Bear cannister, need to buy one...

Seems like a few years ago I read that they don't approve the Ursacks because the bear can crush them......

Give us a full accounting of their views in light of this new testing and cert. please Joey.
Well, so far so good. Was told they are very slow to update their website, and to just bring the Ursack if I wanted to. If its approved by the IGBC, then it just hasn't been put on the Teton website yet. They really didn't seem to concerned about it.

that's great news about the ursack finally being IGBC certified. I wonder if you have to use the aluminum insert with it to be considered improved. Too bad mine is the older one without the spectra thread and is therefore not approved.

so how is everyone getting those awfully bulky bear canisters into a backpack?
Mine doesn't fit into my 36l Osprey pack which I wanted to use for a 4 nighter into Salt Creek Canyon in a couple of weeks:(
These canisters really suck.

that's what I probably need to do.
Such a bummer, compared to my 36L pack ,the 50L Osprey Aura pack is heavy. And it will probably fill up at least 1/3 of it just with the canister, maybe more. :(

Fill your canister with other items during the day while it's in your pack so there's no extra room inside.

My atmos 50 only weighs a couple ounces more than my stratos 36. And that extra suspension will carry the larger load better. Don't sweat it.

so how is everyone getting those awfully bulky bear canisters into a backpack?
Mine doesn't fit into my 36l Osprey pack which I wanted to use for a 4 nighter into Salt Creek Canyon in a couple of weeks:(
These canisters really suck.

Not sure which 36L pack or which canister you are using but I can fit my canister (bare boxer contender) which is 7.4" diameter by 8" length into the main compartment of my 36L Kestral along with my tent, sleeping bag, jetboil, and extra room for clothing. If you don't want to go up in pack size you may want to take a look at it, it's relatively cheap ($55) and pretty light at 1.6 lb (25.5 oz).

I have the Bearvault 450, which is pretty heavy and bulky with 8.7 x8.3 inches and an empty weight of hefty 2.1 lbs.
Beside my camping gear I also need to find a place in my pack for my tripod, camera plus 2 lenses, grad ND filter and other gear. I would probably leave all the extra clothes behind for having all my important camera gear. :)
Camera is the most important part I need.
I do go for 4 nights, that's a bit of food to carry.
Usually the 36 L Kyte is perfect for a 4 night trip, I just underestimated the bulky size of the bear vault.

After I decided that camp shoes and a second camera lens are an unnecessary luxury, I squeezed everything for four days into my 36 l Kyte. It should work. Pack without tripod is 24 lb, not a light weight, but doable for 4 days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think you're thinking too hard about it. Your pack is very light, especially for packing a bear canister. If Wikipedia is to be believed 'ultralight' is 10-20 pounds base (no food/water) and light is 20-30 base. Most people are way over that. You've got it dialed in. Put that lens and tripod back in and have a good time! ;)

The tripod definitely has to go. Simply left it in my studio and was too lazy to attach it for weighting in. I'm definitely no fan of bear canisters. Too much extra weight to carry along. There won' t be many trips in the future that require carrying one. Each extra pound of weight puts pressure on my knees which I try to avoid.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: DAA