time hunter and done several backpacking and hunting trips in the Uintas and elsewhere, didn't hesitate at all about leaving his food and all in his pack next to his tent up in the higher end of Henrys Fork and was absolutely confident bears were not a threat up there.
To be honest I'm surprised that the Wasatch doesn't have more bear problems. Yes, it's a heavily visited range, but that's also what can cause the bears that do live here to be habituated. That being said, you're right to point out that elevation and other factors matter significantly. In higher elevations (say at White Pine Lake in LCC), I'd be pretty confident having a few midnight snacks stashed next to me.

With that said, of those who believe that bears aren't known to be roaming around above 9500 feet in the Uintas, I'm more inclined to believe that.

FWIW, my source of that information was a forest service backcountry ranger that I met around the junction of Yellowstone Creek trail and the Milk Lake trail (way out there!). The only ranger I've seen in many miles of walking through the Uintas. I take precautions at lower altitudes, but up high, I usually don't (in the Uintas). Sometimes I'll do a quick hang to be safe, but that's about it.

I've personally never seen any bear sign above the mid to high 8k range anywhere in the Uinta backcountry.

To be honest I'm surprised that the Wasatch doesn't have more bear problems. Yes, it's a heavily visited range, but that's also what can cause the bears that do live here to be habituated. That being said, you're right to point out that elevation and other factors matter significantly. In higher elevations (say at White Pine Lake in LCC), I'd be pretty confident having a few midnight snacks stashed next to me.

Same with Brighton Lakes up BCC. Lot of people do short backpacking trips up there and I'd still feel fine leaving my food out but would want to use an OP bag to hopefully keep rodents at bay. Though, I still don't know how a rodent was able to smell out my food in my Loksak at 5th Water last month and make an attempt to open it. I must have not done enough ensure it was fully sealed.

Crap...did I say Weminuche? Yeah, there are no grizzlies in Colorado! I meant to say the Washakie in Wyoming. Sorry! Hey, they both start with a W!

Yeah, the Washakie is bad for grizzlies. But that's what makes it exciting!
Just out of curiosity, where did you go in the Washakie. I've been looking at doing some trips out there. It's pretty hard to get any info on that area, much less trip reports. I looked at your website, but couldn't find anything on it. Thanks!

Just out of curiosity, where did you go in the Washakie. I've been looking at doing some trips out there. It's pretty hard to get any info on that area, much less trip reports. I looked at your website, but couldn't find anything on it. Thanks!
Sorry, I'm still in the slow process of migrating my trip reports from my old site to the new site.

Here's my trip report from Washakie on the old site: http://www.edarnell.com/Trips/page73.html

You'll probably be disappointed in the report, though, because we ended up not doing as much as we had planned. I took a friend who was not a backpacker and he got disinclined to do too much work. Every group we saw at the Wood River trailhead (there is an old mining town at the trailhead) was carrying a firearm. That place felt like bear central. We didn't see anything in our two days out there, of course.

The Washakie is still on my to-do list.

Sorry, I'm still in the slow process of migrating my trip reports from my old site to the new site.

Here's my trip report from Washakie on the old site: http://www.edarnell.com/Trips/page73.html

You'll probably be disappointed in the report, though, because we ended up not doing as much as we had planned. I took a friend who was not a backpacker and he got disinclined to do too much work. Every group we saw at the Wood River trailhead (there is an old mining town at the trailhead) was carrying a firearm. That place felt like bear central. We didn't see anything in our two days out there, of course.

The Washakie is still on my to-do list.
Thanks. You may find this post interesting if you haven't read it before. Scroll to the next to last post:
http://forums.yellowstone.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14114

When I camped below Younts Peak along the north fork of the Yellowstone, we ran into a hunting group who said they saw 14 grizzlies flipping rocks for moths near the pass earlier in the day. When we went over the pass, we only saw one. But it gave us a good show, it barreled down the trail towards us before taking a wide detour. I know there are moths sites on both Younts Peak and Thorofare Mountain. That link above mentions a few other places . We spent about 10 days looping around the Teton Wilderness near the Washakie border. We saw a lot of bear sign, but only 3 bears.

