Beach Backpacking and Creek Bed Sleeping

Nice trip report, great photos, great first attempt at astrophotography

what did you shoot the frog and slug with? It looks like you stuck the end of the lens right in the frog's face :)

Great trip report and photos! Loved It! Redwoods NP is the one place that I have never hiked. Again Great Photos! Loved the frog and the seals. Thanks a bunch for sharing.

As always, great photos. I especially like your close-ups and your selfies are plenty funny. Thanks for taking the time to share and for bringing a smile to your readers’ faces. Hike on!

Thank you for sharing. The pics were great. I visited Fern Canyon decades ago. It was guided tour only back then. I wonder why that changed.

Nice trip report, great photos, great first attempt at astrophotography

what did you shoot the frog and slug with? It looks like you stuck the end of the lens right in the frog's face :)

Thank you! I am just such an early sleeper that I have always been too lazy to try and shoot the stars! It was really challenging though, so hopefully I can make myself practice some more.

OOooOoo I basically was. The slug, I just laid down and took my time haha.
When I tore down my tent, the frog popped out and hid between that tree root, I sat down right next to it and waited for about 20 minutes for it to come out.
I had my macro 50mm, it has a minimum focus distance of 6.3” (which is why I bought it) so that is probably how close I was!

Redwoods NP is the one place that I have never hiked.
I hope you get to go! There is something eerie to me, walking in areas like this. Feels much older...or just more creepy then when I go into the mountains haha. Not sure why?!

Thank you for sharing. The pics were great. I visited Fern Canyon decades ago. It was guided tour only back then. I wonder why that changed.

Oh wow, really?? Well it definitely seemed well maintained and not vandalized in anyway. I wonder too... I will have to look into that!

Thank you! I am just such an early sleeper that I have always been too lazy to try and shoot the stars! It was really challenging though, so hopefully I can make myself practice some more.

OOooOoo I basically was. The slug, I just laid down and took my time haha.
When I tore down my tent, the frog popped out and hid between that tree root, I sat down right next to it and waited for about 20 minutes for it to come out.
I had my macro 50mm, it has a minimum focus distance of 6.3” (which is why I bought it) so that is probably how close I was!

I figured you might have had a macro lens. You have way more patience than I do, I would have waited about 2 minutes for the frog to appear and then got distracted and forgot all about it :)

I figured you might have had a macro lens. You have way more patience than I do, I would have waited about 2 minutes for the frog to appear and then got distracted and forgot all about it :)

Haha as long as I don't have my pack on my back, I can be niiiice and patient :geek: Also, I had been trying to find the frog on trail, so was extra excited to see it. I had never seen one before and really wanted to see how red it was. I got lucky!