Thanks for the info!

As the evil wildlife repeler, I have only seen one black bear in the backcountry in my entire life. My wife considers this "skill" more of a blessing than I do.

I've been thinking of starting to use a canister. I really hate hanging my food at the end of a long day. I think I would carry an extra pound or two if it meant I could just drop it somewhere.

I don't know how often bears are above tree line in the Uintas. I know they feed on moths in the talus slopes, but I don't know how often. I do know that last year at Amethyst Lake someone had left a ziplog bag of sausages at one of the camp spots. It looked like they had been there for a few weeks, and hadn't been touched. I figured if there were ever bears up there they would have been eaten by then.

I don't know how often bears are above tree line in the Uintas. I know they feed on moths in the talus slopes, but I don't know how often.

According to the ranger I spoke to, basically never. Or even above 9500' for that matter (in the backcountry).

I do know that last year at Amethyst Lake someone had left a ziplog bag of sausages at one of the camp spots. It looked like they had been there for a few weeks, and hadn't been touched. I figured if there were ever bears up there they would have been eaten by then.

We camped at Stough Creek Lakes in the Winds a few years back. On the first morning, a girl with us climbed out of her tent to see an assortment of food spread around on a boulder near her tent that she hadn't noticed the night before. Granola bars, fruit roll ups, mac and cheese, etc. I guess someone just didn't want to pack it out so they left it??? I don't know how long it had been there, but nothing had eaten it.

There was a short period where I thought about the canister as well. Probably around when I created this thread. But then I bought one and contemplated carrying it and said screw that.

Thanks. You may find this post interesting if you haven't read it before. Scroll to the next to last post:
I spent several hours last night using that post to comb through topo maps. I wish that post had been there when I tried to find these places in 2010! But that post certainly hits home about how dangerous it could be to camp below those sites. Thanks for posting that.

Now I'm starting to think about next year's big trip...anyone want to look for grizzlies with me?

I spent several hours last night using that post to comb through topo maps. I wish that post had been there when I tried to find these places in 2010! But that post certainly hits home about how dangerous it could be to camp below those sites. Thanks for posting that.

Now I'm starting to think about next year's big trip...anyone want to look for grizzlies with me?

I'm in.

It sucks to have a trip like this come into my head right when I'm in the middle of planning a big trip for this summer. Now I want to do both.

I did buy the .454 Casull from the guy who went with me in 2010 that I've never taken anywhere...

I remember reading this a couple of years ago on the Ynet forum. Several interesting things in that post. 1) I had heard about such places but could never get anyone to identify a location. 2) When someone WOULD make mention of a location the post would quickly be removed. 3) The post was that users 1st and only post. Has anyone with feet on the ground been able to publicly verify the findings in that area? Last, when are you @Joey and @scatman planning a trip there?

Last edited:
When I researched it back in 2010, I was completely unable to find any hard evidence for specific locations, but I found general guidelines for the types of places to look. Going over the map with these locations in the post, they definitely fit the guidelines I found. In fact, I made a comment to my wife last night that it frustrated me that I didn't find these locations using those guidelines previously, because they fit the guidelines better than anything I found.

Last night I also found an outfitter who appears to be going to one of the same peaks for bear watching that he alluded to in that post.

I remember reading this a couple of years ago on the Ynet forum. Several interesting things in that post. 1) I had heard about such places but could never get anyone to identify a location. 2) When someone WOULD make mention of a location the post would quickly be removed. 3) The post was that users 1st and only post. Has anyone with feet on the ground been able to publicly verify the findings in that area? Last, when are you @Joey and @scatman planning a trip there?

Already been to two of the locations - They're called Yount's Peak and Thorofare Mountain.

Yeah I read about the locations from the post over 2 years ago. Prior to that it was hush hush. Even after I read about the locations (based on the YNet post) I never heard another word either confirming or denying the location. Wasn't SURE a place like that was possible. That's why I asked if anyone "with feet on the ground" had ever had an experience like that before in the GYE or surrounding area.