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Hayden Valley, Trout Creek, Beach Lake, and Arnica Creek Meadows. September 11, 2022. Hiking & Camping 7
NorthwestWanderer Olympic Peninsula - Rialto Beach / Hole in the Wall / & 2 Bonus Waterfalls Hiking & Camping 6
NorthwestWanderer Olympic Pen. - Kalaloch CG, Third Beach & Roosevelt Beach Hiking & Camping 8
George_Washington_Hayduke Price River (Utah) Packrafting @200cfs From Woodside to Swasey Beach On The Water 4
Ben Olympic NP, Pacific Coast, Rialto Beach to Ozette River Backpacking 19
scatman Beach and Dryad Lakes - Yellowstone National Park - 8/4/15 Hiking & Camping 8
uintahiker Cobble Beach Oregon and the Tide Pools Everything Else 3
B 3P Backpacking Tent Recommendation and Nemo Aurora feedback Gear 3
TrailScot Capitol Reef NP - 5 Day Backpacking Adventure from Chimney Rock to Burro Wash - October 2023 Backpacking 10
Mikjik86 Backpacking Indian Peaks Wilderness - King Lake - August, 2023 Backpacking 0
J Backpacking in the UK Backpacking 1
2eez4life Suggestions: Uintas Backpacking with some rock climbing routes Trip Planning 0
M Backpacking 50 miles in the Uinta Mountains for 5 days with ~50 pound pack Backpacking 4
forest dweller What do you think are the most essential nutrients while backpacking? General Discussion 17
B 2P Backpacking Tent Recommendation Gear 13
forest dweller Favorite backpacking foods...convenient, easy, delicious, nutritious? General Discussion 20
forest dweller You guys keep a backpacking gear checklist in Microsoft Word you don't mind sharing? General Discussion 13
forest dweller I have tons of backpacking food past it's expired by date... General Discussion 10
maisweh Backpacking Maze - Please Critique Trip Planning 11
DrNed Backpacking Light Memberships Resource Discussions 6
ANelson Backpacking with a 600MM Lens General Discussion 13
E Weeklong+ backpacking recs in Yellowstone NP? Trip Planning 11
mikejones3 New Backpacking / Hiking Weight Calculator App Gear 0
R Backpacking in the Pacific Northwest Trip Planning 7
NorthwestWanderer Backpacking Grand Teton National Park : Fossil Pass,Fox Creek Pass,Indian Lake,Alaska Basin,Hurricane Pass,Ice Floe Lake,& Snowdrift Lake Backpacking 19
Mikjik86 Backpacking The Wind River Range - Wyoming, September 2022 Trip Reports 3
norwegianxplorer 6 days Backpacking Norway in the Fall (Part 2) Backpacking 4
V four day backpacking trip in southern Utah starting this weekend Trip Planning 4
norwegianxplorer 6 days backpacking Jotunheimen in the fall Trip Reports 4
Desertratgal Backpacking/Packrafting Needles and Maze Districts of Canyonlands Trip Planning 3
BJett Amazing Appalachians - Backpacking/Packrafting the AT and Nantahala River Backpacking 5
kwc Backpacking on the Northville Placid Trail (NPT) Backpacking 13
norwegianxplorer 7 days backpacking Breheimen/Glacier Home National Park in Norway Backpacking 2
SeanIsADesertRat Old guys backpacking in Dark Canyon Backpacking 17
norwegianxplorer Backpacking the Lofoten archipelago in arctic Norway Backpacking 6
Mikjik86 4 Days Backpacking Grand Teton Wilderness/Teton Crest Trail - Wyoming, July, 2021 Backpacking 0
T Southern Utah Backpacking ideas for MLK Weekend? Trip Planning 21
norwegianxplorer Backpacking SAREK NATIONAL PARK, Arctic Sweden, Camping Above RAPADALEN delta. Backpacking 7
TrailScot Canyonlands NP Needles backpacking permit in winter General Discussion 5
ghsmith76 Looking for best multi-day Backpacking Trips near Livingston, MT Trip Planning 6
norwegianxplorer Finding Hidden Glacier, 9 days backpacking Jotunheimen National Park Pt3, Norway. Trip Reports 0
norwegianxplorer Highest Mountain in Norway, Galdhøpiggen, the start of a 9 day backpacking trip in Jotunheimen national park Backpacking 0
montanaclimber Americans: where was your favorite international backpacking trip? Trip Planning 25
norwegianxplorer 5 days Backpacking Rondane National Park, Norway Backpacking 3
norwegianxplorer Backpacking Norway, Femundsmarka National Park Pt 3, Grand Scandinavian Hiking & Backpacking Tour Ep4 Backpacking 0
norwegianxplorer Backpacking Rogen Nature Reserve, Sweden & Femundsmarka National Park, Norway Pt2 Backpacking 2
norwegianxplorer 10 days Backpacking Femundsmarka National Park and Rogen Nature Reserve, Norway and Sweden Backpacking 8
norwegianxplorer Backpacking Scandinavia, Norway & Sweden June-September Backpacking 4
andyjaggy A couple of Backpacking Trip Report Videos Backpacking 0
NorthwestWanderer Backpacking Idaho's Cecil D. Andrus-White Clouds Wilderness : O'Calkens Lake & Bighorn Basin Backpacking 2